E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Remote Key problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:31 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 2007 530xi that we keep in the garage. For the past month or so we've been having a problem with both keys. When my wife goes out in the morning to get in the car the key doesn't always unlock or lock the car. Sometimes hitting the button several times will eventually work and others she has to pull out the generic key and lock/unlock manually. When she manually unlocks the car she then loses all her radio presets as well as seat presets. We live in the northeast and it gets pretty cold. We also keep the keys hanging in the garage. So our first thought was that maybe it was too cold for the keys or the keys were losing charge very quickly. If anyone has any help I would greatly appreciate it.

Chris
Old 12-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport 911 carrera cab 2006 Toyota 4 runner 740I sport - sold 735il - sold 528e - sold

Originally Posted by cbomba
We have a 2007 530xi that we keep in the garage. For the past month or so we've been having a problem with both keys. When my wife goes out in the morning to get in the car the key doesn't always unlock or lock the car. Sometimes hitting the button several times will eventually work and others she has to pull out the generic key and lock/unlock manually. When she manually unlocks the car she then loses all her radio presets as well as seat presets. We live in the northeast and it gets pretty cold. We also keep the keys hanging in the garage. So our first thought was that maybe it was too cold for the keys or the keys were losing charge very quickly. If anyone has any help I would greatly appreciate it.

Chris
Sounds like you need to change the Battery in both of them . About $5.00
Old 12-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Silber-grau/grau. Vanilla flavored except for cold WX pkg.

Originally Posted by cbomba
...We also keep the keys hanging in the garage. So our first thought was that maybe it was too cold for the keys or the keys were losing charge very quickly. If anyone has any help I would greatly appreciate it.

Chris
1. Have you tried bringing the keys into the house and see what happens to their reliability?
2. What is the condition of your battery (in the car)?
3. How is your FM reception (could be diversity antenna, amplifier, contacts)?

My best guess goes to No. 1.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

What key do you have? Look at the part # on the back. Is it a keyfob for comfort access and does it have the cut key inside of it?
Old 12-15-2010, 06:47 PM
Members

My Ride: '07 550i Black/M-Tech Body Kit/SMG/Sport/Navigation/ Logic7/ Comfort Access/Matte Black Kidney Grilles (eurosportdesign) Performance Mods: None yet... Coming Soon: Upgraded Brake Rotors/Pads, Stainless Steel Brakes Lines

Key battery for sure...try Radio Shack, they are cheap and easy to replace. this happened to me last week and its really annoying when you comfort access doesn't work!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by VT550i
Key battery for sure...try Radio Shack, they are cheap and easy to replace. this happened to me last week and its really annoying when you comfort access doesn't work!
But, as others have said, you can only change the battery if the car has comfort access. If it doesn't have CA, then the keys recharge themselves through the slot on the steering wheel...
Old 12-15-2010, 10:58 PM
Members

When I bought my car used I had the same problem. The dealer had to get me a new key. I think it cost around 150 or so I could be wrong on the price. But you do need a new key.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d m sport black, leather beige interior

I am having the same problem only after some recent body work. I have the key fob but no comfort access. I still can not understand how the fob gets charged as there are no metal connectors on the outside. Any ideas?
Old 12-16-2010, 03:29 AM
JMC
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5, Silverstone II/Black

Try cleaning your back windshield with a mild solvent to clear any any buildup of wax over the key antenna. I've had this problem at various times with my first two E60s and eventually found a competent service guy who told me that wax from washing the car is the main cause of reduced effectiveness of the remote signal. Heavy carnauba waxes cause the most problems apparently. I use white spirit on a microfibre cloth. Take care not to get any on the paint.

It's probably also worth taking the keys in the house as other posters have said though.

By the way, maybe I'm just paranoid but I would never leave my car keys in the garage by the car or near the front door - they're always in a completely different part of the house. If someone wants to take my baby away they're going to have to work for it
Old 12-16-2010, 03:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d m sport black, leather beige interior

Thank you.... or it might be the recently fitted tint film

Quick Reply: E60 Remote Key problems