E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake pedal hard until car started

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The brake pedal is hard each morning (no jokes pleasd!) until the '04 530 is started up and then it works normally. The dealer said that it might be the brake booster (replacement about $1200). A friend suggested that water might have accumulated inside and suggested that changing the brake fluid might cure the situation.

Can anyone share any information and suggestion on this problem prior to my dumping more cash into a car repair....Thanks.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

I know there is a recall for all BMW's with the N62 engine. It has to do with the brake booster and I believe it is the vacume line. I had the dealership take care of it FOR FREE! Yeah, but idk what the deal is with the I6 motors, possibly the same thing. Check the BMW bulletins or just call the dealer.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

I believe others have talked about a check valve that causes the booster to lose vacuum. Should be able to find it thru search...
Old 03-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

Yes, I've also read several posts about the vacuum line. I have the same issue, but don't really consider it an issue. The correct brake pressure is there when the car is on. Most of my other cars function in the same way. Not sure that the brake system is intended to keep pressure indefnitnelty with the car off.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2013 550i M Sport 6MT Alpine White, 2013 X5 50i M Sport Alpine White

Originally Posted by Ceenit
Yes, I've also read several posts about the vacuum line. I have the same issue, but don't really consider it an issue. The correct brake pressure is there when the car is on. Most of my other cars function in the same way. Not sure that the brake system is intended to keep pressure indefnitnelty with the car off.
I agree. In any car, the brake pedal will get firm when the car is off (especially if you press it more than once). But as long as it works when the car is back on, you are fine.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

I complained to my SA about the same issue 2 years ago on my 550. They said it was normal. They replaced the vac line and check valve for the recall a few months ago, and the pedal hasn't been hard (engine off) since.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Many BMW's

Originally Posted by mooseman
The brake pedal is hard each morning (no jokes pleasd!) until the '04 530 is started up and then it works normally. The dealer said that it might be the brake booster (replacement about $1200). A friend suggested that water might have accumulated inside and suggested that changing the brake fluid might cure the situation.

Can anyone share any information and suggestion on this problem prior to my dumping more cash into a car repair....Thanks.
you may search to know how servo brake works ,,,

for example : http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_a_brake_servo_work

I know E60 M5 has an electric air pump so that the brake functions very well even if the engine is off ,, but i'm not sure if the normal E60's have this feature ..
Old 03-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006, US Spec, 530i, Silver Gray, Black leather, Anthricite headliner, Steptronic, Navi Pro, PDC, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Rear Shades, Folding Rear Seats, Bluetooth w/Blackberrt Torch, AUX Input, Bi-Xenon, AIB Angel Eyes w/matching fogs, summer wheels R118 w/PS2 tires, winter wheels R138 w/Michelin PA3 snows

normal to me for the past 5 years. don't sweat it.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Members

Come on people.. there is enough other stuff to bitch about...
Old 03-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Hard brake pedal is nothing to sneeze at. If the pedal is hard and gets softer as car warms up that means the brake booster is NOT holding the vacuum created by the vacuum pump/engine. The leak may be small now but if it gets worse, you will loose power braking all together. It's "to each is own" on these repairs and symptoms but brake systems shouldn't be neglected.

With that said, replacing the brake booster is rather a pain in the a$$. You will have to undo all the brake lines to the master cylinder and then remove the brake pedal from inside the cabin to detach it from the booster. The whole thing comes out as one piece then you will have to remove the master cylinder from the booster, put it back on a new one then put it all back together. When you are done putting it back together, you MUST bleed the brake system with fresh fluid. It's about a 3.5 on a 1-5 difficulty scale.

It took me about 4 hours to replace the master cylinder last year which the dealer ended up replacing again due to the recall on the car.

Quick Reply: Brake pedal hard until car started