E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HELP! PDC Malfunction!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Last week I was driving my car and the screen popped up and said "PDC Malfunction." I didnt do any modifications or changes to the car. I havent changed my previous modifcations or done anything related to PDC. What can it possibly be? I cant afford to bring it to BMW again. Its out of warranty and 120 bucks for them just to look at it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
Old 02-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by mk23169' post='533373' date='Feb 19 2008, 08:45 PM
Last week I was driving my car and the screen popped up and said "PDC Malfunction." I didnt do any modifications or changes to the car. I havent changed my previous modifcations or done anything related to PDC. What can it possibly be? I cant afford to bring it to BMW again. Its out of warranty and 120 bucks for them just to look at it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
Mike, your location would help. The PDC sensors have been know to get water in them which can freeze in cold weather, causing an error or false reading. This could be the issue, but not knowing if you are in Boise, Birmingham or Barcelona makes it difficult to help.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='533376' date='Feb 19 2008, 09:51 PM
Mike, your location would help. The PDC sensors have been know to get water in them which can freeze in cold weather, causing an error or false reading. This could be the issue, but not knowing if you are in Boise, Birmingham or Barcelona makes it difficult to help.
This could be true.. I am in New York and 2 weeks ago it was raining, snowing, and hailing, with temperatures at 10 degrees Farenheit. This is probably it. How do i fix this problem?...Without BMWS help?
Thanks
Mike
Old 02-20-2008, 10:17 AM
MAK
Members

As kscarrol says ice and heavy rain can affect the pdc sensors working.
Some 18 months ago I spilled the contents of a thermos flask in the trunk of my car which caused the PDC to go loopy.
The water had got into the PDC module which lies at the bottom of the spare wheel well. I gently dried it out with wife's hairdryer and it has worked well ever since.
I don't suppose this will be your problem unless any water has managed to get into the trunk but at least you know where the module is if the sensors check out ok.

Hope you find a 'cheap' solution.

Mak
Old 02-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MAK' post='533618' date='Feb 20 2008, 02:17 PM
Some 18 months ago I spilled the contents of a thermos flask in the trunk of my car which caused the PDC to go loopy.
The water had got into the PDC module which lies at the bottom of the spare wheel well. I gently dried it out with wife's hairdryer and it has worked well ever since.
I don't suppose this will be your problem unless any water has managed to get into the trunk but at least you know where the module is if the sensors check out ok.

Mak
This may really help because a huge load of ice did fall into the trunk... ive changed the MPM because i spilled cooler juice in the trunk. Which one is the pdc controller?
thanks
Mike
Old 02-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MAK' post='533618' date='Feb 20 2008, 02:17 PM

Mak
This may really help because a huge load of ice did fall into the trunk... ive changed the MPM because i spilled cooler juice in the trunk. Which one is the pdc controller?
thanks
Mike
Old 02-21-2008, 04:11 AM
MAK
Members

If I remember correctly it was alongside a module for the air bag system. It should have a BMW part number sticker attached and will have 'PDC' printed on it somewhere. You will have to peel back this sticker to get at the electronics for drying it out. Be gentle with the heat though.

If you still cannot locate it let me know and I will check out my own and get back to you. It was such a long time ago so my memory of what was actually printed on the module has faded.

Cheers!

Mak.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:26 AM
MAK
Members

On checking out your profile I see you posted in August 2007 about water or some liquid getting into the trunk wheel well.
That being the case I suspect It may be too late to try drying it out now. Sometimes when these electronics get a soaking they can carry on functioning for sometime but months later the liquid takes its toll and the part will start to malfunction.
Mabye still worth a try though before as I suspect you may have to renew the module.

Good Luck!

Mak
Old 02-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MAK' post='533946' date='Feb 21 2008, 08:26 AM
On checking out your profile I see you posted in August 2007 about water or some liquid getting into the trunk wheel well.
That being the case I suspect It may be too late to try drying it out now. Sometimes when these electronics get a soaking they can carry on functioning for sometime but months later the liquid takes its toll and the part will start to malfunction.
Mabye still worth a try though before as I suspect you may have to renew the module.

Good Luck!

Mak
I know what your saying, but the only thing that broke was the MPM. Either way its snowing here, so tommorow i will take the subwoofers out and check out the well. Im sures theres water in there. Just hoping that its not fried. IF it is, anyone know how much it costs for the PDC module. I think im going to sell this thing and get a 2002 m5.
Mike
Old 02-22-2008, 09:41 AM
MAK
Members

TRY looking in here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Good luck!

Quick Reply: HELP! PDC Malfunction!