E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How many miles is TOO many for a 528i/xi?

Old 10-05-2015, 04:25 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 528i
Default How many miles is TOO many for a 528i/xi?

I'm looking at 528i/xi's. Just shopping around on cars.com and Craigslist without negotiating, I see plenty of 528s with 100k-120k miles on the for around $13,000. I also see several 70k-80k miles cars for 15k-16k.
I also see that I can find a few 2010 models for around 15k, which I would much prefer due to the CIC. I would also prefer a 2009 over a 2008 due to the idrive controller. I'm much more comfortable paying around 12k for a car that I know is going to keep depreciating, but could stretch it pending my following questions.

My question is: is 120k miles way too many for a 528? I'm not so concerned about mechanical reliability as I've already researched major issues with the n52 and e60 in general, none of which really scare me.

I am much more concerned with interior and ride quality. Is a 120k mile car going to squeak and rattle significantly more than an 80k mile car? Does the e60 interior hold up well? I have fast, loud and uncomfortable toys already, so I want a nice daily driver.

On a side note, I won't buy a car that doesn't have both navigation and cold weather package. I'd love comfort access but that isn't a requirement.

Any input on high mileage e60s would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 10-05-2015, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

The only issue you will have is having high miles with someone that treat the car like crap. But if you are not worried about the mechanical portion of it then you will be ok. Just make sure you have it checked ut by a BMW mechanic so you know what you are getting yourself in to. My 530i has over 150k and it rides as good as it did when it had 40k on it. If you take care of it the quality (ride) of the car will be the same as new. At least this is my experience. Other may have different stories. I have not had one suspension part replaced yet or go bad (knock on wood).
Old 10-05-2015, 05:53 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
The only issue you will have is having high miles with someone that treat the car like crap. But if you are not worried about the mechanical portion of it then you will be ok. Just make sure you have it checked ut by a BMW mechanic so you know what you are getting yourself in to. My 530i has over 150k and it rides as good as it did when it had 40k on it. If you take care of it the quality (ride) of the car will be the same as new. At least this is my experience. Other may have different stories. I have not had one suspension part replaced yet or go bad (knock on wood).
Ya I'm not too concerned about maintenance. I'm not going into this thinking it will be as cheap as a civic to maintain. I've researched how much major parts cost and found DIY articles for just about everything.

The only thing holding me back from a 100k+ mile car is the interior quality. Squeaks and rattles mainly.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

We're starting too see E60's reach 200,000 miles and more. Like what was said, a lot depends on the care the car received from the previous owner(s). The 528's and the 530's appear to be the most trouble-free in the long haul. My '07 530xi has 117,000 miles on it and rides like a dream, but may need shocks in a year or two. The driver's seat leather is a little worn, but NO squeaks and rattles. In fact, I have not seen ANYBODY complain about that on this forum.

The cold weather package is nice but nav is not highly regarded on this vehicle. I don't know anybody who is completely pleased with their built-in nav on ANY model.

Last edited by JayArras; 10-05-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:02 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by JayArras
We're starting too see E60's reach 200,000 miles and more. Like what was said, a lot depends on the care the car received from the previous owner(s). The 528's and the 530's appear to be the most trouble-free in the long haul. My '07 530xi has 117,000 miles on it and rides like a dream, but may need shocks in a year or two.

The cold weather package is nice but nav is not highly regarded on this vehicle. I don't know anybody who is completely pleased with their built-in nav on ANY model.
Good to hear the higher mileage cars are holding up. And believe it or not, I only want navigation because I think the smaller Idrive screen looks almost aftermarket. I just prefer the look of the bigger screen.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:05 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 550i
Model Year: 2010

definitely get the one with the navi. It is actually quite useful. CIC is definitely a step forward though CCC has a big advantage - ability to import POI such as red light cameras and police traps. I have CCC in my wives car and CIC in mine. Both are very useful. And I completely agree with you, Mask looks out of place on that dashboard.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:28 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2013
Engine: 3.0

I'd like to share some personal experience with my 09 528XI and now its at almost 135,000 miles. All I've done is replacing the battery and brakes... But there have been ZERO issues! Oil changed every 3500--5000 miles with a $79 oil kit...BMW oil and Mann filters. :two:

But, now that I hear a squeak, I'm thinking its time for some preventative maintenance. I see that I am now getting the oil filter leak. So, thats going to an indy for that...

Here is the question. What should I just bite-the-bullit and have them do now....?

water pump, thermostats, tensioners?

Thank you guys for all your help.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:29 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi

If maintained, our interiors last a very long time! They age gracefully, The car is built solid enough that it doesn't get sloppy like some cars that are held together with clips and double tape. I can honestly say when i bought my e60 with 150k on the clock, it had less rattles than the 2001 Firebird my dad bought new, and i cared for all through highschool did at 80k miles.

Oil filter is actually pretty easy, watch there are youtube videos and diys all over. Do the water pump and thermo together, if they are original, i'm sorry but better sooner than later. For the tensioner, if it's squealing it's time, however, do the oil filter housing gasket first, as it will get oil and coolant on the front of the engine, no need to trash the new one. a new belt wouldn't be a bad idea, if it's been soaked in oil it can be weakened by it.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:37 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2013
Engine: 3.0

Originally Posted by Andrew06
If maintained, our interiors last a very long time! They age gracefully, The car is built solid enough that it doesn't get sloppy like some cars that are held together with clips and double tape. I can honestly say when i bought my e60 with 150k on the clock, it had less rattles than the 2001 Firebird my dad bought new, and i cared for all through highschool did at 80k miles.

Oil filter is actually pretty easy, watch there are youtube videos and diys all over. Do the water pump and thermo together, if they are original, i'm sorry but better sooner than later. For the tensioner, if it's squealing it's time, however, do the oil filter housing gasket first, as it will get oil and coolant on the front of the engine, no need to trash the new one. a new belt wouldn't be a bad idea, if it's been soaked in oil it can be weakened by it.
Thank you Andrew!
Old 03-30-2016, 08:15 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528i

I live on a 1.5 mile long gravel road. LOTS of bumps and pot holes... The interior on my '08 528i @ 160k has no squeaks, the interior on these vehicles holds up very well. On the other hand, the control arm bushings and struts did not fare so well. Hopefully this helps with your decision making on the "internal squeak" concerns.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many miles is TOO many for a 528i/xi?