E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help with Active Steering being disabled

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 12:47 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2005
Default Help with Active Steering being disabled

Hi Guys,
I am hoping for some help. I have read through countless threads about the Active Steering being disabled. A lot of the threads are from close to 6-7 years ago so the option of just getting the dealer to fix my 2005 530i under warranty doesn’t exactly apply.

When I took it into my trusted auto shop they told me I had 4 bad control arms and before they attempted to fix the traction control issue they wanted to see if fixing the obviously faulty control arms would do it. 4 new control arms later the warning went away and stayed away for 3 months. Then one day it came on. I did the reset and it was gone for two weeks. For the past two weeks it is on all the time and no matter how many times I try to reset it won’t stay off for more than a minute. Every time it is on my turn signals work but I have to manually deactivate them.

I have also had to change the battery a year ago. When this started happening 6 months ago I went back to the interstate shop and they checked the battery and the alternator and both were working normally. I have an 05 with the older type of battery so it did not need to be registered.

From what I have read there are 4 possible solutions.

1. Clean the sensor in steering column – no coding needed
My $0.02 Steering Angle Sensor Fix
2. Buy the BMW “patch kit” for the Steering Angle Sensor, no coding needed. It says it is for 2006 though.
2006 Angle Sensor - Recall # ? - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
3. Go to an independent shop and hope they can figure out what is wrong with it.
4. Go to a dealer and replace the Steering Angle Sensor which requires recoding of all the options you have on the car. This one costs the most and I have read you take it there and it takes forever for them to figure out what is causing it and you always end up paying 1000 to 1200 for the repair.

What do you all the think is the most cost effective solution for me? Is taking apart the steering column something anyone can do with some common sense. I would not mind doing it since I need to fix the radio control rattle at the same time.

Do you all think the Interstate Battery is the problem or all this?

I appreciate any help you can provide.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:49 PM
New Members

when I bought my 2005, it had an active steering malfunction with the annoying yellow light and message at start up.

I removed the steering wheel (disconnected the battery first), took apart the module inside the column (i remember having to remove about 10 tiny torx screws) and I cleaned the ring inside there with q-tips and rubbing alcohol. It's not the same as the infrared eye that people talk about on the newer e60's but its a similar job.

after reassembling everything, I reconnected the battery, started the car and turned all the way left/right 3 times. The light has been off for over two years now...

I'd start with that as it is free and fairly easy to accomplish. any dealer or shop will tell you that you need a new steering sensor module.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:03 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2005

Is their a DIY on this with what I need to do it? Tools?