E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery Safety Terminal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i - Sport Package - Comfort Package - Navigation - Bluetooth - Ipod - Sirius

Hi all, so I recently replaced my battery at Firestone (i know....), since the stealership was trying to charge $470 in Washington. The Firestone registered my battery, which I was told was just resetting the vehicles power system, so that it will recognize the new voltage??..Anyways soon after I got a "passenger restraint fault" message, so I took it to the stealership and they said it was a bad battery safety terminal, which is tied into the airbag system. It will cost $525+ tax to replace. I told them I recently got my battery installed at Firestone and asked if it would have caused that problem. The SA could not say yes or no. So, I took it back to Firestone, which now is trying to fight the fact that there at fault.

Has anyone every replaced this on an E60? Just in case this is some sort of coincidence and Firestone isnt at fault, I don't want to shell out $525 if its an easy fix?
Old 05-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by kevtran
..Anyways soon after I got a "passenger restraint fault" message, so I took it to the stealership and they said it was a bad battery safety terminal, which is tied into the airbag system.
The BST is part of the airbag system. When it fails, what it usually means is that it's lost it's resistance and the Vehicle Center Satellite detects the 'disconnect.' The BST has a primer cap in it that explodes when the airbags go off to cut power to the starter...

dwm on the bimmerfest board did a good write up on how he 'deleted' the BST by replacing it with a 2 ohm .25 Amp fast blow fuse.

It will cost $525+ tax to replace. I told them I recently got my battery installed at Firestone and asked if it would have caused that problem. The SA could not say yes or no. So, I took it back to Firestone, which now is trying to fight the fact that there at fault.
realoem lists the BST as a $176 part for 61126929324.

I would say that Firestone is at fault. The BST is the 'positive' battery connection and since they replaced the battery they either damaged it or forgot to plug the sensor back in all the way and it has come loose.

It might not need replacing. Open the rear panel and wiggle the wires around and verify that everything is plugged in.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Members

anybody has a pic of the bst part and pic of where it is located????
Old 05-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Senior Members

#2 in this diagram, located on top of the battery
Attached Thumbnails Battery Safety Terminal?-244.png  
Old 05-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by brooklynbmw
Uh... On top of the battery. in the trunk. Passenger side. Behind the panel. Should you be doing this?
Old 05-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by brooklynbmw
Here is a pic of a bad one (with fingers in the pic). Notice the silver part outside the black insulator. It has been activated.
They attach to the positive terminal of your battery.
Attached Thumbnails Battery Safety Terminal?-bad_bst.jpg   Battery Safety Terminal?-bst.jpg  
Old 05-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i - Sport Package - Comfort Package - Navigation - Bluetooth - Ipod - Sirius

Originally Posted by or_550i
The BST is part of the airbag system. When it fails, what it usually means is that it's lost it's resistance and the Vehicle Center Satellite detects the 'disconnect.' The BST has a primer cap in it that explodes when the airbags go off to cut power to the starter...

dwm on the bimmerfest board did a good write up on how he 'deleted' the BST by replacing it with a 2 ohm .25 Amp fast blow fuse.

realoem lists the BST as a $176 part for 61126929324.

I would say that Firestone is at fault. The BST is the 'positive' battery connection and since they replaced the battery they either damaged it or forgot to plug the sensor back in all the way and it has come loose.

It might not need replacing. Open the rear panel and wiggle the wires around and verify that everything is plugged in.
I got a quote from Garry @ Newport for $150 shipped. I tried to search bummerfest for the bst bypass, but couldn't find it. Do you mind linking me? I checked all cables and they are tight.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Senior Members

Do you mind linking me? I checked all cables and they are tight.
Z3 deleting the battery safety terminal
Well, I'll bet that the battery change led to a pre-mature death.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Members

Thats funny, I have the EXACT same problem as you. Awaiting the SBK cable and will replace it.

Refer my post: https://5series.net/forums/topic/977...&#entry1160387
Old 05-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by krisaowa

Thats funny, I have the EXACT same problem as you. Awaiting the SBK cable and will replace it.

Refer my post: https://5series.net/forums/topic/977...&#entry1160387
Are you installing it yourself?

Quick Reply: Battery Safety Terminal?