E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 V8 owners - Please advise...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 01:44 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw e60 550i fully loaded

2006 bmw 550i 78k
Valve seals need to be replaced
Old 03-25-2015, 06:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Jim165
I'm at about the same mileage with my '08 and no valve stem issues as of yet, although I do use some oil when I romp on the car a bit. I assume it'll be time for stem seal replacement at about 120K. Loosing coolant somewhere...have to top off every 2 weeks. New hoses, coolant tank, thermostat, water pump about 20K miles ago. Fixed leak on hose on top of radiator, no leak from timing cover, so who knows where its going...
Well, you might already be experiencing the valve stem issue if you are using oil. My '04 was using about a quart of oil every 2-3k miles (can't really remember). Then, the valve stem seals became an obvious issue followed by plugged secondary air port. After replacing the valve stem seals, the oil consumption has completely stopped and the secondary air ports cleared themselves (I could not clear the ports at time of seal change even using AGA purpose built tool). Now, my fuel economy has improved as well. The replacement seals are an improved design/material. My advice, bite the bullet and get it done sooner than later.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:59 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i - M Package

How long are the new seals good for?

And other than valve stem seal issue, is there anything else that should be on the radar or needs to be done?
Old 03-26-2015, 12:29 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i - M Package

So I shortlisted the major possibilities mentioned and their approx cost.

1. alt bracket gasket ~$1000
2. coolant transfer pipe ~$800
3. valve stem seals ~$2500
4. engine rear main seal
5. coolant passage cover

I'd like to know what items can be done together while the car is up.

I'm planning on getting the following done soon:

Coolant flush
Brake fluild flush
Power steering fluid flush
Diff fluid flush
Transmission fluid flush
Oil change

I'm not sure if/when the water pump was ever replaced, but I have a feeling that the transmission was replaced under warranty about 60k MILES ago. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:17 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 alpina b5

I have a 2006 e60 v8
currently at 100000 km, no major (or minor) issues, apart from oil, filters, fuel, tires, wipers, disks, brake pads,... regular stuff
Old 03-30-2015, 05:21 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by 550Hi
So I shortlisted the major possibilities mentioned and their approx cost.

1. alt bracket gasket ~$1000
2. coolant transfer pipe ~$800
3. valve stem seals ~$2500
4. engine rear main seal
5. coolant passage cover

I'd like to know what items can be done together while the car is up.

I'm planning on getting the following done soon:

Coolant flush
Brake fluild flush
Power steering fluid flush
Diff fluid flush
Transmission fluid flush
Oil change

I'm not sure if/when the water pump was ever replaced, but I have a feeling that the transmission was replaced under warranty about 60k MILES ago. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
If it was me:

I would do Items #1-3 together. Alt bracket really is a stand-a-lone repair, but to do the coolant transfer pipe, you have to remove the water pump. So, part of the way to getting good access to the alt bracket. Might as well.

Items #4-5 should be done together. But, only if one or both shows signs of trouble as you have to drop the transmission to get access. Or do both if the transmission needs to be removed for any reasons such as front main seal (my case).
Old 04-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

I have a 08 550i with 130k and I got it with 90k. first two years no problems with the car. So far last year I have done:

Alternator (regulator was bad)
Front control arms (4)
Front links (2)
Valve cover (passenger side was leaking)
Pulley kit (belt, roller tensioner)
Rear subframe bushings
Active steering module and harness
Water pump (bearing started to make noise)

This is not including the regular stuff like spark plugs, oil changes, brake fluid changes and tires. I got most of my parts from a place that sells OEM parts cheaper than the dealer.

I love my car and I drive it hard so I don't mind fixing whatever needs to be done. As long as you have a good Indy shop you will save a ton of money instead of going to the dealer.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:32 PM
New Members

My Ride: Fully loaded 2010 BMW 550i M-Sport

Originally Posted by 550Hi
Hi all,

I am in a bit of dilemma where I would like to get some feedback based on your experience so that I can make an informed decision. I am going to try to make this short and sweet.

I currently the second owner of a 2008 BMW 550i. Auto. No Nav. M Package. I have the service history of the vehicle since day 1. It's been meticulously maintained. (FYI: Previous cars. E46 M3 - kept it for 4 years. E46 330i - kept it for 6 months). I am not new to the BMW scene and am aware of maintenance upkeep etc. I do not cut corners when it comes to maintenance.

I have had the 550i for almost 2 years now and so far (Thank God) it's been absolutely amazing. No major issues. Apart from a brake fluid flush, regular oil changes and belt replacements, nothing else. I am currently at 146,500km. (~91,500 miles). I do like the car. I love the styling. I enjoy driving it. I am a bit weary of any possible major issues that could come up and this is where I need your feedback/help. I plan on doing a complete fluid overhaul (Brake, Coolant, Tranny, Diff, Power Steering, Oil) flush/change, replace fuel filter, spark plugs & air filters at 150,000km (~93,750 miles).

Previously I sold the 330i because I wanted the M3. I should not have sold the M3 but due to car seat (baby) issues I had to jump into a sedan. I do miss the M3 and had been perfectly maintained. Question is: Do I keep the car? Or should I sell it now? I plan on getting the F10 M5 in about 2 years or so. I do not mind holding onto this car as I really do enjoy it but not if it is going to turn into a money pit.

I have seen this thread but not a lot of V8 owners have reported their mileage/issues.

From current owners of V8s (or 2008+ 550i specifically), what is your current mileage? Have you had any major issues? Is there anything else that I should add to the maintenance list above? Should I keep it?

Am I getting cold feet for no reason? Thinking too much?

Please advise.
I have a 2010 550i with exactly 68883 runs strong the car was taken care of no major issues have to fix tie rods and struts in about a year no leaks thank god I Work at a BMW dealership so I have the lifted once or twice a month to see if there is anything and its clean n issues at all very happy with how comfortable the car is and how low she sits what a beauty went off on left field but hopes this helps you
Old 04-01-2015, 02:34 PM
New Members

My Ride: Fully loaded 2010 BMW 550i M-Sport

Originally Posted by 550i88
I have a 2010 550i with exactly 68883 runs strong the car was taken care of no major issues have to fix tie rods and struts in about a year no leaks thank god I Work at a BMW dealership so I have the lifted once or twice a month to see if there is anything and its clean n issues at all very happy with how comfortable the car is and how low she sits what a beauty went off on left field but hopes this helps you

The 550I comes with M-Sport Fully Loaded that I Own
Old 04-02-2015, 05:16 PM
New Members

My Ride: 545i

I have an 05 545i, but the engines as stated are similar. I feel the v8 gets a bad rep for reasons that are some what unfounded. Mine has 135k miles on it and is going strong. It uses no oil between changes and has minimal leaks and really runs quite well.

Things I have done:
Replaced seal from valve body to trans
Replace CV2 solenoid in valve body
valve cover gaskets
spark plugs
coil packs
eccentric shaft sensor (broke one doing valve cover gasket)
upper timing cover gaskets
coolant temp sensor o ring

So far that's it. I'm sure I will have to do other maintenance items to the car, but considering I paid $1000 for it a year ago I can't complain. I love it

Quick Reply: E60 V8 owners - Please advise...