E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 LCI Xenon Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not just another 'E60 LCI Xenon Conversion' thread, I'm looking for clarification on a few things. I have searched and searched for weeks and already spent a few hours trying to get them to work.

Facts:
- 2004 530i pre lci halogen headlights
- already purchased OEM LCI xenon headlights with bulbs, ballasts etc.
- car is running OEM LCI taillights with bruce miranda cables. Works perfect.

What I've tried to do:
- I found a diy that supposedly meant you didn't have to upgrade the LM. I tried this, didn't work. Didn't know where to wire certain things, maybe his DIY was for a pre LCI xenon car or something. I would put the link here but it's saved on my other comp.
- I was browsing on my iPad and saw someone had a harness that meant it was PnP between LCI Xenon and the pre LCI headlight wiring loom. Kicking myself for not saving the link and now I can't find it... It basically had the two connectors from the pre LCI loom on one end and the other was something that plugged into the back of the OEM LCI Xenon headlight.

My questions:
- is there a way to do this without upgrading the LM?
- If not, then I figure I will just buy the OEM retrofit cable (not sure if this will solve the issue of pre lci wiring loom to LCI xenon headlight socket as they are rather different)
- I'm willing to do custom wiring etc, whatever is needed, I tried making my own wiring diagram but then gave up after a while as it was rather difficult.

Any knowledgeable and helpful replies would be most appreciated.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bmroxm5
Not just another 'E60 LCI Xenon Conversion' thread, I'm looking for clarification on a few things. I have searched and searched for weeks and already spent a few hours trying to get them to work.

Facts:
- 2004 530i pre lci halogen headlights
- already purchased OEM LCI xenon headlights with bulbs, ballasts etc.
- car is running OEM LCI taillights with bruce miranda cables. Works perfect.

What I've tried to do:
- I found a diy that supposedly meant you didn't have to upgrade the LM. I tried this, didn't work. Didn't know where to wire certain things, maybe his DIY was for a pre LCI xenon car or something. I would put the link here but it's saved on my other comp.
- I was browsing on my iPad and saw someone had a harness that meant it was PnP between LCI Xenon and the pre LCI headlight wiring loom. Kicking myself for not saving the link and now I can't find it... It basically had the two connectors from the pre LCI loom on one end and the other was something that plugged into the back of the OEM LCI Xenon headlight.

My questions:
- is there a way to do this without upgrading the LM?
- If not, then I figure I will just buy the OEM retrofit cable (not sure if this will solve the issue of pre lci wiring loom to LCI xenon headlight socket as they are rather different)
- I'm willing to do custom wiring etc, whatever is needed, I tried making my own wiring diagram but then gave up after a while as it was rather difficult.

Any knowledgeable and helpful replies would be most appreciated.
You will need to get the LM2 that's the only choice plus getting the retrofit kit is the best way to go and creates less hassle with new harnesses that comes with it. The retrofit harness is cheap I got mine for $35 USD, so that's my suggestion.

Check this link out and see if it may help. Here you go http://forums.5serie...ion-parts-list/

-Jack
Old 03-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Someone recently did an upgrade

https://5series.net/forums/topic/121...s/page__st__15
Old 03-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Members

Thanks for the links, was hoping to not have to replace the LM but looks like I might have to.

Will replacing the LM interfere with my LCI tails currently running Bruce Miranda cables??
Old 03-15-2012, 12:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bmroxm5
Thanks for the links, was hoping to not have to replace the LM but looks like I might have to.

Will replacing the LM interfere with my LCI tails currently running Bruce Miranda cables??
I would think so that's why I bought the retrofit cables and sold bruce's cables.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:16 AM
Senior Members

If you want to keep LM1 just put in LCI halogens + HID kit, not that different from Xenons (except the AE's look a bit better on Xenons, but doesn't justify the extra money/work, you can get really nice AEs with 10W LED in halogens also, check some of my photos I've recently done just that).
If you do LM2 then you have to run cables from retrofit kit from LCI tails in the boot all the way to under the steering wheel where the LM is located. That's why I went for LCI halogens and Bruce cable.

You can make a plug and play harness for LCI halogens but not for Xenons.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:53 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I did such conversion pre-LCI halogen -> LCI Bi-Xenon like you planned 3 yrs ago ... except my car came w/ LM2 from the factory.

I would recommend upgrading your LM so you can do full conversion including the tail lights and gain a lot more things such as welcome lights etc.

Here's my thread after my conversion = https://5series.net/forums/topic/775...my-headlights/ ... nothing compare the stock LCI AE
Old 03-15-2012, 07:58 AM
Members

I've recently fitted LCI AHL xenons although the AHL part doesnt work but have the bi-xenon feature and better AE's , required a bit of custom wiring inside the headlights but no error messages and the lighting output is excellent. I already had the LM2 fitted
Old 04-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Cwest
You will need to get the LM2 that's the only choice plus getting the retrofit kit is the best way to go and creates less hassle with new harnesses that comes with it. The retrofit harness is cheap I got mine for $35 USD, so that's my suggestion.

Check this link out and see if it may help. Here you go http://forums.5serie...ion-parts-list/

-Jack
Thanks

the link doesn't seem to work?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
If you want to keep LM1 just put in LCI halogens + HID kit, not that different from Xenons (except the AE's look a bit better on Xenons, but doesn't justify the extra money/work, you can get really nice AEs with 10W LED in halogens also, check some of my photos I've recently done just that).
If you do LM2 then you have to run cables from retrofit kit from LCI tails in the boot all the way to under the steering wheel where the LM is located. That's why I went for LCI halogens and Bruce cable.

You can make a plug and play harness for LCI halogens but not for Xenons.
Thanks for the tip,

unfortunately already have the LCI xenons... so will either upgrade the FRM (and muck around with LCI tails grr ><) or swap for LCI Halogens.

Quick Reply: E60 LCI Xenon Conversion