E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Coolant System Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 05:26 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i
Exclamation Coolant System Questions

I've been repairing the coolant system on my 2006 e60 530i

It appears a seal on the transmission oil heat exchanger went bad and leaked coolant. I thought my radiator had developed a leak but it seems to be fine. When I took the heat exchanger apart I discovered one of the o-rings between the heat exchanger and the thermostat assembly was shot. It has been losing water through there.

But that's not the problem I need help with. There are two other issues:

The connector where one of the rubber coolant hoses attaches to the engine block has failed (this is the one under and to the left of the oil filter, I believe it is the inlet side of the engine) This allowed the hose to come loose when pressure built up in the system. Part of this mounting bracket is broken off inside the hose. I need to replace this part (it bolts on with two hex bolts) but have had no luck finding it anywhere.

There was also a very slow oil leak from the filter housing, my fault due to an error the last time I changed the oil. The drip point being so near a hose that came off, and also the spraying action created by the belt, caused a very small amount of oil to get into the coolant system. (I'm about 80% certain at this point this is the source of oil in the system. I checked both engine oil and transmission oil and neither show any signs of water contamination. Since there was a leak at the transmission oil heat exchanger I naturally assumed this to be the source of oil in the coolant, but the exchanger itself does not appear to be faulty.)

COnnected to this, my heater has stopped working. RIght now I assume oil gunk has clogged the thermostat, preventing hot water from reaching the heater core. There could be a problem with the core itself, but that's not my primary concern right now.

SO the main problem is, where can I find the proper replacement part to attach (what I believe to be) the engine coolant inlet hose to the engine block. I'll try to get a picture uploaded of exactly what I'm talking about. But here's a detailed description as it may be a day or two before I can get to that.
The house attaches to the engine block on the upper right side, just below and to the left of the oil filter housing/oil heat exchanger. From there it runs down and to the left, to the thermostat/water pump. This is NOT the connection on the lower right side of the oil filter/heat exchanger assembly that runs to the right and then directly to the radiator.

THere is some urgency to finding the proper part, since I have to borrow a friend's car until I get mine fixed! But there's usually urgency in this sort of thing, isn't there?
Old 01-13-2017, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I would go to pelicanparts.com to get the part. Look on realoem.com for the part number.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:54 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i

Thank you, that was most helpful.

It appears I was mistaken in looking for just the mounting bracket. It's considered to be part of the hose itself.

Now regarding the lack of heat, are there any other ideas as to what the problem may be?

It is entirely possible the failure of the mounting bracket was due to the coolant becoming too diluted when the temperature plummeted to extreme lows early this winter, forming an ice dam somewhere in the system (conjecture. But it did fail on a very cold night) But the lack of heat predates this (also casting doubt on the idea the thermostat is stuck due to the gunk)

I replaced the thermostat and water pump last year. One of the two failed (not sure which) and replaced both for good measure.