E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by Shebs' post='274247' date='Apr 26 2006, 03:22 AM
Is it the Dynamic Stability Control or the Dynamic Drive?
The error message shows it's Dynamic Drive, but I think it's the same as DSC
The following users liked this post:
dv8ed (09-04-2022)
Old 04-26-2006, 11:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='274400' date='Apr 26 2006, 09:00 PM
The error message shows it's Dynamic Drive, but I think it's the same as DSC
Freewilly,
The DSC is the Dynamic Stability Control, this is the system responsible for keeping your car from sliding in case you push it beyond its limit causing understeering or oversteering. The DSC cuts off the power from the engine and brakes each wheel individualy in order to maintain the stability of the car and to force it to take the right path through a corner or a sudden maneuver. When DSC is intervening to correct your path, it blinks as a yellow triangle circumscribed inside a circle in the middle of the meters display in front of you.

The Dynamic Drive on the other hand is an adaptive shock absorbers system that adjusts the body roll angle of the car in curves (the degree the car is tilting ot the left or to the right). This helps in adding a sense of security to the driver and also is claimed to help increase the car's cornering speeds. The idea of Dynamic Drive is pretty simple, if it senses that you are taking a right curve for example and the car starts body rolling to the left, the system increases the damping coefficient of the left shock absorbers in order to try to bring the car back to near horizontal.

Since the problem you have seems to be concerning Dynamic Drive, you should start feeling that the car is 'tilting' more in curves if the system is not working properly. IMO a malfunction in the DSC is even worrse than one in DD. In both cases, you should take your car as soon as possible to BMW service because this malfunction can affect the car handling thus threatning your safety.

Shebs
Old 06-12-2006, 04:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

This happens to me when I lurch into a low-speed turn. The dynamic drive shuts itself off, and I get the error message. Next time I restart, it seems fine. It's been in to the dealer twice, and both times they recalibrated the steering angle sensor, which hasn't fixed it. They don't seem to know it's a "feature" well-known to this forum. Anyway, I'm going in for a third try tomorrow. I want to hear either "Yes, we know it doesn't work well at low speed, but nothing is broken", or "We'll fix it before the warranty runs out next week".
Old 06-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Members

Yup, happened to me just this past week. It was on for a couple of days, then disappeared by itself for a day, then re-appeared and hasn't gone away since. I'm scheduled for service this Friday. I have the same error plus a Hill-assist brake error.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Contributors

I was about to post something similar. Here are my symptoms so far:

1) About 3 weeks ago when i started the car i got a big SOS mal functioning. It told me to call my dealer bla bla and my phone was not working. After 15min. of having that msg, I stopped the car and shut it off. (well, i stopeed to get my green tea and ginseng). After I got from the vitamin store, I turned the car on and everything was fine.

2) about a week ago, i got another strange icon. No digit cam in the car to take a picture. I did the same, I stopped after 15 min or so. This time i did not stop for green tea or anything like that but to grab the 12 great ideas Part II books set from penguin. After I got out from form the book stores, started the car and everything was fine.

3) today...got out from work 20 min. earlier because the linux server was refusing to let me loging (I thought I needed a break) so when I came to my car and started it, it gave me a small icon with "a circle and triangle in the middle in yellow and "'brake' - word" in yellow. I ignored it. After 15 min, i stopped to get gas.

After i started the car, the little icon with the circle and the triangle in the middle enlarged like 4x. I shutted the car off ...and this time..the yellow circule with the triangle in the middle and "break" in yellow stayed on until i got home. While driving home, I pressed the SOS button..talk to BMWNA and they told ..as long those symbols stayed in yelllow they are not bad but nevertheless to call the dealer. He stated that if they turn RED to stop the car.

I come home shutted the car off...open the door...then decided to close the door and started the car..and all those funny symbols are gone..

-- nevertheless..the dealer is going to hear from me.: 4K miles in my car. (seriously.....) going to call to see if there is something wrong with her..Hey..i dont cheat on her..i treat her right......i like to know why she is complaining about! I thought i was her perfect date . Screw my english..i am hungry and energyless.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='273530' date='Apr 24 2006, 08:55 PM
Yes, it is exactly the same as mine. But the problem went away after 3 days, it's been working okay for now.
Me too. In fact my went away as I stopped at a service station to get to coffee before I called BMW assist.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by freed0m' post='272282' date='Apr 21 2006, 11:24 AM
Hi Freewilly,

Not sure if your warning message is the same as mine (see attached images). However, I recommend that you let the dealer take a look at your car anyway for possible prevention in the future. Since you are not in a hurry at the moment, make sure to schedule your appointment ahead of time so your can request for a BMW courtesy car.

Best regards,

Freedom
I got it the other day like i stated previously yesterday (6/13) and this morning(6/14) again. I will call the deaaler today.

After it goes away, i get the same symbols in a smaller version and the brake liight (in yellow) both remain on my dashboard for the duration of my trip. Calling the dealer today.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Members

Update guys - I took it to the dealer today and after running the diagnostics, they determined that one of the sensors is bad. Apparently this sensor has been failing pretty often across the BMW models and so there's a backorder for getting replacements shipped in. Got a Chrysler loaner for a week.... from Southbay BMW. Their service and facilities are pretty good though.

Anyone know of a dealer that loans out BMW's instead of Enterprise rentals in the LA area? Coming from Lexus service, I've gotten used to in-and-out in 10 minutes with a new Lexus loaner car. Took me nearly 30 minutes of waiting and a bit of persuasion to get the Pacifica instead of the Elantra. Ha!
Old 06-16-2006, 01:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i 6-Speed Manual, Jet Black, Sport Package, Navi, Premium Package, 15% Tint, B&B Exhaust, 20" Black Rims with Polish Lip

Originally Posted by amigo525' post='297298' date='Jun 14 2006, 04:22 AM
I got it the other day like i stated previously yesterday (6/13) and this morning(6/14) again. I will call the deaaler today.

After it goes away, i get the same symbols in a smaller version and the brake liight (in yellow) both remain on my dashboard for the duration of my trip. Calling the dealer today.
thats wat happened to me...well i 4got wat they said but i remember they had to replace something tat was on backorder in germany and it can take up to 2 weeks.. i jus brought it in wednesday...my SA said alot of e60 has this problem for some reason.. he called me today saying the order has come in yet and he'll call monday for the update..
Old 07-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='272256' date='Apr 21 2006, 11:19 AM
I had a warning message Dynamic Stability Control Malfunction pops up few days ago, and ask me to contact BMW dealer ASAP. I had an appointment made for this morning. The warning message pops up every time right after I start up for 3 days. But since last night, the warning message stopped, I called the dealer and canceled the appointment because I don't think they will do anything if there is no warning message.

Does anyone experiencing the problem before?

I had the same problem... everyone in this form was very helpful... I even went as far as email some users to get further detail on this DSC problem

Here was my solution... this is very simple but it fixed my problem (thank God) MAKE SURE THE AIR PRESSURE OF ALL THE TIRES ARE EQUAL... IT?S EASY TO CHECK... AND FIX...

since my tires had different air pressure... it thought my car was unstable... even when I took a simple U-Turn or any turns for that mater... it just shut off.... I had to restart it and my problem when away... but it kept on happening.... the air pressure was the solution for me... and probably for a lot of you out there...

Another note... get a simple alignment... that will also help... if you notice the steering a little off....

If tires are bad... replace them....

Quick Reply: Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) Malfunction