E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Wiring Outer Jacket Deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 06:25 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i

Hi all,
I removed the front lens of my headlight using a heat gun that I bought at Harbor Freight for $12.99
I did try the oven idea but the whole assy gets very hot to work with.
It seemed easier with me to use the heat gun, I could work my way around --Heat & Move Heat & Move.
Of course maybe the oven eased it up for the heat gun.

Be aware that if you have Adaptive Bi-Xenon headlights, remove the Ballast and Control metal boxes from under the light before putting it in the oven.

Otherwise you could toast them!

There is a company that performs a Halo Mod and they cut off the lens..
There is a post under Parts & Mods that is about dissembling the headlights.

Link Here: https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...lights-138473/

Later,

Bud

Last edited by BuddyB; 09-28-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:54 AM
New Members

I just filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of New Jersey,
where BMW North America is located.
I'll see if anything comes of it.

Bud
Old 09-30-2014, 02:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by BuddyB
Hi all,
I removed the front lens of my headlight using a heat gun that I bought at Harbor Freight for $12.99
I did try the oven idea but the whole assy gets very hot to work with.
It seemed easier with me to use the heat gun, I could work my way around --Heat & Move Heat & Move.
Of course maybe the oven eased it up for the heat gun.[B]

Link Here: https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...lights-138473/

Later,

Bud
What condition is your lens and main housing in now after using the heat gun to remove the lens? Can it be re-sealed and used if needed? Do you have pictures of the headlight in it's current condition or during the process of removing it? What about any techniques used? There are several members on here interested in modifying their headlights and at a replacement cost of nearly 1500 list, I am sure there would be some interest in the specific way and technique that you used.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:02 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

I'm interested too Tony; I actually kept my old headlights, if and when I get some spare time I was going to try to dismantle them, repair all of the wiring with high quality shrink wrap, and maybe do some mods to the headlights while I was in there. high five!

Last edited by KyleB; 09-30-2014 at 03:04 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:57 AM
New Members

My Ride: 07 E60

Seems I may be a candidate who will be looking at the same problem. I have the same warning popping up intermittently as Buddy does. Checked several times and could find no lamps out. Will check the wiring as soon as I have some time.

I live in New Jersey and the previous owner lived in Pennsylvania.....so much for the Florida sun theory.

Pictures of the disassembled headlight would be helpful.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:25 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Absolutely not possible, you can't get it hot enough where it needs to be with out melting things you don't want. The same goes if using a heat gun. The sealant that is used is much stronger than what was used in the e39. Ok, you might be able to get them open with a heat gun but unless you are well experienced and a expert I seriously doubt it. The supporting structure will soften before the sealant does so any prying will cause serious damage.
Well that sucks. But I suppose if some vendor carves them apart with a rotary cutter there's merit in that method. Put it back together with epoxy and fiberglas strips? Need to blow all the dust and cutting swarf out of the assemblies for sure.

I just put new lamps in my AE and didn't notice anything odd about the wiring - maybe I'm OK. Or maybe I just didn't notice. Truly a shitty design if internal wiring degrades so easily. Underspecified cabling? Lowest bidder? Fun.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by KyleB
I'm interested too Tony; I actually kept my old headlights, if and when I get some spare time I was going to try to dismantle them, repair all of the wiring with high quality shrink wrap, and maybe do some mods to the headlights while I was in there. high five!
Kyle, after my inner turn lens depart the fixture was was discovered just resting inside the housing I had really no choice but to perform surgery. I have to admit, I impressed myself with the outcome. Followed the lead from another member on the cutting and then used a body seam sealeant to bring it all back together. So far, several car washed and several bad ass thunderstorms and no leaking of fogging at all. While I was in there I did make the repair of the wires but I still have the left headlight to do and I'm out of beer! I tried the heat gun but the surrounding material becomes just as hot and very soft so I can't imagine this working unless one does not intend to reuse.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:42 AM
Senior Members

As i heard, the excessive heat from the lights will cause this, so not so much with just FL. It could be the the FL sun does add to it though. I was also told by NA that the car program was changed to dim them a little and to dim them when the main light is illuminated. So if anyone is running 0 on the program you might want to make sure you are back to 5 i believe where its supposed to be. 0 keeps them brite all the time.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:27 PM
New Members

Update!
The day after my complaint with the BBB, I got a call from

Meg Harrell Becker
BMW North America LLC
Executive Customer Care
Customer Relations and Services

Meg said that she would have her Field team look into my situation and get back to me.
Though she could not promise anything due to the age and mileage of my BMW.
I later received an email from Meg stating please allow 5 business days for the review.

The very next day (today) I got a call from Meg at BMW North America LLC.
She had made one inquiry via one call to Lauderdale BMW and they all decided exactly how to handle me and my problem..

Meg told me that she called Lauderdale BMW and discussed my car, that in the past 7 years, only recently did I have it serviced by them.
and that I had declined a service repair on what they said was needed.
Therefore, that fact that the car has not been properly maintained along with the age and mileage of the car the only conclusion is that they cannot offer me any support.
Except for the wholesale price of the headlight given to me by Lauderdale BMW ( $1131.76)

I explained to Meg that after the warranty period expired the car was serviced by a private company and not Lauderdale BMW.
Mainly due to the exorbitant service costs at the dealer.
However the car has been properly maintained and all of the required services performed.
I told her that at no time did I refuse service, Items were mentioned to me such as a water pump and thermostat via errors in the computer
but I was also told that those errors could have been related to the battery issue that I took the car in for!
The Service writer advised me to watch it and see if I have any cooling issues.
I have had no cooling issues and I recently changed the coolant and the pump worked perfectly throughout the bleeding process.
To be honest they also mentioned to me a slight oil leak coming from the valve cover gasket.
Meg did not want to hear any of it.
I said that I would be happy to supply the service records and name of the company that has maintained the car.
She said, is it from another BMW dealership? I said no it is a private company with a factory authorized repair technician.
Not good enough for her! LOL!

After all of this smoke screen trying to say that the wires broke down because I did not maintain my car correctly,
I said, "Meg, what does any of this have to do with the wiring in a sealed headlight?
And the fact of who has serviced the car besides Lauderdale BMW in the past 7 years?
And if I had replaced my water pump and thermostat or anything else that Lauderdale BMW recommended at my last service?
None of this has anything to do with the wiring harness in a sealed headlight!
Meg said, "Well it shows that the car was not properly maintained and therefore we deny you any support for the headlight!"
I said, "Meg, how did I not properly maintain the wiring inside the headlight?
Was there any kind of service that either BMW or myself was supposed to do that was not done and has led to the breakdown of the wiring
She just said that those are our findings.
I said have a good day Meg, she said you too Mr. ____

I knew that I was dead before the call was even placed to me, to go on would just be fruitless!
There was absolutely nothing that I could say that would in any way make any difference.
As I said above, Meg called with a verdict and not to discuss anything!
Meg and her associates had already put a plan together.
They would simply say that because the car had not been maintained properly they could and would refuse any support!
This response would also be sent to the BBB so they could discredit me and my complaint!
Remove BMW from any further scrutiny in this matter!

Meg was not calling me today to get some further information in regards to whom and how the car had been maintained or to have any further discussion with me at all.
She was very agitated and a woman on a mission, crush me and this complaint any way possible!
In fact her voice and tone was as if I had personally wronged her in some way!
I could hardly stop her as she was talking very fast through what seemed like a written down statement.

So that's it.
If anyone is thinking of following in my footsteps you better make sure that your car is a dealer serviced car,
because otherwise you will get the same treatment! Don't leave them an out on you!
Have your T's crossed and your i's dotted!

Now that that is all done, I will do what I can to resolve this myself, either I am successful at repairing the headlight or I'll have to buy a new one!

The case of the dead headlight moves on.
PS. It's just the principle of the thing that really peeves me off!
Like the wiring in my headlight would be perfect today if an actual BMW Dealer changed my oil, replace my Valve cover gasket, did my brakes etc. etc. etc.
They know it's bonkers and so do I, but that's the horse they will ride!
Can you say, CYA!

Last edited by BuddyB; 10-01-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:58 PM
New Members

My Ride: '04 545i

Is your headlight working or non-working?

Just curious....

Quick Reply: Headlight Wiring Outer Jacket Deteriorating