E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dynamic Drive malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 06:37 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i Loaded to max
Default Dynamic Drive malfunction

Hello everyone,
I have a 2004 530i that's been giving me troubles on and off for over a year now. I'm getting error messages like the infamous Dynamic Driving Malfunction or Passenger Restraint error that lights up the little airbag symbol on the dash. I have been clearing the errors using the Inpa program which usually takes care of it for months.Yesterday, I was leaving a friend's house and that Dynamic Driving Malfunction error lit up my screen and rang the little audible alarm 10 times in a row. The car was weak in power and it was going nuts! After 5 minutes of driving, it settled down and everything seemed OK. I looked up the error codes using Inpa and got MANY including D35F, 5F78, FFFB, and 2F9A, I ended up unhooking the battery for a little while and tried it again. The car ran great and there were no errors showing on my dash. After 30 minutes of driving, the DDM error came back and there's 1 code showing in Inpa... 5F78.
I check my voltage at the battery while idling and it was 14.2 volts +/- .4 volts. When I turned the headlights on along with the air conditioner and wipers, the voltage dropped to around 12V while idling.
The car only has 10,000 miles on it. Why would this happen? My battery was new from BMW in 2013 and it seems to hold a charge OK. I'm wondering if my voltage regulator is bad or something. What does the 5F78 code mean?
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Randy
Old 02-14-2017, 01:20 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 525i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Randmaster
Hello everyone,
I have a 2004 530i that's been giving me troubles on and off for over a year now. I'm getting error messages like the infamous Dynamic Driving Malfunction or Passenger Restraint error that lights up the little airbag symbol on the dash. I have been clearing the errors using the Inpa program which usually takes care of it for months.Yesterday, I was leaving a friend's house and that Dynamic Driving Malfunction error lit up my screen and rang the little audible alarm 10 times in a row. The car was weak in power and it was going nuts! After 5 minutes of driving, it settled down and everything seemed OK. I looked up the error codes using Inpa and got MANY including D35F, 5F78, FFFB, and 2F9A, I ended up unhooking the battery for a little while and tried it again. The car ran great and there were no errors showing on my dash. After 30 minutes of driving, the DDM error came back and there's 1 code showing in Inpa... 5F78.
I check my voltage at the battery while idling and it was 14.2 volts +/- .4 volts. When I turned the headlights on along with the air conditioner and wipers, the voltage dropped to around 12V while idling.
The car only has 10,000 miles on it. Why would this happen? My battery was new from BMW in 2013 and it seems to hold a charge OK. I'm wondering if my voltage regulator is bad or something. What does the 5F78 code mean?
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Randy

Hello, I know it's years later, and most are probably long passed this, but did you ever figure out what the issue(s) was/were? I'm having the same issues with my 2004 525i I continuously get the Passenger Restraint Error, increased emissions error, DDM error, and most recently the SOS call system malfunction.

I've been getting the passenger restraint error for years now and within the last year or so, I just chose to ignore it and have stopped clearing it altogether since it constantly comes back each time I start the car.

The increased emissions error I can clear and it will usually stay away for about 24-48 hours then it'll come back.

The DDM error only happens if I leave the shifter in "DS" mode for a long period of time. otherwise I don't see that pop up.

and the SOS call system malfunction comes up at the same time each time I start the car; roughly 60-90 seconds after starting the car it pops up.

I'm seriously hoping someone can direct me in the right direction, or just tell me what I need to replace so I can just do it. PLEASE!

Thank you!!!
Frenchy
Old 02-15-2017, 02:15 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530D Saloon
Default Increased emissions

Hi Frenchy, have had the same error myself, 4 possible reasons:-
1. EGR valve clogged up with oil and gunge.
2. EGR controller not working.
3.Not achieving adequate coolant temperature ( > 88 degrees).
4.Leaking pressure tube connection from controller to EGR valve diaphragm.

Hope this helps

Originally Posted by frenchyrider267
Hello, I know it's years later, and most are probably long passed this, but did you ever figure out what the issue(s) was/were? I'm having the same issues with my 2004 525i I continuously get the Passenger Restraint Error, increased emissions error, DDM error, and most recently the SOS call system malfunction.
Originally Posted by frenchyrider267

I've been getting the passenger restraint error for years now and within the last year or so, I just chose to ignore it and have stopped clearing it altogether since it constantly comes back each time I start the car.

The increased emissions error I can clear and it will usually stay away for about 24-48 hours then it'll come back.

The DDM error only happens if I leave the shifter in "DS" mode for a long period of time. otherwise I don't see that pop up.

and the SOS call system malfunction comes up at the same time each time I start the car; roughly 60-90 seconds after starting the car it pops up.

I'm seriously hoping someone can direct me in the right direction, or just tell me what I need to replace so I can just do it. PLEASE!

Thank you!!!
Frenchy
Old 04-02-2019, 07:58 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 650i
Default SOS FIX - Bypass on older cars

Found this and wanted to share! There is actually a great blog post and YouTube video explaining this in detail. They even have a pre-trimmed version of the MOST adapter now that comes ready to install out of the box.

The stock version bypass/loop requires you to carefully hack away at the plastic to get it to fit. I actually damaged my first unit trying to get it to fit.

Anyhow, here's the link: https://www.modsandprojects.com/bmw-...o-audio-error/