E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brainstorm - parting out a 550i, worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 09:37 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2008
Default Brainstorm - parting out a 550i, worthwhile?

I have had 3 people interested in my 08 550i M sport that is in pretty much MINT condition and beyond up to date on maintenance... it's on my friends dealership lot where it has been since January and nothing... It's priced decent and according to retail price (it's on a dealership). I'm starting to consider parting the thing out instead of it just sitting there wasting away and without me paying a large sum just to sell it to the next guy.

Is there a market for parting it out? The classifieds here move at a snails pace.

Whats the drivetrain worth? 96k miles, healthy as can be, new gaskets throughout, up to date on maintenance performed by a well known indyshop and dealership.

Interior worth anything?

I just dont know if it would be worth while here in Indiana to do such a thing. It's a shame to part such a perfect car, but no one wants to buy it complete, so why not?

It would be a lot of hassle to pull things off, but not the end of the world and I might actually enjoy it.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Rather than just passively waiting for someone to wander onto your friend's dealership lot, what have you done to actively market the car? Is it on Auto Trader, Cars.com, Craigslist? Do you or someone you know live on a busy street? Why not park it there for a few days?

Parting it out could potentially make you more but it's a very labor- and time-intensive process. If you have both, go for it.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:23 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by JayArras
Rather than just passively waiting for someone to wander onto your friend's dealership lot, what have you done to actively market the car? Is it on Auto Trader, Cars.com, Craigslist? Do you or someone you know live on a busy street? Why not park it there for a few days?

Parting it out could potentially make you more but it's a very labor- and time-intensive process. If you have both, go for it.
It's on cargurus, craigslist, here, cars.com, and yes it's on one of the highest traffic streets (4 lane) in the highest paid percapita area around. It's very visible. 35mph zone and a few hundred yards from a stoplight so traffic backs up to see the lot while sitting. I've had no interest from cars.com or craigslist, 1 person here but was just a PM and nothing serious, and 3 walk in's to his lot (2 that couldnt afford it with awful credit and 1 guy chose a v6 camaro over the BMW... *uhhh*)

Oh it's all over social media on most of the E60 friendly groups, local groups, a even local "rummage style" groups.

Last edited by BrandonSS; 04-26-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by BrandonSS
It's on cargurus, craigslist, here, cars.com, and yes its on one of the highest traffic street (4 lane) in the highest paid percapita area around.
Try Auto Trader for it's wide circulation. Also, by heavily-trafficked street, I don't mean the dealership lot, where it doesn't stand out by itself. A lot of people think they will get a better deal with a private party, so front lawn is preferable to dealer lot. It's worth a shot.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:33 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by JayArras
Try Auto Trader for it's wide circulation. Also, by heavily-trafficked street, I don't mean the dealership lot, where it doesn't stand out by itself. A lot of people think they will get a better deal with a private party, so front lawn is preferable to dealer lot. It's worth a shot.
Considered that, but then I have to deal with the "it's worth this on KBB for private party value" people. Retail is worth a few thousand more plus with him, he has warranty, financing, and trade-in ability. If it doesnt sell within the next few weeks I will likely bring it home and decide it's fate. I will post it with Autotrader today, I forgot it wasnt up there anymore. It was last fall. The car has been for sale since October with price reductions intermittently
Old 04-26-2016, 02:44 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

brandon, could you post up some pictures of the car? does it have the mtech bumpers?
Old 04-26-2016, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 293 Likes on 282 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

May I ask how much the car is being sold for? That could very well be part of the issue too.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:25 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Engine: N62

I need the rear bumper if your selling it. Let me know

07 550i non sport model

Originally Posted by BrandonSS
I have had 3 people interested in my 08 550i M sport that is in pretty much MINT condition and beyond up to date on maintenance... it's on my friends dealership lot where it has been since January and nothing... It's priced decent and according to retail price (it's on a dealership). I'm starting to consider parting the thing out instead of it just sitting there wasting away and without me paying a large sum just to sell it to the next guy.

Is there a market for parting it out? The classifieds here move at a snails pace.

Whats the drivetrain worth? 96k miles, healthy as can be, new gaskets throughout, up to date on maintenance performed by a well known indyshop and dealership.

Interior worth anything?

I just dont know if it would be worth while here in Indiana to do such a thing. It's a shame to part such a perfect car, but no one wants to buy it complete, so why not?

It would be a lot of hassle to pull things off, but not the end of the world and I might actually enjoy it.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:29 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
May I ask how much the car is being sold for? That could very well be part of the issue too.
On the dealer lot for 15500 now. It's listed here in the classifieds.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 293 Likes on 282 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

You are definitely pricing it to sell. Maybe the market is not there for BMWs. I am surprised you did not get rid off it in tax season.

Quick Reply: Brainstorm - parting out a 550i, worthwhile?