E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How many oil question threads can we have?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 06:27 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 BMW 550i Sport
Model Year: 2009
Default How many oil question threads can we have?

Ok, I just joined the E60 club and will be doing my first oil change on my '09 550i.

I know that there is a list of BMW approved oils. BMW 5W-30 and Mobil 1 0W-40 long life approved appear to be the top contenders if you expect to go 15,000 miles between changes.

I agree with everyone else that it's best to go no more than 5000-7500 between changes so the additives are still effective. If I don't go extended intervals, then I don't necessarily need to go with long life approved oil..

My concern is the oil threads I've read about oil leaks with the V8's. I have almost 60k miles and I'm looking at Mobil 1 5W-30 HM for the added seal conditioners to help prevent future leaks.

Anybody else have comments on running Mobil 1 5W-30 HM since it is not on the BMW approved list?

Do you guys use OEM filter kits or are Mann and Hengst just as good?

Thanks!

-Ron

Oh...and I'm sorry for adding yet another oil debate.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:05 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

All the independent BMW mechanics in my area advise against using Mobile 1.

Fuchs is the best (but not easy to get in the US). 2nd best recommendation I got is Liqui Moly. For San Diego 5W-40 offers optimal lubrication.

I use Mann Oil filters. I highly recommend installing a Fumoto drain valve for cleaner and safer oil changes.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:31 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

I use Mobil1 0W-40 and Mann filters (on both BMW and Mercedes cars)
Old 02-26-2015, 09:35 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Same here...Mobil 1 0W-40 and Mann or BMW (which are made by Mann) filters.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:46 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Deep Sea Blue

Same here. Mobile 0w-40 and a Mann filter. Get your oil at Walmart, it's cheap!
Old 02-26-2015, 11:52 AM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Just about all top grade synthetic oils are good now days . But I use Liqui Moly because it's 100 % lab made synthetic . Unlike the full synthetic oils manufactured here in the states that are still using a crude oil base with synthetic additives and call it full synthetic , which is a little misleading in my opinion ..
Old 02-26-2015, 06:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are correct that companies selling oil in the US can market Group III hydroprocessed base stock oil as "full synthetic".

But it is a very big jump to assume that ALL synthetic oil marketed in the US by US companies are automatically Group III base stock because it is legal to call it that.

Does Liqui Moly produce their own base stock? And if not who do they buy from?

And given that pure Group IV base stock is acknowledged as having poor seal swell characteristics, which is better, to add a percentage of Group V esters or a percentage of Group III base stock, and does adding either disqualify the oil as being "purely Group IV synthetic".

As long as there are good marketers, we can all find a favorite flavor who's virtues we believe in. But most tribologists seem to be of the opinion that changing your oil while additives are still present in sufficient quantity is far more important than whether the oil base stock is Group IV or Group III or which brand you are using.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:00 PM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
You are correct that companies selling oil in the US can market Group III hydroprocessed base stock oil as "full synthetic".

But it is a very big jump to assume that ALL synthetic oil marketed in the US by US companies are automatically Group III base stock because it is legal to call it that.

Does Liqui Moly produce their own base stock? And if not who do they buy from?

And given that pure Group IV base stock is acknowledged as having poor seal swell characteristics, which is better, to add a percentage of Group V esters or a percentage of Group III base stock, and does adding either disqualify the oil as being "purely Group IV synthetic".

As long as there are good marketers, we can all find a favorite flavor who's virtues we believe in. But most tribologists seem to be of the opinion that changing your oil while additives are still present in sufficient quantity is far more important than whether the oil base stock is Group IV or Group III or which brand you are using.
I would have to agree with you on the point that changing the oil while the protection of lubricants are still active is whats most important . Like I mentioned todays top oils are all good ...

I just like the honesty when the label says full synthetic ,, its full synthetic , cause that's what Im paying for and what I expect . Not the un truthfull tactics of the oil companies marketing baloney definitions of what they can legally call full synthetic . Its not what you think your paying for .

I have no idea where Liqui Molly gets their base ., but I do know their full synthetic oils are synthetic base.. Germany's strict labeling regulations dont allow crafty deception of synthetic oil definitions , what you see on the label is what you get ..

Here is an interesting article and information from Synlube on synthetics in the oil industries . From the general synthetic definition ,chemistry definition , oil industry definition . Good reading for anyone interested ..All about Synthetic Motor Oil
Old 02-27-2015, 05:44 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by H F

I have no idea where Liqui Molly gets their base ., but I do know their full synthetic oils are synthetic base.. Germany's strict labeling regulations dont allow crafty deception of synthetic oil definitions , what you see on the label is what you get ..

Here is an interesting article and information from Synlube on synthetics in the oil industries . From the general synthetic definition ,chemistry definition , oil industry definition . Good reading for anyone interested ..All about Synthetic Motor Oil
Then if you also read that article, you know that Liqui Molly is still not 'fully synthetic', but just another of the good synthetics out there.

Ironically, having a slight oil leak is beneficial, since that forces one to 'top up' the system, effectively replenishing some of the additives, which leads to longer oil change intervals.

I have used synthetic (PAOs, esters etc.) since the mid seventies, with extended oil changes and have not suffered any oil related engine problems. My last M20 engine went 666,000 kms over 20 years with no problems. It did leak some oil, however, so I would make up about 4 liters over 40,000 kms between changes.

Presently, I use Mobil 1 0W40 European formula or the Castrol 0W40, whichever is cheapest at the time. Engine (N62B4.4) has 235,000 kms and I use about 16,000kms as change interval, with 1 liter make up in that interval.

Salut, Bob P.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:50 AM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
Then if you also read that article, you know that Liqui Molly is still not 'fully synthetic', but just another of the good synthetics out there.

Ironically, having a slight oil leak is beneficial, since that forces one to 'top up' the system, effectively replenishing some of the additives, which leads to longer oil change intervals.

I have used synthetic (PAOs, esters etc.) since the mid seventies, with extended oil changes and have not suffered any oil related engine problems. My last M20 engine went 666,000 kms over 20 years with no problems. It did leak some oil, however, so I would make up about 4 liters over 40,000 kms between changes.

Presently, I use Mobil 1 0W40 European formula or the Castrol 0W40, whichever is cheapest at the time. Engine (N62B4.4) has 235,000 kms and I use about 16, 000kms as change interval, with 1 liter make up in that interval.

Salut, Bob P.
They actually manufacture both types , a synthetic technology that German strict Labeling regulations does not allow to call it a full synthetic oil like here in the states .. Then they also produce a fully 100% non crude synthetic oil .

As I mentioned all top grade oils are good ,, change intervals is what's more important than brand like BF mentioned..