E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AUX/iPod eBay: My Negative Review and install process

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 03:43 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530i
Default AUX/iPod eBay: My Negative Review and install process

This is the product:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271411860...84.m1497.l2649

My car: 2003 BMW 530i E60 (MASK business nav) - I've already coded the Aux function

I had no idea how to install, mainly the red wire (to charge iPod) and where to plug it. So after it arrived, pull apart the console and went to plug the main plug in, and it seems there was already a plug in there, so I removed it and replaced it with this iPod adapter plug.

Used a multi meter and searched every single port to plug the red wire into, with everything still pushing 12v after the car is already off, or would be 5v. Wanted to find a port that would be 12v but turn off once car is off.

Couldn't find one, expect a 5v port, im fairly sure the iPod is a 5v charge, so used this, didn't work didnt charge nor play, so i put a plug adapter I had for the iPod (i believe it's a 12v to 5v converter) that I bought as well (as my old ones on other cars used the same device to allow it to charge - but lost the original one I had) so that plugged in, everything went hay wire. Numerous error codes and wipers going off etc. So took it off, maybe it was the converter I just bought that had issues..?

Changed the red wire to plug into one of the 12v ports, and connected the iPod again, with no luck, nothing playing or charging. Plugged the iPod converter charge adapter I had again, same issues and then it blew.. lol.. (puff of smoke and a pop).. not sure if it was just the adapter that's crap or it shouldn't have been used in this scenario..

Found a different 12v plug, used, no luck, nothing. Using the multimeter, it was showing that the ports were working etc.

Next, pulled out the plug, and swapped the plug for the one of the original ones (put the harness over the ipod plug and put it into the right hand slot (was in the LHS slot before). Same, nothing worked..

Wasted 2.5 hours and nothing has worked, I've concluded it must just be a shit, non working wire. I still want the Aux functionality, btut not sure what to do next, thinking of getting the aux cable that is the channels and ground wires that you stick into the back of the original plug... I'm thinking that has to work..

Concluded, after all this, shit product didn't work for me. Only thing positive, is that my cigarette lighter wasn't working, and found the busted fused, replaced and working again (yay).

Last edited by mwaku; 10-29-2014 at 03:46 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:07 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW E60
Exclamation

Originally Posted by mwaku
This is the product:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271411860...84.m1497.l2649

My car: 2003 BMW 530i E60 (MASK business nav) - I've already coded the Aux function

I had no idea how to install, mainly the red wire (to charge iPod) and where to plug it. So after it arrived, pull apart the console and went to plug the main plug in, and it seems there was already a plug in there, so I removed it and replaced it with this iPod adapter plug.

Used a multi meter and searched every single port to plug the red wire into, with everything still pushing 12v after the car is already off, or would be 5v. Wanted to find a port that would be 12v but turn off once car is off.

Couldn't find one, expect a 5v port, im fairly sure the iPod is a 5v charge, so used this, didn't work didnt charge nor play, so i put a plug adapter I had for the iPod (i believe it's a 12v to 5v converter) that I bought as well (as my old ones on other cars used the same device to allow it to charge - but lost the original one I had) so that plugged in, everything went hay wire. Numerous error codes and wipers going off etc. So took it off, maybe it was the converter I just bought that had issues..?

Changed the red wire to plug into one of the 12v ports, and connected the iPod again, with no luck, nothing playing or charging. Plugged the iPod converter charge adapter I had again, same issues and then it blew.. lol.. (puff of smoke and a pop).. not sure if it was just the adapter that's crap or it shouldn't have been used in this scenario..

Found a different 12v plug, used, no luck, nothing. Using the multimeter, it was showing that the ports were working etc.

Next, pulled out the plug, and swapped the plug for the one of the original ones (put the harness over the ipod plug and put it into the right hand slot (was in the LHS slot before). Same, nothing worked..

Wasted 2.5 hours and nothing has worked, I've concluded it must just be a shit, non working wire. I still want the Aux functionality, btut not sure what to do next, thinking of getting the aux cable that is the channels and ground wires that you stick into the back of the original plug... I'm thinking that has to work..

Concluded, after all this, shit product didn't work for me. Only thing positive, is that my cigarette lighter wasn't working, and found the busted fused, replaced and working again (yay).
can i see a diagram of the aux/ipod kit that your referring to?
Old 10-29-2014, 04:07 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

I use an i simple is75 cable plugged in the aux jack . Have it wired straight to the battery . charges with the car off , I have iphone 5 adapter on it , had it many years with no issues ..

Peripheral iSimple IS75 iPod 3G iPhone 4 iPhone Cable Charger | eBay

Last edited by H F; 10-29-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:52 AM
New Members

^ I don't have an aux jack, I need to buy the cord that connects the wires into the back plug and goes to a female jack, then make that jack available to the front of the casing and then connect the aux from there. To charge the iPod, I need to then have the wire connect to one of the ports from yesterday (all where 12v) and just earth the other wire.

When you say it charges with the car off, that's what i was trying to avoid, as I was keeping the battery life in mind, so i kept trying to find a port that would not charge whilst the car was off (but all of the 12v ports that I could find stayed on).

@Diagram: There wasn't a diagram included, not sure what you're after but I had to figure out where to connect everything myself. Basically I just removed the RHS plug (the plug on the OEM one that's under the fuse) See picture:

Then I connected the red wire into the same master plug as seen above but into a port that was 12v (shared with an existing wire) and had the earth connected to the metal of that plug. I also changed the harness to try plugging into the other side right next to it with no luck.

What engages curiosity is I have no idea what the original plug that was in there was doing, I unplugged it, put the iPod plug in, and I didn't seem to lose any functionality...?

Last edited by mwaku; 10-30-2014 at 04:57 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:07 AM
New Members

Found this today (urgh) but this might help explain what I did:
(scroll to 2000+ BMW)
BMW Car Radio Stereo Audio Wiring Diagram Autoradio connector wire installation schematic schema esquema de conexiones Anschlusskammern konektor

I plugged the red wire into port 16 (ACC 12v) and earthed the black wire in the metal between where the zig zag type line is

Last edited by mwaku; 10-30-2014 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:55 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 30d, E39 35i
Model Year: 2004, 2001
Engine: M57n

Glad thats sorted for you. I remember when i was looking for a switched 12v 'Ignition live', it was a teddius affair - I ended up tapping off one of the diagnostic port wires (and then low AMP fused it from there) - cant recall colour but easy to find with tester kit. Works but not ideal as was on other side of car
Old 10-31-2014, 08:50 PM
New Members

Haha nice.

I actually didn't solve it, I meant that's what I did to install, but that didn't work though for me.

(I plugged the red wire into port 16 (ACC 12v) and earthed the black wire in the metal between where the zig zag type line is): Didn't work (iPod still didn't charge etc)

So it must mean the cord sucks lol