E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW totaled from water getting in engine - no water in interior

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 04:21 PM
AlB
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could have sucked it in the exhaust. That will do it every time. especially if you try to start it when the water covers the tip. Suck cold water in and warps head, valves. etc. and it doesnt have to be a BMW for this to happen.

good luck with your issue
al
Old 09-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

What's the limit for puddles/flooding? How many inches can the car handle?
Old 09-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by richk2' post='670856' date='Sep 16 2008, 05:23 PM
I am not denying my responsibility - I feel incredbily stupid - my only defense is I have been driving an awful long time and have gone through similar water before and never had this problem and didn't even know this could happen
Dude, its like saying "I have never used a condom before and never caught anything..." Get real.
You drove through the high water, the water got into the engine and it hydrolocked, destroying the engine. How is that BMW, dealer, or engine designer fault?
I'm sorry to hear that this happened and I'm sympathetic with you, but learn to accept responsibility for your own action and learn from your mistakes.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Members

once u get water into the intake.. has a chance of getting into the cylinder and water isnt combustible.. Will cause the rod to bend...
I had a jetta just got it and i drove through a puddle in the parking lot .. water got into the intake and then the engine causing it to knock... i was highly pissed cause i just got the damn car!
sorry to hear about your problems!
Old 09-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='670954' date='Sep 16 2008, 08:48 PM
Dude, its like saying "I have never used a condom before and never caught anything..." Get real.
You drove through the high water, the water got into the engine and it hydrolocked, destroying the engine. How is that BMW, dealer, or engine designer fault?
I'm sorry to hear that this happened and I'm sympathetic with you, but learn to accept responsibility for your own action and learn from your mistakes.

OK, ok - Just wanted to get some opinions - it was my fault, I am incredibly stupid and big time sad but I blame no one but me
Old 09-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Members

Now that I know about this, what do you do if you face water you can't get around - would turning off the engine and pushing the car through the water work or can the water get in the engine even if it is off???
Old 09-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by richk2' post='670998' date='Sep 16 2008, 10:50 PM
Now that I know about this, what do you do if you face water you can't get around - would turning off the engine and pushing the car through the water work or can the water get in the engine even if it is off???
If the road is impassible, then it's impassible. The rule of thumb is never to cross a flooded road, even if you're in an SUV...

Take a look here:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english...ood_road.shtml
(I'm sure Google will give you more links if you want to know more.)

How do you get around? You don't...
Old 09-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Sorry to hear about your problem,......I think the only thing to do now is to try to find a junked 535 that was hit in the back or side but has a pristine engine and do a swap. Of course there will be no more warranty but you will have a car to drive. Good luck!
http://www.automotix.net/usedengines...inventory.html
Old 09-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about that man. good luck.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the car to a car service station and change air filter and engine oil immediatelly, (put a cheap oil) Remove the spark plugs and turn the engine with the starter for 1 min 2-3 times with 5 min interval. Then (with new engine oil) work the engine in low revs (1-2K rpm) for 5 min. and change oil again. You may need to change oil again for 3rd time. This is 50% possible to save your engine. The same thing happened 1 year ago to a fellow here with a 335i which his car slipped off the road and entered inclined into a lake's edge where the water has covered the whole front bumper. Dealer told him that he has to replace the engine, but he saved his engine that way and the car is absolutely working 100% like before.
If you are lucky and water has not reached turbos, the possibility to completely save your engine that way is about 90%. Injectors also may be affected.

Quick Reply: BMW totaled from water getting in engine - no water in interior