E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant replacement - how to decide?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies
Default Coolant replacement - how to decide?

So I had my car checked out just before its warranty ran out for any issues, and they listed that the coolant could use flushing. I presume they tested its strength somehow. Car is exactly 4 years old, and has 40,000 miles / 66,000 km's on it.

What do people here do? Can't find any info on it in the manual or by searching here, oddly.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:49 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

On my car I change the coolant every two years . So in my opinion u should be on the second coolant flush. I also change the hydraulic fluid, brake fluid and the rear gear oil every two years also. The trany I change every 30,000 miles, some people say it's too often but my tranny shifts and performs like new. So frequent fluid changes is the best thing u can do for your car .
Old 08-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

Thanks. What is the official guideline on coolant though? It's not every two years like brake fluid flushes I take it, as otherwise, I'm sure they have done it once at least by now. Is it one of those "lifetime" fluids in their opinion?
Old 08-19-2013, 02:45 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Not exactly sure what thier guide lines are for coolant ,,but i dont follow thier oil and fluid change recomendations... Dont believe thier life time fluid crap, especially the trany fluid life time B.S.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:53 PM
New Members

My Ride: 523 Touring 2006, 328 Coupé 1999

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Thanks. What is the official guideline on coolant though? It's not every two years like brake fluid flushes I take it, as otherwise, I'm sure they have done it once at least by now. Is it one of those "lifetime" fluids in their opinion?
It's lifetime as long as your on free maint .. then changes to every other year (go figure:-)
Old 08-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Senior Members

lol!
Old 08-19-2013, 05:50 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by blueswede
It's lifetime as long as your on free maint .. then changes to every other year (go figure:-)
Yup!
Old 08-30-2013, 11:44 PM
Members

BMW's old recommendation was to change the coolant every 5 years.
Personally I don't see anything wrong with that.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

I've changed mine every couple of years or so, by force or circumstance with this car (water pump, valley pan, expansion tank, and general phukkery). Im at 204,571 miles on her (and climbing at an average rate of 150 miles/day), so I must have done something right with this thing of mine LOL.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your coolant drain frequency depends upon your objective. Depending upon conditions the life of the antifreeze will vary.

If you want to be sure it is doing the job drain it every two years.

If you want to squeeze as much life as you can out of it you can send antifreeze to testing labs just like oil, to insure that the critical additives that lubricate and fight corrosion are still doing their jobs. But the time, trouble and cost of doing this is more than the cost of two gallons of BMW antifreeze if you buy it at the right price.

Now if you had a fleet of 600 semi tractors and each takes 12 gallons, then testing the antifreeze to be sure you are getting your money's worth (maximizing life) would make sense.

But for one or two BMWs in the family just change it every two years.

Quick Reply: Coolant replacement - how to decide?