Go Back   5Series.net - Forums > E60 5 Series (2004 - 2010) > E60 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
Members
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4
Default

I have a 2008 535xi. I went through some deep water on the road over the weekend. I didn't think it was that bad when I started to go in it but the water came up to the bottom of the car - no water actually got in the interior of the car but I stalled and had to pull over (i did get out of the water) and the car was towed
I have now been told that water got in the engine and I need a new engine and other things which will cost 25-30,000 to fix. I have insurance of course and they may even total the car but this is still pretty upsetting.
This is my first BMW which I loved but I have been through water as deep as this with other, lesser cars, that I have owned and never experienced the engine being destroyed. BMW categorically says it is not covered under warranty but my question is, is that reasonable??- that is, it it really a reasonable design for the engine that it will let water go in and destroy the engine merely from going through some deep water??? I am being told by the dealer who I am friendly with that I have no case and he may be right but I just can't believe that my beautiful car can be effectively destroyed so easily and that BMW has no responsibility. Just curious if any of you people who are knowledgeable about mechanics have an opinion on this?????
richk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Contributors
 
seoulman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seoul via Singapore and Vancouver
Posts: 1,774
Default

Hate to say it, but BMW dealer is right. The water damage to your engine is not from a manufacturing defect but you driving through deep water. Admittedly, I'm no mechanic, nor am I an engineer, but a 535xi has a fairly complex engine with intercoolers, turbos, and other electronics that manage the engine. Moreover, "been through water as deep as this" is a fairly quantitative statement. And when driving through water, how fast you drive through it also determines how much water gets to the engine. I've seen cars stall and/or get water damage to the engine by driving through a large puddle with a depth of a few inches. I don't mean to offend you or disagree with you and I understand how upset you must be feeling now, but no warranty will cover engine damage such as yours.
__________________
2014 530d XDrive M Sport: Carbon Black/Cinnamon Brown with all the toppings!
seoulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Members
 
boukehj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Back in the Netherlands since July 2008
Posts: 219
Default

We've had similar situations before:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=37442


http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=47955


Apparently, the E60 is susceptible to hydrolock.

Good luck!
__________________
[s]520d LCI Platingrau, Black Dakota picked up 11 May 07.[/s] Sold 19 Sep 09
boukehj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
Contributors
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC , Canada
Posts: 4,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk2' post='670832' date='Sep 16 2008, 04:36 PM
I have a 2008 535xi. I went through some deep water on the road over the weekend. I didn't think it was that bad when I started to go in it but the water came up to the bottom of the car - no water actually got in the interior of the car but I stalled and had to pull over (i did get out of the water) and the car was towed
I have now been told that water got in the engine and I need a new engine and other things which will cost 25-30,000 to fix. I have insurance of course and they may even total the car but this is still pretty upsetting.
This is my first BMW which I loved but I have been through water as deep as this with other, lesser cars, that I have owned and never experienced the engine being destroyed. BMW categorically says it is not covered under warranty but my question is, is that reasonable??- that is, it it really a reasonable design for the engine that it will let water go in and destroy the engine merely from going through some deep water??? I am being told by the dealer who I am friendly with that I have no case and he may be right but I just can't believe that my beautiful car can be effectively destroyed so easily and that BMW has no responsibility. Just curious if any of you people who are knowledgeable about mechanics have an opinion on this?????

PM Frank970 , he had a water issue with his new 535 but it only required some pretty serious engine work , I'm sure he could add something to this for you !

Good luck !
__________________



Current Car :

2011 X6 Hybrid , Alpine White , Completely loaded, Conti non runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete.........................

Mrs. Westcoast550 :
2011 550 GT , Completely Loaded..............


Retired :

2008 550 ///M Sport ,Alpine White on Black Dakota , loaded ...............................

2004 X5 4.4 Sport , Loaded..................

2007 650i Cabriolet , Stratus Grey on Black Extended Leather , HUD , Comfort Access , Navigation , Logic 7 , Ski Bag , Soft Close Doors , PDC , Dynamic Drive......
.
2007 550///M Sport , Alpine White, on Black Dakota..............................

2003 540///M Sport , Black Saphire on Black Dakota.............................
westcoast550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
Members
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulman' post='670836' date='Sep 16 2008, 04:46 PM
Hate to say it, but BMW dealer is right. The water damage to your engine is not from a manufacturing defect but you driving through deep water. Admittedly, I'm no mechanic, nor am I an engineer, but a 535xi has a fairly complex engine with intercoolers, turbos, and other electronics that manage the engine. Moreover, "been through water as deep as this" is a fairly quantitative statement. And when driving through water, how fast you drive through it also determines how much water gets to the engine. I've seen cars stall and/or get water damage to the engine by driving through a large puddle with a depth of a few inches. I don't mean to offend you or disagree with you and I understand how upset you must be feeling now, but no warranty will cover engine damage such as yours.

I am not denying my responsibility - I feel incredbily stupid - my only defense is I have been driving an awful long time and have gone through similar water before and never had this problem and didn't even know this could happen
richk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Members
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk2' post='670856' date='Sep 16 2008, 06:23 PM
I am not denying my responsibility - I feel incredbily stupid - my only defense is I have been driving an awful long time and have gone through similar water before and never had this problem and didn't even know this could happen

Go through your insurance company
This is not a warranty issue.
__________________
Current Stable:

E60 530xi SP, PP, CWP, Nav, SAT Radio
E39 530i PP, CWP, Nav
MB ML320 M1, M2, M3, Nav
MB C230

Retired:

E39 528i
MB E320
E36 325i
roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
Contributors
 
Krozi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Posts: 7,421
Default

What's the limit for puddles/flooding? How many inches can the car handle?

I thought for a car that costs 60 grand, they would have some mechanism that blocks the engine intakes against water, your engine stalls, but at least it doesn't die.
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White/Fox Red/ - 6 Spd//Carbon Fiber Roof//Technology Package//
//Premium Package//Cold Weather Package//Enhanced Premium Sound//iPod and USB adapter//Rear Sun Shade//
Krozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
Senior Members
 
Richard in NC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 1,517
Default

Sorry to hear that.

What is interesting is my X3 manual states "Fording ability 18 inches". If I drive thru 16 inches of water and it dies, am I covered?

Obviously I'm not about to try.

It appears that BMWs do have very low mounted air intakes. Water gets sucked in thru the air filter and poof.
__________________
Current cars:
New X5 50i Alpine White, Beige Nappa, M Sport, lots of options
2009 Z4 35i, Sapphire Black/Ivory/Anthacite: Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, DCT, 19s, CA, Sat radio, Nav, PDC

Previous BMWs:
2008 BMW 550i, 2006 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 650i, 2002 BMW M5, 1999 BMW 540i
Richard in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
Contributors
 
Krozi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Posts: 7,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='670903' date='Sep 16 2008, 07:40 PM
Sorry to hear that.

What is interesting is my X3 manual states "Fording ability 18 inches". If I drive thru 16 inches of water and it dies, am I covered?

Obviously I'm not about to try.

It appears that BMWs do have very low mounted air intakes. Water gets sucked in thru the air filter and poof.
I think you would have a very hard time trying to prove the depth of water you were in. Unless you have a camera and a meter stick with you that will difficult. Even if you had those things, the puddle might have a deeper spot somewhere from where you stalled and then BMW might say that the car stalled in deeper water and not where the picture was taken. They might also say you tampered with the meter stick. These things can get rather ugly, rather fast.
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White/Fox Red/ - 6 Spd//Carbon Fiber Roof//Technology Package//
//Premium Package//Cold Weather Package//Enhanced Premium Sound//iPod and USB adapter//Rear Sun Shade//
Krozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #10
Super Moderator
 
Rudy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
Posts: 17,292
Default

I'm sorry about your engine being ruined, and the problems you're likely to go through as you work this mess out.

I hate to sound like a Monday morning quarterback, but regardless of the car, driving through water that spans across a road is never a good idea. Sure, maybe an SUV (or X3) is capable of making it through without taking a "gulp", you still never know what lies under the water, etc.

Remember, they're cars, not boats...
__________________
2011 550i in Alpine White/Venetian Beige Dakota Leather/Light Wood Trim with: M-Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Active Ventilated Seat Package, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Driver Assistance Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Premium Package 2, Integral Active Steering, Ski Bag, Split Fold-Down Rear Seats, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control, Side and Top View Cameras, Head-up Display, Smartphone Integration, Night Vision with Pedestrian Detection, and Combox Controller. (In other words, I got everything except x-Drive and the Rear Seat Entertainment System...) Build completed October 6, 2010. Current software version = F010-10-09-522 (ISTA version 2.39.4)
2008 Alpine White 550i SAT & 2004 Alpine White 545i SMG -- gone but not forgotten!

Miss you JDN!
Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:07 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:31 PM.


All content Copyright 2012 by Internet Brands, Inc.