E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car is sputtering and running rough after gasing up

Old 08-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Titanium Grey/ Black interior) Debaged, L.e.d. light upgrade throughout. ACS roof spoiler. H&R sport sprigs, Angel eye upgrade, euro sticker, ,matte black grills.

Long story short, I gassed up twice and had the same problem. Can anyone help with this situation. (its calm now but Im scared to refuel with Shell again)

This is my email to Shell..................

Dear Shell Gas,

My name is Jose Rodriguez and I am a very loyal customer to the Shell Brand. I own a 2006 BMW 530xi and always use Shell V Power in my car. Recently I gassed up and got $50 worth of premium gas on last sunday ( July 24th) like normal. But oddly on Sunday evening, my car starting stuttering and shaking very abruptly on a dead stop. Whenever I accelerated, the car sputtered and felt like it would turn off. After pulling over, I turned the car off and started it back up and the service engine light was on. I looked on the forums for a solution while I was parked and some bmw forum members suggested bad gas (water). Ironically, I always use the same gas and almost every time, use the same station.. (3080 Kennedy Blvd Jersey City NJ) to avoid this exact problem.

So after a few minutes of having the car off, I restarted it and it seemed ok to drive but no faster than 25mph. I went to the advanced auto parts store nearby and purchased a fuel system cleaner that specified about eliminating water out of the fuel system. It actually worked a little bit. The sputtering calmed down but still there.

The next day I went back to the gas station and complained to the gas attendant and told him my story and he gave me a print out of the gas breakdown from the station. (0 % water). He rushed me off and told me the manager is not around and that the tanks were OK but I wasn't convinced.

After a whole week of driving with a restriction on the gas and how hard i can press the pedal, I was on Empty again and figured.....Maybe it was just That station....So I gassed up in another station in Elizabeth (574 Newark avenue Elizabeth, NJ) and with the assumption that it was only the other station and not the gas itself, I filled it up. What a mistake. Like the prior Sunday, my car is acting like a wild bull and almost shutting off.

Clearly it has something to do with the gas and not the station. The problem has calmed down after I poured some Lucas Octane Booster in the tank, but I pay good money for quality gas and I am loyal and recommend Shell to many people but the last thing i want or hope for is to have my car break down and have to be repaired at (my expense because Im out of warranty with this car) Over bad gas.

Is there any way we can fix the problem or try to figure out what it is? For now, Im just going to burn the rest of this gas off and hope that it doesn't persist. If not, I am going to have to move to another brand that does not damage my beloved BMW.

Attached is a video of my car during the issue. If it does not play, I can re-email you the video.

Sincerely
Jose Rodriguez
Old 08-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try filling up at a different station other than shell and see if it happens again? I've been using shell 90% of the time on my vehicle and haven't had any incidence.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Senior Members

that's odd, I'm a loyal customer to Shell forever and never encounter any problem.

GL OP
Old 08-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

I switched to Shell after some rough idle issues - no more problems for me.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi (Titanium Grey/ Black interior) Debaged, L.e.d. light upgrade throughout. ACS roof spoiler. H&R sport sprigs, Angel eye upgrade, euro sticker, ,matte black grills.

Same here. I was a die hard customer but after my recent issues i might start using sunoco.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by sweetnlowe60
Same here. I was a die hard customer but after my recent issues i might start using sunoco.
I've been getting _really_ rough starts the last two tanks - filled up at Chevron. Once the engine is hot there's no issue though. I'm guessing there's a little more of water in the tank than usual.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

Try switching to BP once.. I have been using Shell regularly and its OK so far.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sweetnlowe60
Long story short, I gassed up twice and had the same problem. Can anyone help with this situation. (its calm now but Im scared to refuel with Shell again)

This is my email to Shell..................

Dear Shell Gas,

My name is Jose Rodriguez and I am a very loyal customer to the Shell Brand. I own a 2006 BMW 530xi and always use Shell V Power in my car. Recently I gassed up and got $50 worth of premium gas on last sunday ( July 24th) like normal. But oddly on Sunday evening, my car starting stuttering and shaking very abruptly on a dead stop. Whenever I accelerated, the car sputtered and felt like it would turn off. After pulling over, I turned the car off and started it back up and the service engine light was on. I looked on the forums for a solution while I was parked and some bmw forum members suggested bad gas (water). Ironically, I always use the same gas and almost every time, use the same station.. (3080 Kennedy Blvd Jersey City NJ) to avoid this exact problem.

So after a few minutes of having the car off, I restarted it and it seemed ok to drive but no faster than 25mph. I went to the advanced auto parts store nearby and purchased a fuel system cleaner that specified about eliminating water out of the fuel system. It actually worked a little bit. The sputtering calmed down but still there.

The next day I went back to the gas station and complained to the gas attendant and told him my story and he gave me a print out of the gas breakdown from the station. (0 % water). He rushed me off and told me the manager is not around and that the tanks were OK but I wasn't convinced.

After a whole week of driving with a restriction on the gas and how hard i can press the pedal, I was on Empty again and figured.....Maybe it was just That station....So I gassed up in another station in Elizabeth (574 Newark avenue Elizabeth, NJ) and with the assumption that it was only the other station and not the gas itself, I filled it up. What a mistake. Like the prior Sunday, my car is acting like a wild bull and almost shutting off.

Clearly it has something to do with the gas and not the station. The problem has calmed down after I poured some Lucas Octane Booster in the tank, but I pay good money for quality gas and I am loyal and recommend Shell to many people but the last thing i want or hope for is to have my car break down and have to be repaired at (my expense because Im out of warranty with this car) Over bad gas.

Is there any way we can fix the problem or try to figure out what it is? For now, Im just going to burn the rest of this gas off and hope that it doesn't persist. If not, I am going to have to move to another brand that does not damage my beloved BMW.

Attached is a video of my car during the issue. If it does not play, I can re-email you the video.

Sincerely
Jose Rodriguez
Old 08-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Contributors

When you stopped for gas did you by chance check your oil? Make sure your oil filler cap is properly closed. The symptoms you describe sound just like my car when I didnt properly seat the oil filler cap on the engine. Just a thought.

Bill
Old 08-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

Try switching to BP once.. I have been using Shell regularly and its OK so far.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car is sputtering and running rough after gasing up