E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk when turning

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 04:09 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i, Dynamic Drive, Active Steering, Nav, Adaptive Xenon, Comfort Seats
Default Clunk when turning

Ive been having this clunk come up every time I turn to the right. It happens also when turning left but it happens always when I turn right. It also happens when the front suspension gets loaded when turning. If I am still and turn the wheel, no clunk happens but if I go through a turn I will hear the clunk coming from under my feet near the left of the car.

Some people say it is possibly a ball joint or maybe my anti roll bars. It doesn't feel like there is any slop in the steering and the car still seems to corner flat. The Active roll stabilization and active steering are not throwing faults.

Can anyone steer (pun not intended) me in the right direction for this clunk?
Old 05-19-2016, 04:31 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 530d
Model Year: 2007
Engine: M57

Got many miles on the front end components?

I would get under the car and start pulling on things (front cover tray removed if necessary) to see what moves as a start.

Jack the front up and see if the wheels will move if yanked on hard. Get a friend to turn the wheel back and forth while you look at the rod ends.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:39 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528i, Dynamic Drive, Active Steering, Nav, Adaptive Xenon, Comfort Seats

Originally Posted by ripley
Got many miles on the front end components?

I would get under the car and start pulling on things (front cover tray removed if necessary) to see what moves as a start.

Jack the front up and see if the wheels will move if yanked on hard. Get a friend to turn the wheel back and forth while you look at the rod ends.
I was underneath the car when I changed out my transmission fluid and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I will have to get back underneath there and yank at stuff and see if I can get some movement out of the parts.

The car has 110k miles on it. The issue seemed to have started when I was pulling into a friend's really narrow driveway. The edge of the pavement drops off and my front left wheel moved off the pavement putting the front left of my car on the pavement. I checked underneath and it didn't seem like the swaybar links got damaged but will have to go yank at them.

I did check the front tires for play by grabbing at 12 and 6 as well as 9 and 3 and was not feeling any play.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:29 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

same issue here. have the same clunk and i can feel it at my feet from the front left wheel well. changed out bushings and shock absorber guides about a week ago as they were visibly worn. but clunk hasn't changed. wonder what it is. pulling the wheel and pulling on control arms and antiroll bar links has not shown anything wrong.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:10 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by DanielFD
same issue here. have the same clunk and i can feel it at my feet from the front left wheel well. changed out bushings and shock absorber guides about a week ago as they were visibly worn. but clunk hasn't changed. wonder what it is. pulling the wheel and pulling on control arms and antiroll bar links has not shown anything wrong.
Im getting the feeling it might be a bushing under the car for the Antiroll bar or maybe an inner tie rod. But I won't know till I get the opportunity to put the car on jack stands and get underneath it.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:33 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

I can say that it will probaly be one of the bushes on your upper or lower control arm.

jack the car up and put a big screw driver against each bush and I am pretty sure you will see the rubber in the bush gone

The good thing is that they are cheap and easy to replace
Old 01-16-2020, 06:43 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: e60 535i JB4+DCI
Model Year: 2008

Did anyone get this figured out?

I am having the same issue, ONLY when i turn right, 2 clunks, noticeable at lower speeds with loaded suspension (i lifted the car to turn the wheel and check - no knocking), I feel it slightly at my feet and in the steering wheel. Has been slowly getting worse.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:31 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by BrownPower
Did anyone get this figured out?

I am having the same issue, ONLY when i turn right, 2 clunks, noticeable at lower speeds with loaded suspension (i lifted the car to turn the wheel and check - no knocking), I feel it slightly at my feet and in the steering wheel. Has been slowly getting worse.
So I think the problem was a fatiguing subframe mount for the anti roll bar. A year after the problem started, the bolting point for the anti roll bar clamp sheared off the frame which required a front subframe replacement. Since the subframe is made of aluminum, it is more likely to experience failure from fatigue. I'm guessing the sound was from the metal slightly bending during each turn and loading of the bar.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:57 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: e60 535i JB4+DCI
Model Year: 2008

Wow that's extreme. Now a few weeks ago I did check the active stabilizer bar. Pryed it every which way and it didn't budge. Maybe, since it wasn't loaded suspension it was not enough of a force to move it. I will have it checked again
Old 01-16-2020, 07:59 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by BrownPower
Wow that's extreme. Now a few weeks ago I did check the active stabilizer bar. Pryed it every which way and it didn't budge. Maybe, since it wasn't loaded suspension it was not enough of a force to move it. I will have it checked again
Yeah I was surprised with how bad the damage was, check the aluminum tab that the anti roll bar mounts to for hairline cracks. That's all that is needed for aluminum to fatigue fail.

Quick Reply: Clunk when turning