E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 12:13 PM
H F
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by Jargoude
Have had my car (08 550 with sport package) at dealer for over 10 weeks total (2 different visits) and was just told that my transmission is not shifting properly because I replaced stock 19" wheels with 20" aftermarket wheels...... Can this really be true? I have had the tranny replaced and the mechatronic last year and still same issue. This dealer has had my vehicle for going on 6 weeks and I think that they are just trying to get rid of my car and my issues by saying that when they put the original diameter wheels and tires and drove it, all is well????? HELP can this really be a valid reason? I run winter 17" wheel/tire combo I bought from TireRack and still have the same issue..... I need to know if I should pick up my car and take it to another dealer.. hard to believe that a wheel switch makes all go away. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Have you done a transmission software update ?
Old 09-12-2013, 12:19 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550 w/sport package. Carbon Black, Blk interior Logic 7 upgraded Giovanni 20" wheels

H F, I have to assume that the BMW dealer has, but when they call me back (supposedly today) I will ask them that. Is there a specific version that I should ask for?
Old 09-13-2013, 06:49 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Here is my point on the tire size. The dealer is telling you the problem is you wheel/tire setup and that if you went back to the original set up you would not have a problem.

Not sure if I buy that, but I can think of a way to prove it may not be.

You can figure this out by finding your tire size and the revolution per mile for that tire. Compare that against the owners manual approved tire sizes and the revolutions per mile for those tires. You can find the revolutions per mile for tire sizes on tirerack.com and other web sites.

Once you find the revolutions per mile for your tires and the tires recommended in the owners manual compare them. If they are the same, it *cannot* be you wheel/tire setup. The car does not know what size your rims are.

Most references I have seen say that 2% to 3% difference is not relevant. If it is more than that, maybe that is the problem -- not sure???
Old 09-13-2013, 11:05 AM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by H F
Have you done a transmission software update ?
Yes i did ,, My trany had a first to second gear serge. Update fixed it and it has never came back.
I think the dealer is giving you a bunch of garbage. I don't buy it.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:39 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550 w/sport package. Carbon Black, Blk interior Logic 7 upgraded Giovanni 20" wheels

Originally Posted by H F
Yes i did ,, My trany had a first to second gear serge. Update fixed it and it has never came back.
I think the dealer is giving you a bunch of garbage. I don't buy it.

So the dealer delivered my car back to me and basically washed there hands of it. It still has the issue and only when the car is first started.....if a wheel/tire setup was incorrect then it should have the issue ALL THE TIME....... not sure where to go from here. I am thinking of selling it or trading in. Thanks for all your help on this thread!
Old 09-25-2013, 06:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

As others have said, you need to compare overall tire diameter between factory tire size and replacement tire size. The wheel size is irrelevant. There is a formula (do a internet search) to help with this task. If you have substantially changed the tire diameter, I suppose it could be confusing the transmission computer due to implausible vehicle/gear speeds.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:30 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i sport package with Mteck & M5 Rims Mpower

It's not the wheel it's either a software update that you need or the mechanic don't know what his doing and the dealer is trying to rip you off Tires has nothing to do with the tran .
Old 09-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Jargoude
When my car is first started and I pull away at slow speeds in AM, it shifts thru the gears so quick that it "stutters" because the RPM's are so low......
I also have an 08 550. I also have this same quirk, but wouldn't necessarily call it a problem, as a software update may fix it. However, I don't care to bring it to the dealer.

It only does this on a cold start within the first 3 minutes of slow driving, and only in D mode. I just drive away in DS or M manual mode, and I don't experience the problem at all. After proper engine/drivetrain warmup, then I can switch to D.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d M Sport, Alpine White, 2006, Australian
Model Year: 2005

If this only happens on a cold start you may all be treating the symptoms rather than the cause. I would be checking up the engine end of the business. Perhaps its a fuel mix problem when running cold.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:15 AM
New Members

TIre size on the vehicle now is a square setup of 245/35/20. Recommended BMW size is 245/30/20. Can this be the culprit? They have checked the engine and fuel system and can locate no fault codes or anything pertaining to the fuel......am at a loss.

Quick Reply: E60 transmission issues