E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 BMW 530i

Ok, so I got a call from the dealer yesterday that the car is ready. I went and picked up the car. Paid $1,103.97 (got a discount on the parts for being a CCA member).

One of my rear tires had low air pressure, dealer told me that it looked like the valve stem was messed up and said they couldn't touch it since it was an aftermarket wheel (Asanti), which is understandable.

So went to a few places, ran some errands and BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turn car on, it dies. Turn car on again. IT dies again. Then turned car on, try to force the car to stay on, engine shakes and dies. THE SAME PROBLEM STILL EXISTS! So now I am really exhausted. Called a tow truck, takes about an hour. Then the car finally turned on when the tow truck guy got there. I had been trying in every 5 minute increments, it just happened to turn on when the tow truck guy got there, like the car has a mind of its own. That happened to me before as well.

Now icing on the cake, my INS said that this is the last time I can call for towing, I will get charged here on after. Within the past 2 monnths this was the tenth towing call on the same vehichle. arghhhhh FML

SO I was extremely upset, called my SA and Service Manager at Autobahn BMW Fort Worth. They were both polite and generous and accepted the fact I was bringing the car back to them. I was really upset, my SA was cool and I think he understood my frustration. So after spending $1,103.97 the problem still exists, the same exact problem. The dealer said they are going to take care of it and fix it, let's see this time...

This car starting problem is becoming a nightmare... Going to try to study for an exam and not let this thing bother me after taking 2 capsules of motrin.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Members

This lack of troubleshooting ability is disturbing. Do you think these issues could be related?

https://5series.net/forums/topic/104...problems-help/
Old 10-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Members

I dont think that problem is related because my car always cranks. It either cranks up and starts and after 1 second dies.

Or it will just keep cranking. The guy in that thread has reported that sometimes his car doesn't even crank.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Members

Just received another call from the dealer. My service advisor states that they cannot duplicate the problem. FML!!!!!!!!!

So this means I forked out $1,103.97 for nothing, while the very same problem still exists on the car. They said they are ready to give the car back to me.

Any suggestions fellow forum members?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:10 AM
Members

Sorry to hear about your car man. I had post yesterday about same problem.
Exactly same things started happening to me in last few weeks.

Luckily, It does start on 2nd or 3rd try.

Instead of taking my car to BMW Dealer here in NJ [Open Road BMW Or Freehold BMW]; I am giving it to Bimmer Clinic.
"Bimmer Clinic" suppose to be the best around here. Lets see what happens!

Does anyone have experience with Bimmer Clinic located in Elizabeth, NJ ??

Good Luck!! Hopefully everything works out great for you!
Old 10-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Members

Thanks Patele60.

Actually I had an appointment to speak to service manager today. Before I went, my service advisor called in the morning and informed me that today they were able to duplicate the problem. He said they turned it on in the morning, it would turn on and just die. That's exactly what it did to me the day I picked it up. SO let's see what happens next...
Old 11-16-2010, 07:16 AM
Members

Any updates on this? is the problem solved?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:06 AM
sRt
Members

My dad had a similar case about two years ago. It was an VW Passat though, but it doesnt matter. He had a problem with it, and asked it to be fixed. They "supposed" to fix it about 4 times, and the same problem accured. The changed alot of parts wich they "guessed" was the problem. At the end they finally found out what it was. He contacted the manager of the whole dealer, and said he refused to pay for anything more that the part (and work time) on the part that actually fixed the problem. And he said he asked it to be fixed, and would pay for the thing that fixed it. The rest was the dealers problem. Their job was to fix it, not to guess alot and test parts.

He said the if the dealer didnt agree, he would contact an attorney.
The case ended with a tiny bill on a little part that fixed the problem :-D

Be rough, and check your rights as a customer!

FYI this was in Norway, but im pretty sure you have a good case
Old 11-17-2010, 12:42 PM
AJH
Members

Jees, this thread has really stressed me out!!!

Hope it all gets sorted though
Old 11-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Members

Dear sjzking408:
I'm so sorry to hear about your bmw issue; I have the 2 best bmw mechanics but, they are both in Houston.
Dealer for my exp is not the best. I bought my car with the help of these two mechanics.
Let me know if you have any interest getting their advices.

Silvio House downtown:
401 Tuam Street
Houston, TX 77006-3405
(713) 523-5565

Advantage BMW downtown houston
1305 Gray | Houston, Texas 77002
Thong aka Tom 713-289-1200

Quick Reply: Car Starting Problems