E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by porsche911targa
Easier said than done. If the OP is a member of the BMW club, he should call the ombudsman near his area and have him/her talk to the dealer. The other step would be small claims court, but it would be easier if he could take an expert with him to explain the problem to the judge. G/L
Either way I would not go back to that dealer once things are settled.

At my dealer where I used to work as shop forman, I may not be liked by my techs but, I at least I can sleep at night.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

The problem is BMW techs (like many other auto manufacturer techs) are only trained to react to specific symptoms. If the car isn't creating an engine code or the techs cannot reproduce the faulty condition they can only guess as to what the problem may be. This is why I prefer an indy mechanic since they are more likely to have the knowledge, experience, and ability to think outside the box when troubleshooting.

Camshaft and Crankshaft position sensors are actually decent guesses, but they could have scanned the data values being read by the ECM to determine if they were really bad. For whatever reason the techs were only looking for a fault indication. Good luck trying to get reimbursed for the misdiagnosis - if you signed any type of agreement or waiver prior to them working on your car you may be screwed according to the fine print.

As for the fuel pump - all they need to do is check the fuel pressure while the car is running. 100k miles is quite a long time for the original.

Good luck.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Contributors

BOHICA
Old 10-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 BMW 530i

@ healthservices: Exactly! I go to the dealer because they are supposed to know everything about "their" cars. I would guess they would have the most expertise since it's their brand car.

@porsche911targa: Yes, I am a member of BMW CCA. I will try to search online for ombudsman in my area (Dallas/Ft. Worth)

@pukka: Yes, I did sign a piece of paper. They will not let you drop off the car unless you sign that paper.

I appreciate all the replies guys. Thanks! I will look into contacting my local ombudsman, and will call my SA about them testing the fuel presure when the car is running. I know they will give me "yea those sensors need to be replaced also". I do not know if that is somewhat true or not...
Old 10-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Members

Ok, So my dealer called me on October 8th stating that they are taking a good educated guess that my problem is my fuel pump. He stated that all I would have to pay for is the parts for the fuel pump no labor hence all the time and troubles I had to go through... (The cars been at the dealer for almost a month)

So he said $484 for the part and that's all I have to pay.
So I told him to go ahead and proceed with the repairs. I also mentioned that the sensors were never the problem to begin with...

I received another call on October 13th, my SA stated that they had to order the part and they received the part and it's installed on my car. My SA also mentioned to me that everything is looking well right now (assuming problem fixed). But he asked me that they want to keep the car for another day to run some tests on it.

It has been 3 days (Today is the 16th) and I have not received another call from my SA. But i did receive a call from the sales manager stating that they still have the 335i coupe I was looking at a few weeks ago. And he also mentioned a price drop on it. (when I dropped my car off like 2 weeks ago, I started looking at the CPO cars)

So I am wondering what is going on here, 3 days and still haven't received a call from the SA.

It is October 16th, I dropped my car off this time at the dealer on Sept. 29th. More than two weeks ago. And about a week and half before that they kept the car for 7 days, when they couldn't find the problem.

This whole car issue is becoming a nightmare.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Members

Ok So I got a call from Autobahn BMW Fort Worth yesterday and they informed me that my car is still not fixed. Replacing the fuel pump did not fix the problem either.

I am so frustrated over this whole issue. Yet, he did assure me the best people are working on the car every day. I was trying to study for an exam. It's just this thing is still there in my head.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Members

Isn't this the dealer that totalled the M5?

Just my opinion and not knowing your financial situation, if I had the means I would take the price on the 335 they offered, deduct the price of all the "repairs" they performed and offer to buy the 335 and have them throw in extended maintanence...though with the 335 you are probably going to run into HPFP problems...
Old 10-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Members

Yes. It's the same dealer.
Just received another call, they said they had to replace additional hoses and now the problem is fixed.
When I asked for the bill, they told me $1299

I asked for a breakdown, here it is:
$182 for each sensor (they used two of them)
$502 for labor for installation on those 2 sensors.
$433 fuel pump (they waived the labor on that)

I guess there was a big mis-understanding. I thought they were going to waive the labor on the whole ticket, coz the way my SA said it..

I was only expecting to pay for the fuel pump.

They said one if the hoses was bent and it was cutting off the fuel line that's why the problem was their still after replacing the sensors and the fuel pump...

I mentioned again that the sensors probably did not need to b replaced, but my SA insisted they did...

I'm beginning to think what if it waS the hose, the whole problem the whole time... (and there not even charging me for the hose)

Arggghhhhh BMW auto Bahn fort worth!!!!!!!!

Any suggestions?
Old 10-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sjzking408
Yes. It's the same dealer.
Just received another call, they said they had to replace additional hoses and now the problem is fixed.
When I asked for the bill, they told me $1299

I asked for a breakdown, here it is:
$182 for each sensor (they used two of them)
$502 for labor for installation on those 2 sensors.
$433 fuel pump (they waived the labor on that)

I guess there was a big mis-understanding. I thought they were going to waive the labor on the whole ticket, coz the way my SA said it..

I was only expecting to pay for the fuel pump.

They said one if the hoses was bent and it was cutting off the fuel line that's why the problem was their still after replacing the sensors and the fuel pump...

I mentioned again that the sensors probably did not need to b replaced, but my SA insisted they did...

I'm beginning to think what if it waS the hose, the whole problem the whole time... (and there not even charging me for the hose)

Arggghhhhh BMW auto Bahn fort worth!!!!!!!!

Any suggestions?

So basically $1299 to replace a kinked hose...

They have no techs there, your dealer is just a glorified parts replacer, you would have had better luck at a independent in this case.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d auto ,Carbon black,all options but HUD and sunroof

Are you sure the car is fixed now ?
Camshaft sensor will cause running problems and shows on diagnostic, Crank sensor either works or not. Fuel pump pressure again gives you bad running and loss of performance . Bent fuel pipe and( what sensor)?????? is BS
I would take the starter off, inspect the solenoid + motor and see if any teeth are missing on your flywheel.
Do not think the dealer knows all about your car, all they know is look at monitor and fit .
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Car Starting Problems