E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

bmw E60 N52B25 -VANOS Problem?

Old 11-14-2012, 12:42 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bmw E60 N52B25 -VANOS Problem?

Hello everybody ,
Can anyone confirm me that I have a problem with Vanos Inlet Solenoid Valve ?
As you can see in the two picture - INPA revealed DTCs for Inlet cam (2A82-P0012 + +2A98-P1554) but also on parameters for VANOS you can see that Outlet Vanos is on red...maybe I have not well understand .
I mention also that I have rough idle + MIL (Check engine light) .I have already remove + clean (blow with service air ) both solenoid valves without any results. Can be also something else in Vanos System that can trigger this kind of DTC (I mean some other sensor or mechanical stuff- chain alignment , Vanos mechanical block etc ) ? Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails bmw E60 N52B25 -VANOS Problem?-vanos-1.jpg   bmw E60 N52B25 -VANOS Problem?-error.jpg  
Old 11-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi (N52 6-cylinder engine)2002 325xi (M54 6-cylinder engine)2008 Specialized Roubaix road bike

I had the same problem with my 530 (N52B30) but with the exhaust solenoid. I did not have access to INPA at the time but the Diagnostic Trouble Codes pointed to the outlet (exhaust) solenoid.

I recommend exchanging the inlet and exhaust solenoids--they are identical. The exhaust VANOS is less critical than the inlet so your engine should run smoother.

If the problem moves to the exhaust VANOS then you've confirmed that the inlet solenoid is bad. Then replace it. Be sure to get the o-ring kit for each so you don't have to deal with leaks. The exchange is easy.

My Peake reader showed a code of 2A87, which indicates a sticking exhaust VANOS. Being secondary in
importance to the intake VANOS, performance degradation was barely perceptible.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails bmw E60 N52B25 -VANOS Problem?-dsc02459.jpg   bmw E60 N52B25 -VANOS Problem?-b-dsc02467.jpg  

Last edited by latitude39; 11-16-2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Added DTC code
Old 11-17-2012, 12:28 AM
New Members

Thak you for your answer ,
Today I have swaped the solenoids (from exhaust to inlet) and I was amazed to see that was no change in DTC codes + same parameters revealed in INPA....so logically the problem is not the solenoids...
Also I refuse to believe that a 60 k engine can have camshaft / camshaft bearings or other major problem...So I will proceed with an oil change + renewing the 2 solenoids. I will keep you update.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi (N52 6-cylinder engine)2002 325xi (M54 6-cylinder engine)2008 Specialized Roubaix road bike

Good luck in your quest. I look forward to hearing about your solution.

There's a new part number for the solenoid--see attached photo. Hopefully this means the "sticky solenoid" problem has been addressed by BMW.
Attached Thumbnails bmw E60 N52B25 -VANOS Problem?-realoem_vanos_solenoid-annotated.jpg  
Old 11-23-2012, 04:43 AM
New Members

Hello again, I think I have solved my problem / engine works fine now / good Vanos parameters + no MIL. I will explain you exactly what I have done :
1. I have flushed my engine with METABOND CL ,after I have changed the Oil even the oil had less 3000 km. ( The oil filter was very dirty - so I think that Metabond have done something...
2. I have replaced both non -return valves on the cyl head (code 11367541692- see also the pictures) - both of them found very dirty. These "non- return valves / checked valves" prevent the oil to drain form the cyl. head when engine is stopped ;
3 . I have replace only the intake solenoid valve . Now you can see from the INPA print that the "E-ventil" is working . Before on the INPA graph it was stuck on 125 CRK / 10 % opening- in fact this is the value when the engine is stopped - normaly it should be around 85 CRK and the opening percent should change in real time.

Frankly I don't thing that the problem was the solenoid ( I have mesure the resitance and I found same value on old ones like the new one) I think that the problem comes from the dirty oil / sludge in engine & the clogged "non -return valves" ....interesting .
So keep your oil clean / keep your engine clean and maybe you can have fun ...
Attached Thumbnails bmw E60 N52B25 -VANOS Problem?-vanos-normal-working.jpg   bmw E60 N52B25 -VANOS Problem?-vanos-malfunction.jpg   bmw E60 N52B25 -VANOS Problem?-non-return-valve-.jpg   bmw E60 N52B25 -VANOS Problem?-non-return-valve-11367541692-.jpg  
Old 11-24-2012, 05:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by xytras1979
Hello again, I think I have solved my problem / engine works fine now / good Vanos parameters + no MIL. I will explain you exactly what I have done :
1. I have flushed my engine with METABOND CL ,after I have changed the Oil even the oil had less 3000 km. ( The oil filter was very dirty - so I think that Metabond have done something...
2. I have replaced both non -return valves on the cyl head (code 11367541692- see also the pictures) - both of them found very dirty. These "non- return valves / checked valves" prevent the oil to drain form the cyl. head when engine is stopped ;
3 . I have replace only the intake solenoid valve . Now you can see from the INPA print that the "E-ventil" is working . Before on the INPA graph it was stuck on 125 CRK / 10 % opening- in fact this is the value when the engine is stopped - normaly it should be around 85 CRK and the opening percent should change in real time.

Frankly I don't thing that the problem was the solenoid ( I have mesure the resitance and I found same value on old ones like the new one) I think that the problem comes from the dirty oil / sludge in engine & the clogged "non -return valves" ....interesting .
So keep your oil clean / keep your engine clean and maybe you can have fun ...
It is good to hear that you had success. I am surprised that the non-return valves have that accumulation on them.

The resistance on my intake solenoid seemed OK, like yours. However, I don't think the electrical part of the solenoid had failed. I think the moving part was sticking and that BMW addressed that with a modified solenoid, hence the new part number.

Anyway, your problem is fixed.

Thanks for following-through and giving us the updates so that we may learn from your experience.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:27 AM
New Members

Yes you have right on "solenoid problem " resitance is only an indication of electrical part. What made me say that was not a "solenoid problem " was the INPA graphs before and after. I mean the graph for both VANOS - Intake / Exhaust were blocked on 10 % opening and -115 CRK for exhaust & 125 CRK for intake - so both of them didn't work...Strange indeed why the exhaust vanos didn't give any error code...
Any way now you can see in real time that both of them works fine ( the INPA show variations on both intake / exhaust percentage + CRK) If you think that I had changed only Intake solenoid and know works fine also the exhaust one...so the problem was indeed the dirty oil / sludge in engine and maybe also the "non -return valve".
The only thing to be sure about that is to put the old intake solenoid in place ...but I will not do it
Old 01-11-2013, 07:02 AM
New Members

Hello,

I think I have the same issue.
'Check engine' occurred when I loaded poor gasoline.

At the beginning I didn't notice anything unusual, but in last few days I have rattling sound occasionally and unstable idle in first 30 seconds after starting the engine.

Three codes emerged, while in second reading only first two remained (see pic)
Attached Thumbnails bmw E60 N52B25 -VANOS Problem?-dsc_codes.jpg  
Old 03-05-2013, 02:24 AM
New Members

Just an update!

Both solenoids replaced and engine runs fine now.

Originally Posted by bota
Hello,

I think I have the same issue.
'Check engine' occurred when I loaded poor gasoline.

At the beginning I didn't notice anything unusual, but in last few days I have rattling sound occasionally and unstable idle in first 30 seconds after starting the engine.

Three codes emerged, while in second reading only first two remained (see pic)
Old 03-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

OP, you can try to reset adaptions first (obviously while engine is off) if not working, clean your intake/exhaust solenoids, if that doesn't work, replace them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bmw E60 N52B25 -VANOS Problem?