E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 BMW 530i

Hello, I have been searching this forum on the same subject and have found a few different problems other members previously had, but I belive my problem is different.

Last week, I tried to start the car in the morning it wouldn't start. Here is it how it went:

Day 1: Tried to start the car in the morning (7 a.m.) It wouldn't start. It would just make the noise of turning and trying to start (sound effect: kikkh kikkh kikhh) Came back from school 3 hours later, still same problem. No luck. Since the car was on drive way. I put it in neutral and let it roll back a little bit, and slammed the brake. Then tried starting it. It did the same thing for a few mins. but then it finally turned on.

Day 2: Tried to start the car, it turned on instantly on the first try. And suddenly died after like a second. Then tried starting it again, it would turn (sound effect: kikkh kikkh kikhh)... but would not come on until 10 mins. later...

Day 3: Tried to start the car in the morning and same thing again, it wouldn't start up. I have my foot on the brake pedal and it's turning for like 20 seconds... it wouldn't start up... I then decided to put it in neutral and let it roll... and finally turned on, after 4-5 attempts...

Day 4: It turned on perfectly fine.

On all of those days, I turned the car off and on 6-7 times throughout the day, I drive around the metroplex all day long... So for about a week I have been OK so far (knock on wood), but today after I was coming back from my office, i turned it on, i did turn on and died instantly. THen I tried turning it on again, and then it turned on perfectly fine...

Does anyone know what might be the problem? Several other people pointed and blamed the starter on other posts, but if the starter was going bad, wouldn't it not turn at all and just make a click sound? I also read somehwere something about the solenoid on the started? I don't know what it could be. I wanted to get e60'ers input before i take the car to the dealer.

I've read several posts and have come to the conclusion that these OEM (denso) starters suck but for some reason I am convinced that it is not the starter...

Just in case it's the starter, I called the dealer for a price quote and they quoted me aprox $650 (parts + labor), Auto Scope aprox. $450 (parts & labor) and I called Auto Zone, they quoted me $124 for the starter w/ core...

* BTW, car has 97k miles
Old 08-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Did you also try Napa? Usually lower than autozone with core. DO NOT give your core to them just yet. If starter isn't the issue you will be able to return and then you'll still have you original. If the starter was the issue. You can return core for a core refund. Play it smart because you can return a core at any time.

This may sound stupid but I'm sure you'll get other replies on this. How's your battery? Have you at least tried to pick one up at a Wal-Mart and test that out? Again, it's about playing it smart. If you have original battery in car and no trickle charger, chances are your battery is almost end of life. Actually it's past end of life if you have 97K. I have original battery in my car @ 100K and have a sub/amp but I also have a trickle charger although I haven't used it in a while. I have noticed a tiny delay in starting and thinking about replacing it with a 3 yr evermax. I have one in my 325i after the OEM battery just died after 11 months for no apparent reason. These cars are delicate and your electronics could act up just because battery. That INCLUDES whil you're moving (choking, shifting etc.)
Old 08-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i...just bought so in progress...dont know where to start??? Want to do: LCI Tails, Xenon Headlights, Tints, Wheels, Trunk and Roof Spoiler, iPod Adapter...the list goes on.

yeah i sometimes have the same problem...not as drastic with the no start issue but sometimes i go out to start the car and it will crank 10 times before it kicks over and sometimes it just starts fine...i thought possibly fuel pump? not sure...but i would like to know if you bring it in what they say...I still have CPO until december so I should be alright...they just replaced my instrument cluster($1800) for free...well the $50 deductible...
Old 08-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Members

@ AchtungE60:

The battery was replaced 2 months ago by the dealer for no reason (I had to pay around $450). After replacing the batery, the original problem still existed, and we found out it was something else (it was a speed sensor). So I know for sure that it is not the battery...

As far as changing it and trying it on and that sort of thing.. I am a 21 year old college student, not really mechanically inclined to change it out myself... I read the DIY and it seems like that thing to change out is a pain in the a**.

@ LiLifter247:

Your lucky you have CPO, I don't. Every time i take mine to the dealer, I have to shell out $400-$600. You want to take yours in, since you only have to pay the deductible? jk.

I guess after all, I will have to take it to the dealer, if no one else replies for the next few days...
Old 08-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Members

Ok, made an appointment with the dealer next week. I will update you guys on the problem. Hopefully it's minor and I won't have to shell out a lot of money.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Base on the symptons you have, I am inclined to think it could be either you starter or solenoid. The solenoid is actually sitting on top of your starter. It engages and disengages the starter gear to your flywheel which turns your engine. Just my 2 cents, let us know what the dealer says. GL
Old 09-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Members

Ok guys, I finally took the car to the local dealer (autobahn) on tuesday. Had requested a 3 series coupe (which they did give me). 2 days later, (earlier today) they called me and informed me that there's nothing wrong with the car. They said they tested the starter and battery and they are fine.

They said they also tried to diagnose it with computers, theres no error codes pulling up. And whenever they try to turn it on, every single time, it turns on perfectly fine. My service advisor said the only thing that could have happened is that i had left my lights on. AND i know for a face that DID NOT happen, because 1. I always have the light nob on auto (never touch it) and 2. No one else drives my car. So my SA finally understood after I told him that I had to tow this car to my house (leaving me stranded) two times because it wouldn't start.

The last time it happened, (which was an embarrasing moment) I was at someone's house party (I went with a chick) which ended at 2 a.m.

When we tried to leave when the party was over, the car wouldn't start. I had to wait an hour and a half for AAA to get there.. (ended up at home around 4 a.m.)

So therefore, im really frustrated with this problem which occurs at random times. It frustrates me even more that the dealer can't find the freaking problem.

So my SA offered me that they can keep the car for another day or two and try to find the problem. I hope they really do find the problem.

Any suggestions from anyone on what to do?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Members

Ok guys, I took the car last time to the dealer on Sept. 10th and picked it up on the 17th when the dealer stated nothing was wrong with it. Paid the diagnostic fee came home. 2 days later, the same problem occured when it wouldn't start again. So took it to the dealer that same day and luckily it started doing the same thing (not starting) at the dealers too. So I couldn't leave the car their at that time because they didn't have a loaner car available for me that day. So made the next earliest appointment available )aprox. a week and a half from that day).

I dropped the car off last week (Sept. 29th), received a call from the dealer a day later, they said after diagnosing it, the problem is:

1. Camshaft Sensor ($181-part + $360 w/labor)
2. Crankshaft Sensor ($233 part + $520 w/labor)
Totalling aprox. $900 after tax, So I gave them the OK. A few days later after they received the parts and installed those parts, they said that the car is still having the problem, dealer stated that It has a delayed start (in other words, same problem)

Then they told me that it is the fuel pump (car has 100,325 miles on it) And they said it is usual for the fuel pumps to go out around this mileage. So then I thought to my self, it was probally never the Camshaft Sensor + Crankshaft sensor to begin with. And I also mentioned it to my SA, and my SA told me that was part of the problem as well.

That was 2 days ago. Today I received a call they said after master techs,etc. looked at it, their best guess is that it is the fuel pump and that they will knock off the labor charges for the 2 sensors they repplaced saving me about $500, but still I would have to pay around $400+ for parts.

So I'm thinking to myself, it was probally never those sensors to begin with.. What you guys think? You think it's fair for me to have to pay for those parts, if the existing parts in my car were probally fine to begin with?

Now, this is not the first time where I had to pay for something that was not faulty. (previously I had bunch of errors on the iDrive, took it to the dealer, I suggested them to also take a look at the battery, but didn't tell them that was the cause of the problem.) They replaced the battery, I paid $400+, 13 miles down the road, all those errors came up. Took the car again to the dealer a week later, found out that my speed sensor was faulty. At that time, I was like whatever I didn't complain about them making me replace the battery when originally it wasn't at fault.

Guys please suggest what I should do here. I always have taken the car to this dealer.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

You go to the dealer because they are suppose to be the experts at diagnosing and repair. This is not diagnosing and repair, this is parts replacing. You may as well gone to Pepboys or the local parts store for their advise for the kind of service you just got.

No you should not pay for the work done as it did not repair the problem. And you should not have to pay the dealer to guess what the problem could be.

If they want to throw parts at the car to repair it, let them, but you should only have pay for what repairs the car.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by healthservices
You go to the dealer because they are suppose to be the experts at diagnosing and repair. This is not diagnosing and repair, this is parts replacing. You may as well gone to Pepboys or the local parts store for their advise for the kind of service you just got.

No you should not pay for the work done as it did not repair the problem. And you should not have to pay the dealer to guess what the problem could be.

If they want to throw parts at the car to repair it, let them, but you should only have pay for what repairs the car.
Easier said than done. If the OP is a member of the BMW club, he should call the ombudsman near his area and have him/her talk to the dealer. The other step would be small claims court, but it would be easier if he could take an expert with him to explain the problem to the judge. G/L

Quick Reply: Car Starting Problems