E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Flashing Dash Lights w/ Adaptive Headlight MIL

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 11:47 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61
Default Flashing Dash Lights w/ Adaptive Headlight MIL

I've been searching the forums for an issue with the same symptoms as mine with no luck. I have an '06 E61 530XI, when I have my headlights on, either auto or manual on, my dash backlights flash including the center console and the adaptive headlight MIL comes on.

The battery is only a few months old. I pulled the headlight assemblies and checked the controllers for any water or anything else suspicious and didn't see anything. I also disconnected the battery while doing the above R&R.

I have INPA, etc, but my laptop had to be formatted and I am having trouble getting my USB adapter to connect. I will continue to work on that issue, but I am about to have to take it to the dealer
Old 12-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

That's a weird error, I know the light control module powers the light switch backlight - can't remember if it controls all the other orange lights too.

First things first, get your laptop working asap! Check the COM port settings are correct...
Old 12-28-2014, 02:01 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
That's a weird error, I know the light control module powers the light switch backlight - can't remember if it controls all the other orange lights too.

First things first, get your laptop working asap! Check the COM port settings are correct...
I did notice that the adaptive headlight error happens after the car has been running a while. I sat in the car for 45min trying to figure out how to fix a "CAN driver DLL missing" error and the orange lights were flickering all the time once it got dark regardless of switch position. The lights also move right and back to center while parked which seems correct. It wasn't dark enough to drive around and check lights left.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:32 AM
New Members

Got my laptop running and pulled the errors off the car. There were more from when I had the battery disconnected, I cleared the errors and then pulled them again. I don't think the last two have anything to do with my flashing dash:

E R R O R M E M O R Y
---------------------------------------
Date: 29.12.2014 12:52:50 ECU:

LM_AHL JobStatus: OKAY
Variant: LM_AHL

-------------------------------------------------------------
RESULT: 4 error in error memory !

9CAE Control fault
Error counter: 1
Mileage 175688 km

Implausible signal or value
Test conditions fulfilled
Error present now and already stored
Error would not cause a warning lamp to light up
Error code: 9C AE 68 01 55 C9
9CB1 Dimmer pot defective
Mileage 175688 km
Signal or value above threshold
Error not present now, but already stored
Error code: 9C B1 21 01 55 C9
9CB2 Front ride-level height sensor defective
Mileage 175688 km
Signal or value below threshold
Error code: 9C B2 62 01 55 C9
9CB3 Rear ride-level height sensor defective
Mileage 175688 km
Signal or value below threshold
Error code: 9C B3 62 01 55 C9
================================================== ===========
Old 12-30-2014, 01:29 AM
Senior Members

Use DIS it will give your more info.

Dimmer Pot is the knob next to the light switch that changes the brightness of the dash lights - does tjis work at all?
Old 12-30-2014, 03:32 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
Use DIS it will give your more info.

Dimmer Pot is the knob next to the light switch that changes the brightness of the dash lights - does tjis work at all?
The dimmer knob doesn't change the brightness of the flashing dash lights. I will try DIS.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wbdodgeiv
The dimmer knob doesn't change the brightness of the flashing dash lights. I will try DIS.
so that would make your switch defective potentially...
Old 01-25-2015, 07:15 AM
New Members

As a followup to the issue I had, the dealer said the same thing I thought; replace the LMA and the light switch to the tune of $1200. Instead I bought a used switch for $30 and a used LM1 for $120 on ebay.

When I went to install the LM1 I found that the connector was severely corroded. I cleaned the connector with contact cleaner, re-installed it and the dash lights stopped flashing. I decided to not mess with returning the extra switch.

However my adaptive headlights stopped working again, when I pulled the module I noticed that two pins were bent over and when I tried to straighten them they broke off... So I installed the replacement LM1 and coded the VIN and VO to match the CAS but the right front turn signal doesn't work now (works fine with my old one.) Ebay seller is giving me the runaround on returning it, they had a 30day guarantee and claim it isn't programmed correctly.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

did you buy the right LM? It should have DYN on the label somewhere.

The VO and VIN aren't important for getting it to work, as long as you choose CAS to read the VO from, it will use those parameters to code the LM with.

It's very odd that the right turn signal isn't working if the left one is. I don't know if that's down to coding or an actual fault with the LM, they do seem pretty reliable.

By the way, light modules (LM1s) over here are like £30-40, surprised you paid $120 for it!
Old 01-28-2015, 04:13 PM
New Members

So I got the first use module returned and the second installed. With this one I have a start off assistance error and my reverse lights don't work, neither were problems with the OEM part.

I normally get start off and 4x4 DSC errors every time I disconnect the battery, they usually clear after I drive a couple tenths of a mile, except this time. The tail lights is a new error... At least the adaptive lights work.

Quick Reply: Flashing Dash Lights w/ Adaptive Headlight MIL