E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Major diesel engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:33 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

First of all, this has not happened to me (knocking the wood however). And this concerns DIESEL engines.

I've been reading one Finnish BMW forum and some people have reported a major engine malfunction caused by the broken intake manifold.
To be exact, swirl flaps inside the intake manifold have came loose and were sucked into the cylinders --> major malfunction obviously.
This problem has mostly happened to e39's with 3.0l diesel engine. Ok, not to worry I thought until it brought out that there has been already some e60's too.

Inside the intake manifold, there are six swirl flaps, which open when throttle is opened. What are they for? Probably because of emissions when the engine is idling. Swirl flaps have came loose because of slag in the manifold. There has been so much slag that flaps have jammed. And because of mechanism trying to move them, their axels have broken. The intake manifold gets very dirty because of recycling of exhaust fumes.

Here is a pic of those swirl flaps inside the intake manifold. And this is from e39, but it looks almost exactly same in e60. (This picture has been taken by a user named "dieselrules" and it's from a Finnish BMW forum, but I think he doesn't mind I'm using it here.)

You can see the axels of swirl flaps inside. In this picture the flaps are open. But as you can see, there's lot of s*it inside.

Some people have cleaned their intake manifolds. However, many e39 owners have removed these flaps completely and reported that there's no effect to anything in car. Their cars have passed vehicle inspections normally, no differences in emission measurings. Sure these flaps have a meaning, but...
BMW itself has not taken any stance on this. Of course these e60's has been older e60's (2003-2004) with some 100.000 kms in them. Someone mentioned, that BMW has improved the structure of these swirl flaps from 2005 along the M57N2 engine, but I'm not sure...

I have a 530d 2004 with 83.000 kilometers, so I got a bit worried about this and took out my intake manifold just to check it out. Sure there were slag in it. But not so much that the flaps could get broken, yet. Just now I'm kind of waiting for some official aspect from BMW to get on with this thing. A new intake manifold you may say... Sure, but if I can manage this issue a bit cheaper, for example cleaning my intake manifold completely, I would do that.

Have you run into this kind of problem anywhere? What do you think? Maybe an old issue?
Old 11-04-2007, 05:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='489714' date='Nov 4 2007, 02:33 PM
First of all, this has not happened to me (knocking the wood however). And this concerns DIESEL engines.

I've been reading one Finnish BMW forum and some people have reported a major engine malfunction caused by the broken intake manifold.
To be exact, swirl flaps inside the intake manifold have came loose and were sucked into the cylinders --> major malfunction obviously.
This problem has mostly happened to e39's with 3.0l diesel engine. Ok, not to worry I thought until it brought out that there has been already some e60's too.

Inside the intake manifold, there are six swirl flaps, which open when throttle is opened. What are they for? Probably because of emissions when the engine is idling. Swirl flaps have came loose because of slag in the manifold. There has been so much slag that flaps have jammed. And because of mechanism trying to move them, their axels have broken. The intake manifold gets very dirty because of recycling of exhaust fumes.

Here is a pic of those swirl flaps inside the intake manifold. And this is from e39, but it looks almost exactly same in e60. (This picture has been taken by a user named "dieselrules" and it's from a Finnish BMW forum, but I think he doesn't mind I'm using it here.)

You can see the axels of swirl flaps inside. In this picture the flaps are open. But as you can see, there's lot of s*it inside.

Some people have cleaned their intake manifolds. However, many e39 owners have removed these flaps completely and reported that there's no effect to anything in car. Their cars have passed vehicle inspections normally, no differences in emission measurings. Sure these flaps have a meaning, but...
BMW itself has not taken any stance on this. Of course these e60's has been older e60's (2003-2004) with some 100.000 kms in them. Someone mentioned, that BMW has improved the structure of these swirl flaps from 2005 along the M57N2 engine, but I'm not sure...

I have a 530d 2004 with 83.000 kilometers, so I got a bit worried about this and took out my intake manifold just to check it out. Sure there were slag in it. But not so much that the flaps could get broken, yet. Just now I'm kind of waiting for some official aspect from BMW to get on with this thing. A new intake manifold you may say... Sure, but if I can manage this issue a bit cheaper, for example cleaning my intake manifold completely, I would do that.

Have you run into this kind of problem anywhere? What do you think? Maybe an old issue?
Yes I have heard this happening too :-(... Infact friend of mine who is BMW mechanic confirmed that some of E60 diesels have
had this problem. Bad thing is when it happens it?s for sure major damage to engine :-( . This problem is fixed in newer e60 model
and yes they dont have these flaps at all Only thing to be sure is to change intake before anything happens.
He also recommended it to me bacause i have these flaps :-(.
Have not changed yet and bit over 100000km in meter so i?m getting a bit worried ....!
Old 11-04-2007, 05:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by FIN530D' post='489735' date='Nov 4 2007, 04:11 PM
Yes I have heard this happening too :-(... Infact friend of mine who is BMW mechanic confirmed that some of E60 diesels have
had this problem. Bad thing is when it happens it?s for sure major damage to engine :-( . This problem is fixed in newer e60 model
and yes they dont have these flaps at all Only thing to be sure is to change intake before anything happens.
He also recommended it to me bacause i have these flaps :-(.
Have not changed yet and bit over 100000km in meter so i?m getting a bit worried ....!
I'm concidering taking those flaps h*ll out of there
Old 11-04-2007, 07:56 AM
Members

My new gasoline LCI had this problem and the changed the intake. Fortunately it did make noise so they got a clue what it was.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bernd22' post='489790' date='Nov 4 2007, 06:56 PM
My new gasoline LCI had this problem and the changed the intake. Fortunately it did make noise so they got a clue what it was.
Good for you. I didn't know this could be an issue with gasoline engines . I guess you didn't have to pay for it. New intake is quite expensive.

Edit: Could you describe the sound it made?
Old 11-06-2007, 05:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='489743' date='Nov 4 2007, 04:47 PM
I'm concidering taking those flaps h*ll out of there
That is one option but not sure how it will affect to engine.... there is some reason for flaps being there.
In newer cars this intake is totally redesigned not only flaps removed... Thats what i have heard...
Old 11-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

I've heard of some owners with blown turbo's, and a new engine is needed, since some parts from the turbo blew into the engine.

Here in Denmark there is alot of E60 530dA as taxis. The owner of the cab, can sell the cab after 2 years and 250.000 km's to a good price (Cartaxes on a cab: 30 % on a regular car: 180%)...

BUT: Alot of those taxis for sale with 250.000 km's on the odometer, have a new engine installed, most of them is installed after 80-120.000 km's

I don't like the fact that the 530d engines are breaking down after 100-150.000 km's.. They should last for many more km's.

We have driven 112.000 km's with our 530dA now, and the engine runs as it was new. I'm very careful while driving it. No hard accelration before the oil is warm, and if I've been driving on the autobahn at high speeds for while, I let the engine idle for a few minutes.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:39 AM
Members

Cool

Originally Posted by E60Sim' post='490813' date='Nov 6 2007, 08:29 PM
I've heard of some owners with blown turbo's, and a new engine is needed, since some parts from the turbo blew into the engine.

Here in Denmark there is alot of E60 530dA as taxis. The owner of the cab, can sell the cab after 2 years and 250.000 km's to a good price (Cartaxes on a cab: 30 % on a regular car: 180%)...

BUT: Alot of those taxis for sale with 250.000 km's on the odometer, have a new engine installed, most of them is installed after 80-120.000 km's

I don't like the fact that the 530d engines are breaking down after 100-150.000 km's.. They should last for many more km's.

We have driven 112.000 km's with our 530dA now, and the engine runs as it was new. I'm very careful while driving it. No hard accelration before the oil is warm, and if I've been driving on the autobahn at high speeds for while, I let the engine idle for a few minutes.
Some of these cases in Finland was also Taxi cars... I?m sure it has something to do with the fact that Taxi usage is different from normal.
They are often standing still and waiting someone and car is running.. Also they dont much accelerate because of economy and passengers...
My opinion is that BMW has done these engines for driving and engine likes to be driven hard but gently
And thats what i?m doing and no problems so far
Old 11-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by FIN530D' post='490741' date='Nov 6 2007, 04:58 PM
That is one option but not sure how it will affect to engine.... there is some reason for flaps being there.
In newer cars this intake is totally redesigned not only flaps removed... Thats what i have heard...
Of course you are right. Maybe I should just clean up the intake manifold. That would not hurt...
Old 11-09-2007, 08:32 AM
Members

Will the slag in the manifold cause black smoke during fast acceleration?

Quick Reply: Major diesel engine failure