E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bmw e60 Help removing rear center arm rest plate for subwoofer ventilation.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 04:38 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 525i
Default Bmw e60 Help removing rear center arm rest plate for subwoofer ventilation.

So i put 2 orion hcca's is the trunk of my e60. They need to breathe. I do not have the ski port option for the arm rest. What should i do?
When i let down the rear arm rest there is a plastic holder which i did remove but couldnt get anywhere past that. Help please. These subs really need to breath and we all no bmw trunk are WELL insulated.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:37 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2010

Only way to do it is to cut it out. That's how I did mines. Bad thing is that most people can't cut straight lines. SO you will notice the uneven shape. So to fix that I made a cover plate that goes over the whole area. With a hole for the sound to port into the car (covered my speaker fabric).
Old 06-16-2015, 07:24 AM
New Members

Default Fugured

Originally Posted by myxyzxo
Only way to do it is to cut it out. That's how I did mines. Bad thing is that most people can't cut straight lines. SO you will notice the uneven shape. So to fix that I made a cover plate that goes over the whole area. With a hole for the sound to port into the car (covered my speaker fabric).
Do you have pics? What to use?
Old 06-16-2015, 08:44 AM
New Members

I'll get pics up tonight. But basically I used a tower from an old Mac G5 computer. Took it to a friends machine shop and he cut it out. Then used double sided tape to hold it in place.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:54 AM
New Members

Default Definitely want to see

I'll get pics up tonight. But basically I used a tower from an old Mac G5 computer. Took it to a friends machine shop and he cut it out. Then used double sided tape to hold it in place.
Yeah because i cant hear shit when im outside of the car because its so well insulated. My truck u can feel me comin before you hear me lol and i hope i can get that effect in the car. Yeah bro please post em. Did u turn the subs around?
Old 06-16-2015, 09:25 AM
New Members

My box design isn't your typical box style. You have an either sealed or ported box. Where as mines is a 6th order box. It's basically completely sealed inside of the enclosure (you don't see the sub at all). Then it's ported directly into the car (via the cut out hole). There's no trunk rattle or distortion in sound, it's just nice a clean sound all around.. Your style use the trunk for the sound to reflect (that's why it sounds differently depending on which way the subs are facing. And if you have your trunk open the sound is flat. I don't have that problem. Trunk can be completely open and it sounds exactly the same as if it were closed.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:50 AM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Cuttting thru the backrest is really not that hard to do . I cut thru from the trunk side .
I made a custom enclosure . I used 1 inch MDF made a custom ported bandpass enclosure . Ported thru into the cab , and flushes out into the plastic center cover.. When I open my trunk with it full blast, you can't even really hear it .. no rattles at all and no sound waves bouncing in the trunk ... Every bit of sound gets pushed into the cab thru a 4 inch port and its super quiet out side the car even with the trunk open ..
The center plastic cover , lots of things you can do if you get creative to make a nice transition so it looks nice inside the car .

Last edited by H F; 06-17-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:37 AM
New Members

^+1
Old 06-18-2015, 09:59 AM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

^+1
From what you describe ,, a 6th order enclose is a type of bandpass design . With a port between the magnet and speaker divider . Does that give a different deeper tone ? Compared to a sealed magnet air space ? I only ported the speaker side into the cab . I'm wondering what the effect difference is with the magnet side ported into the speaker side vs not having that extra internal port .
Old 06-20-2015, 07:30 PM
New Members

My Ride: 13 X5 35i M-Sport (Sold) 535i M-Sport - (Sold) 07 530i Sport Gray - (Traded) 04 530i Sport Gray
Model Year: 2004

Sometimes you get help and sometimes you don't and just have to dig in and find out on your own. Here's a good start though: https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...i-port-109544/

I never got my quest answered and had to fig out on my own if the seat and backing were 2 pieces. They are not. the backing is just carpet on the back of the seat. Take off the outer plastic plate/covering on the inside - that's 1 piece to cut. Then take the seat completely out - that's the 2nd piece to cut. Trace the size of your cut on a piece of paper or cardboard first. Then pencil outline your cut on the the 2 pieces to cut for a near perfect cut. I used a mesh grille to cover to prevent ppl from sticking hands/fingers into the sub. I have yet to post my pics of my project along w/all my other mods.

Quick Reply: Bmw e60 Help removing rear center arm rest plate for subwoofer ventilation.