E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bmw E60 N52B25 -VANOS Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 01:29 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530i M SPORT

Originally Posted by xytras1979
Hello again, I think I have solved my problem / engine works fine now / good Vanos parameters + no MIL. I will explain you exactly what I have done :
1. I have flushed my engine with METABOND CL ,after I have changed the Oil even the oil had less 3000 km. ( The oil filter was very dirty - so I think that Metabond have done something...
2. I have replaced both non -return valves on the cyl head (code 11367541692- see also the pictures) - both of them found very dirty. These "non- return valves / checked valves" prevent the oil to drain form the cyl. head when engine is stopped ;
3 . I have replace only the intake solenoid valve . Now you can see from the INPA print that the "E-ventil" is working . Before on the INPA graph it was stuck on 125 CRK / 10 % opening- in fact this is the value when the engine is stopped - normaly it should be around 85 CRK and the opening percent should change in real time.

Frankly I don't thing that the problem was the solenoid ( I have mesure the resitance and I found same value on old ones like the new one) I think that the problem comes from the dirty oil / sludge in engine & the clogged "non -return valves" ....interesting .
So keep your oil clean / keep your engine clean and maybe you can have fun ...

Hi, I am having the same problem as you have had. Can you please explain where the 2 non returns valves are located on the cylinder head and also can they be removed and checked without actually removing the head cover etc as per solenoids??

Many thanks
Old 05-19-2013, 10:16 AM
New Members

There is no need to dismantle the cylhead topcover - in fact there is no need to dismantle anything. Both "check valves " are located on the leftside of the engine- viewed from front of the car . You need a no 8 torx spanner - as far as I remebered. Acces is not so easy but can be done by someone skillfull
Any way normally these valves must be check / clean at every oil change . Also I want to announce you all, that after 500 km my problem reapears - I will again proceed with an oil change + dismantling the cyl head top cover to manually cleaning the sludge - I still hope that problem comes from there. If not ... new cylhead...I will keep you inform about my work.
Good luck ! - it seems that all N52 owners need it...
Old 05-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

I hear that there's a new cylinder head for the N52 that will make it have a better oil flow in order to reduce ticking and I guess minimize sludge. Someone may confirm this.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:50 PM
New Members

Thanks for that reply. Would you have a picture of the location at all? If I can't fix it I would like as much info as possible for my mechanic.

Many thanks
Old 05-20-2013, 01:43 PM
New Members

My Ride: 523 Touring 2006, 328 Coupé 1999

Originally Posted by xytras1979
There is no need to dismantle the cylhead topcover - in fact there is no need to dismantle anything. Both "check valves " are located on the leftside of the engine- viewed from front of the car . You need a no 8 torx spanner - as far as I remebered. Acces is not so easy but can be done by someone skillfull
<snip>
Thanks xytras1979, tried hard to locate the valves today but failed.

Please have a look at the picture where I made a red circle, is this one of the valves?

I'd appreciate if you can indicate the other valve too in the picture (or both if I'm wrong).
Attached Thumbnails bmw E60 N52B25 -VANOS Problem?-bmw-n52_front_right.jpg  
Old 05-28-2013, 04:52 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by blueswede
Thanks xytras1979, tried hard to locate the valves today but failed.

Please have a look at the picture where I made a red circle, is this one of the valves?

I'd appreciate if you can indicate the other valve too in the picture (or both if I'm wrong).
Hi, I checked that and can confirm its not one of the check valves. Still do not have a clue where they are lol!!!

Cheers
Old 12-23-2014, 04:23 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by bota
Just an update!

Both solenoids replaced and engine runs fine now.

Update. Again Vanos intake:
I will try to put everything in chronological order:
1. two years ago (30kkm) I got check engine codes for vanos when both solenoids were replaced. This clear codes and the car run fine since then.
2. a month ago after 100km of dynamic driving and many WOTs, check engine light came again: 2A82 and 2A89 for intake Vanos.
3. after we switched solenoids from intake to exhaust, the code remained the same. Mechanic concluded it must be something else, normally.
4. in the same period of time, i.e. from 90kkm to 120kkm the oil consumption increased from some 1 litre on 2000 km to 1l on 600km. Mechanic guessed it might be oil separator.
5. Finally mechanic took the car for more detailed inspection. After removal of intake manifold, he noticed broken DISA adjuster unit (part code 11617579114) and replaced with used one. Also, the oil separator and the hoses were replaced (they were full of oil sludge) and all adaptations cleared from the computer. After this, mechanic suggested not to change anything in the vanos, yet.
6. Nevertheless, the codes remained together with stalling in acceleration until 3000 RPM (like before) and hiccups on idle (not so ofter before). However, oil consumption dropped (after 850km two dots on idrive).
7. Now, the mechanic suggested to replace vanos inlet adjustment unit (11367583207), timing chain and tensioner (when it is already open) and some ring on inlet camshaft (not know which part exactly).

Now, I have few questions:
-> any other idea on vanos codes (because I saw many different comments over forums, like solenoids, some rings, non-return valves, engine flushing...but I did not run on adjustment unit replacement at all)
-> is this oil consumption acceptable (oil is 5w30)
-> is it possible that idle hiccup is correlated with Vanos.

any ideas anybody?
Old 12-23-2014, 07:32 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Engine: N52

bota, what is you year and model?
Old 12-24-2014, 01:16 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by twh
bota, what is you year and model?
How I missed this

E60 N52B25 year 2005.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:02 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Engine: N52

Check out the PDF in this post:
https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...4/#post1544295

Quick Reply: bmw E60 N52B25 -VANOS Problem?