E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 545 Tranmission error? Or can you help

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 03:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E60 545 Tranmission error? Or can you help

Hi
I really hope there is someone out there that can help me with the issue I am having on me beloved E60 545 Automatic.
As a backgrounder I normally take very good care of my car and that event includes changing the transmission oil and rear diff oil as well.
About a year ago I started getting some pinging noises coming from underneeth the car. It sounds strange and I have never heard any other car emit this sound.
Best way to explain it is that is happens as something engages the "insert missing word".
I am not a mechanical wizzard but you know just like a clutch engaging and disengaging even though it is an automatic. Don't know what the similar thing is called.
I have had it at my local BMW dealership but they cannot find anything, same goes for a local enthusiast tuning shop. There is no slack to be found anywhere.
So I just continued to drive and all was fine - until a couple of weeks ago when I started getting transmission errors. However as soon as I would stop and reset the car (power off, open door and then close and re-insert car key) the all would be fine.
I had the BMW dealer check oil levels and the transmission oil was low so about ½ liter oil was added and that seems to fix the issue until it happened again two days ago.
The error message we get it rather cryptic and only states transmission error F1, F2 and F3.
Nothing that really gives a good idea about what is happening.
I have attached an MP3 file with a recording of the sound. This is while the engine is in idle and I am just shifting between drive and reverse.
Really hope someone can help me before I am forced into a a complete rebuild of the transmission as that is 10K USD here. Not something I need right now.

The car is from 2004 and have 220K kilometers on the dial but runs like a new one and I really love this car so would go pretty far to keep it..
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Car Noise Copy.zip (78.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 09-17-2014, 11:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

where did you put the recording device? under the car?
Old 09-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Members

No, my daughter was standing at the side of the car somewhere around the rear tire.
I have had the car raised up on a hydraulic lift and together with a mechanic tried to locate where the sound is coming from but without luck. The drive train, gearbox and diff all resonate so no luck.
Will take any ideas, instead of a let's rebuild your transmission to the tune of USD 10K and the realize that it did not help at all..