E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cold air from the vents, hot air from the defrost?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was around 55F outside tonight and when I got in my car and headed out, I started getting heat out of the defrost, but was getting cold out of the vents. So I crank up the temp on both sides to 76F and I still get cold out of the vents. I crank it up to 80F and my feet and defrost are getting serious heat, but still cold from the vents? I turned off auto, went to manual, cranked the fan up and still cold out the front vents. It seems to me that I may have a servo for a flap out, anyone else ever have this happen?

I'm still under warranty, so i plan on having them look at it.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by Bluesky4x4' post='684186' date='Oct 2 2008, 11:45 PM
It was around 55F outside tonight and when I got in my car and headed out, I started getting heat out of the defrost, but was getting cold out of the vents. So I crank up the temp on both sides to 76F and I still get cold out of the vents. I crank it up to 80F and my feet and defrost are getting serious heat, but still cold from the vents? I turned off auto, went to manual, cranked the fan up and still cold out the front vents. It seems to me that I may have a servo for a flap out, anyone else ever have this happen?

I'm still under warranty, so i plan on having them look at it.
I had the same happen when I first got my car...I had to change the "drivers side center vent temperature" to get it to stop blowing cold air.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 528i: Alpine White/Creme Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim; Premium pkg, Ipod USB (6FL), Xenons, sunroof, Eibach pro-kit 1.2" drop all around, limo tint all around. LED license plate festoons. Soon to come: M6 replica 19" rims, Angel Eyes mod, fog light mod.

55F?!?!?!?!?your lucky man.....its 70F at nights and at 8am its 80degress already....all week mid-day its been like 100....its killer here....
Old 10-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 530d M Sport. It has Heads Up Display...need I say more...

Could be the heater control valve. Should be covered by the warranty though.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:33 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

This is normal when using auto mode with the a/c compressor switched off and whenit gets damp outside. Did any of these conditions apply?

I have this happen to me regularly given the Dutch weather, and it is a result of the fact that the cars "auto" brain includes temperature as well as humidity sensors. In effect, what it will do is blow really hot air out of the defrost vents to keep the windows clear, and it will then blow whatever other temperature air out of the other vents to keep the cabin at the selected temperature. The best way to deal with this situation (instead of getting cold air blasted on your face) is to have the dash vents in the neutral lateral position (centred) and a slightly upwards horizontal position, giving air circulation throughout the cabin. Works for me all the time.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Members

It may have been humid, but it definately wasn't today and I had the same issue. I need to take it in for an oil change, brake fluid change and other items, so hopefully it does the same thing while they have it. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by Bluesky4x4' post='684909' date='Oct 3 2008, 11:04 PM
It may have been humid, but it definately wasn't today and I had the same issue. I need to take it in for an oil change, brake fluid change and other items, so hopefully it does the same thing while they have it. Thanks for the help.
Did you try the temperature setting in the iDrive under climate? On the drivers side display you see the 3 vent settings and then a bar display slightly to the right, the center vent temperature. If you change any of the levels it switches off the Auto setting but changing the vent temperature setting does not. If you turn it one way the person icon turns red for hot air...turn it the other way and it turns blue for cool air. I've just had to change that setting this evening as it's been feeling colder driving with the windows open.

Sorry if you already tried this but it sounds like you only adjusted the climate control using the dials on the dash...these alone will not work.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='684920' date='Oct 3 2008, 11:29 PM
Did you try the temperature setting in the iDrive under climate? On the drivers side display you see the 3 vent settings and then a bar display slightly to the right, the center vent temperature. If you change any of the levels it switches off the Auto setting but changing the vent temperature setting does not. If you turn it one way the person icon turns red for hot air...turn it the other way and it turns blue for cool air. I've just had to change that setting this evening as it's been feeling colder driving with the windows open.

Sorry if you already tried this but it sounds like you only adjusted the climate control using the dials on the dash...these alone will not work.
I managed to get the dash vent vertical bars to go to orange (red). There is always a blue bar just below and the i-drive won't let me adjust that. Is this normal, Brit?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Broken AC sensor.

A very classical BMW E39/E60 failure.

Takes about 5 hours to change the 10 dollar part in a E60.
(In a E39 it took about 5 minutes.)

Get it changed within the warranty!
Old 10-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Isay5' post='687863' date='Oct 8 2008, 12:46 AM
I managed to get the dash vent vertical bars to go to orange (red). There is always a blue bar just below and the i-drive won't let me adjust that. Is this normal, Brit?
Not sure what you are referring to when you say "blue bar" so I took some pics. Excuse the poor quality, maybe this will help clarify things. If you have it set to warm and are still getting cold air then you do have a problem! Once again this settings is independent of the AUTO setting.

This is the cold setting, the body icon is blue

Cold air from the vents, hot air from the defrost?-imag0017.jpg

This is neutral, the body icon changes from blue to a kinda grey colour

Cold air from the vents, hot air from the defrost?-imag0018.jpg

This is warm, the body is red

Cold air from the vents, hot air from the defrost?-imag0019.jpg

Quick Reply: Cold air from the vents, hot air from the defrost?