E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery registration for 100 AH AGM battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 06:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i
Model Year: 2006

In the end, I chose to err on the side of caution and selected 90AH (non-AGM). After doing some more research, I don't think this value is used for charging anyway, but rather for calculating how much "spare" capacity the battery has before the IBS/DME/MPM modules start shutting down non-essential accessories to maintain enough energy to start the car. For example, with the 90AH setting I'll have less time to use the radio with the engine off before it is automatically shut down.

I think the actual charging is controlled based on the voltage and current measured across the battery terminals by the IBS, similarly to how a "smart" battery charger operates.

-cinergi

Last edited by cinergi; 10-07-2016 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:18 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by cinergi
In the end, I chose to err on the side of caution and selected 90AH (non-AGM). After doing some more research, I don't think this value is used for charging anyway, but rather for calculating how much "spare" capacity the battery has before the IBS/DME/MPM modules start shutting down non-essential accessories to maintain enough energy to start the car. For example, with the 90AH setting I'll have less time to use the radio with the engine off before it is automatically shut down.

I think the actual charging is controlled based on the voltage and current measured across the battery terminals by the IBS, similarly to how a "smart" battery charger operates.

-cinergi
Correct, plus the temperature of the battery. I don't think that "smart" battery chargers take the temperature into consideration. As the temperature drops, one can see that the charging voltage increase. I have seen up to 15+ v on mine. The usual voltage for a running car at 21 C is between 14.1 to 14.6.

Salut, Bob P.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:56 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530xd e61 '07

Hello,

I've replaced my 110AH battery with a 100AH AGM battery. However, the highest AGM capacity that can be registered is 90AH. My choices are therefore to register the battery as a 110AH non-AGM (like my old one), or a 90AH AGM. I decided on the latter since I figure it's safer to under-charge than to over-charge, and it's important for the charging system to know that the battery is AGM. Seems to be working fine so far. Did I make the right choice?

Thanks,
cinergi
you did right!
there is almost no difference 90 or 100, but it is very important to set AGM
Old 10-17-2016, 09:02 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 550i
Model Year: 08

Is registering a battery possible as DIY or it has to be done at the dealer?
Old 10-17-2016, 09:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by roadmax
Is registering a battery possible as DIY or it has to be done at the dealer?
Possible as DYI with the right software (INPA and NCS Expert) and an OBD2 cable.

The bmwcoding.com forum has some good guides available for general use of these tools.

-cinergi
Old 10-31-2016, 03:01 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004

Possible as DYI with the right software (INPA and NCS Expert) and an OBD2 cable.

The bmwcoding.com forum has some good guides available for general use of these tools.

-cinergi
Actually to be more specific, registration can be done with DIS 57 or Tool32 and you'll need NCSEXPER to change the battery type and rating, thus if you are replacing battery with same type and approx. rating registration is all you need to do.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:28 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Engine: N52

Or, just use Carly for BMW.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cmyachtie
Actually to be more specific, registration can be done with DIS 57 or Tool32 and you'll need NCSEXPER to change the battery type and rating, thus if you are replacing battery with same type and approx. rating registration is all you need to do.
Yes correct; I focused on INPA and NCS Expert because they are more easily available and generally cheaper / free than the official dealership tools like DIS or ISTA.

Tool32 can indeed be used for battery registration, but I find INPA easier to use. Tool32 requires opening the correct module file and selecting the correct job for battery registration from a long list of jobs with somewhat unintuitive names. INPA can accomplish the same thing in a more friendly user interface; it's also easier to display the detailed battery statistics (last registration km, current state of charge, etc.) in INPA.

The easiest software to use would be the official BMW dealership tools like DIS (as you mentioned) or ISTA.

Carly is indeed another option; I personally have no experience with it, but based on the screen shots I've seen it seems quite easy to use. The problem I have with Carly is that the functionality is limited according to the documentation, you have to pay to unlock specific functionality, and you also have to pay for the recommended OBD2 interface. Definitely easier to use than the BMW standard tools though; the advantage of the Standard Tools suite (INPA, NCS, Tool32, WinKFP) is that it provides the full functionality with no restrictions.

-cinergi

Last edited by cinergi; 10-31-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:15 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004

Also, someone correct me if I am wrong here, I believe that with the V8 engines at least with my 545 There is nowhere where ?I can find on how to register the battery in INPA, which is why I mentioned Tool32 and DIS57. I believe that the MPM Module maybe at play here which is why INPA is unable to register the battery.
If it can be done with a 545 with the POWER MODULE running INPA, I would love to see a step by step on the process.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cmyachtie
Also, someone correct me if I am wrong here, I believe that with the V8 engines at least with my 545 There is nowhere where ?I can find on how to register the battery in INPA, which is why I mentioned Tool32 and DIS57. I believe that the MPM Module maybe at play here which is why INPA is unable to register the battery.
If it can be done with a 545 with the POWER MODULE running INPA, I would love to see a step by step on the process.
Ah, that is possible. I was speaking from my experience with an N52 engine (I6). For my engine, the path to follow in INPA is: Select engine management system (MSV70 in my case) > F5 for power > F5 to register battery. This path doesn't exist for you?

cinergi

Quick Reply: Battery registration for 100 AH AGM battery