E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

flash ins cluster Kombi failed, help

Old 01-05-2017, 06:13 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 520d m sport
Default flash ins cluster Kombi failed, help

I tried to flash update Kombi and it failed now i have nothing working except both indicator arrows

i also have nothing on steering colum either leaving me with no wipers so cant drive incase we get rain which is daily here.

i found a vid where someone else has same issue but no writeup following the vid

i have tried to reglash but i get to 10% and then it fails. ZB number is 9177262 winkfp finds update 9194890 which matches superseded in realoem.com

please can someone help

​​​​​​​bmw 520d m sport dec 2007 lci vin WBANX32000C033074
Old 01-06-2017, 12:00 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

are you using a power supply?
Old 01-06-2017, 02:13 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by DanielFD
are you using a power supply?
i didnt at first although i managed to update other ecu after this one failes so confused

i have a power pack which i bought after reading a bit about failed glash but i still getvto 10% or therabout and it fails No response from control unit IFH-0009 Or 0003 or there was an interuption in the communication. If i try with ignition off i dont even get to begin flash i need ignition on to get it started so maybe something is kicking in and disrupting it but i have no clue what

​​​​​​​
Old 01-06-2017, 02:40 AM
New Members

Whats the voltage the car is running when it fails at 10%? you should be over 13.5V, if your powerpack can do that then your good or else thats where your troubleshooting should start.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:38 AM
New Members

Whats the voltage the car is running when it fails at 10%? you should be over 13.5V, if your powerpack can do that then your good or else thats where your troubleshooting should start.
i just bought brand new agm batter and sits steady at 12.5v i just bought a power pack that can give 14v. I was impatient and tried the pack when pushing 12.8v and no difference failed at 10%

the pack mentions to attach + to battery and - to car body but i got conflicting advice to attach both under hood. I will charge the pack up for another while and try again but which way should i connect to car and can i have the pack charging from wall at same time as attached to car? And would it help to have car running at same time?

maybe just my way of thinking that if it updated other modules i expected kombi to be no different.

when it fails error mentions sometimes that the connection was interupted could it be another ecu or something kicking in and causing this

​​​​​​​thanks
Old 01-06-2017, 04:54 AM
New Members

Ill give you little background info on what i know. I use ISTA/P which doesnt let you program without at least 13.4v of power. So i have an OTC 70A power supply. I set that at an automatic 14.2v and i get an amp usage reading. The more amps being sucked the less volts available for the car. So with everything off and programming im usually at 20amps but still at 14.2v some cars shoot up to 60amps depending on whats being programmed like an X6 i updated for a friend but my volts are still at 14.2. I dont know how reliable a power pack is. Can it provide a constant 12.5+ volts with modules turning on and off causing amp fluctuations? Thats the issue. I may be wrong. But it seems like the least reliable variable. Im not a professional, so dont go buy a 600$ power supply because i told you too. But keep it in mind. Maybe find a bmw shop that will let you rent it and take the car too them and try, worth a shot.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:56 AM
New Members

Also i wouldnt plug the power pack in the wall while charging. Too dangerous. Also I only ever use the engine bay battery connections. Its designed to keep your car safe. You might loose a couple 0.x volts but thats piece of mind.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:47 AM
New Members

Also i wouldnt plug the power pack in the wall while charging. Too dangerous. Also I only ever use the engine bay battery connections. Its designed to keep your car safe. You might loose a couple 0.x volts but thats piece of mind.
thanks

should be able to give it another try soon if it fails again i will phone around locally for some more help on power

​​​​​​​i was wondering if was to try using older daten files. I am using v60. The module has had no updates from manufacture date 2007 maybe something to do with such a jump in firmware, what do you think?
Old 01-06-2017, 05:53 AM
New Members

Possible. ISTA/D is very reliable in that aspect. In general on some of my friend's cars i couldn't update just 1 module. I tried forcing it and it wouldn't budge. For example programming the DSC forced me to program the Trans and the DME too. Might be a similar issue with yours. Though usually winkfp wont stop a module for programming for that reason as it doesn't even access those modules. But maybe a module is stepping in and stopping because of the diff in firmware. You seem to know what your doing, why dont you invest in a ICOM setup? I got mine from Aliexpress and its been very very very very useful, also a steal at 300 something dollars. I found a supported DELL laptop locally and just installed the HDD they shipped and i was good to go. I'll get you the link if your interested.

Search this Thread