E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

few bugs with my car

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 09:50 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Default few bugs with my car

hey guys I had a few bugs hear and there with my car and I was hoping someone ones whos had similar issues could shed some light.

well first things first. my tail lights are always flickering, I know I have a week battery because if I leave my car in "on" or "acc" for to long it will die and not start with out a jump start

next thing is sometimes when I start my car my steering wheel re-adjusts to my height but starts to sound like its getting caught on something or losing power. like it starts to stutter as it goes down.

also im getting a warning on my idrive that says "increased emmisions" I haven't checked the code yet but it just gets annoying seeing it up there. does this effect my drive or fuel economy ?

thank you!
Old 04-24-2016, 02:45 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

Pull the OBD codes and get a better idea what's going on!
Old 04-24-2016, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 293 Likes on 282 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Anything with emissions is going to effect fuel economy. I would first replace the battery after if has been tested and deemed bad. Next I would get the code to see why you have an increased emissions light and get it fixed "it could very well be an o2 sensor which can in turn burn the CAT out if drive too long (worse case scenario)". After the battery changed or fix then I would address the tail light. It could be the wiring going bad. Check for frayed wires or at the plug for corrosion. The steering wheel hopefully will be corrected by the battery but I doubt it. If not then it might be the motor going bad which rarely happens. How many miles do you have on your car? How old is the battery?
Old 04-24-2016, 06:41 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530ix
Model Year: 2020

Originally Posted by shawn.ahmadi
hey guys I had a few bugs hear and there with my car and I was hoping someone ones whos had similar issues could shed some light.

well first things first. my tail lights are always flickering, I know I have a week battery because if I leave my car in "on" or "acc" for to long it will die and not start with out a jump start

next thing is sometimes when I start my car my steering wheel re-adjusts to my height but starts to sound like its getting caught on something or losing power. like it starts to stutter as it goes down.

also im getting a warning on my idrive that says "increased emmisions" I haven't checked the code yet but it just gets annoying seeing it up there. does this effect my drive or fuel economy ?

thank you!
keep in mind these cares are very sensitive with electrical issues. A battery that is going bad will cause all sorts of gremlins which manifest themselves as typically SES, and other warning lights, or CCC problems. However yours seem to be related a failing motor in steering and other issues. however who knows, it could be the motor is not getting enough juice after all the other devices get theirs. Check the battery, IBS system and see how it goes. Also some folks have reported good luck in lubricating the steering column gears and not having any more grinding or sticking issues.

Cheers,
Old 04-30-2016, 06:35 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530i

Thanks a lot guys! all of you! really appreciate the tips! ill look into it a little more
Old 05-03-2016, 12:29 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

My steering adjustment column was sticking and making metal to metal sounds too, i undid the bottom dashboard and lubed all the adjustment motors problem solved