E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Another micro power module (MPM) blown!

Old 08-10-2007, 05:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 550i

I just read some other member's post about the micro power module in the trunk that was burnt out after a salt water spill. I had a similiar experience just yesterday when I opened my trunk. It was raining heavily, and when I opened the trunk on my 2004 545i, some of the water run-off from the trunk lid got into the sparewheel well area and shorted everything out. In my opinion - what a stupid place to put these highly sensitive modules!! Now my iDrive / Audio / Nav and PDC has shut down. Car starts and drives normal, except the previously mentioned accessories that no longer work. What I would like to know from other forum members that have had this happen to them as well is what other damages (if any) resulted from a MPM meltdown. I've read some horror posts of similiar events that caused everything on the vehicle to short out, which meant that basically everything CCC / M-ASK / TV module / CD etc etc had to be replaced!! When this happened on my vehicle, the car was actually switched off at the time when the water got into the trunk area. Didn't think much of it at the time, because it was probably about the equivalent of 3 cups of water. It was only when I got back to the car the next morning when I got this strong electrical burn smell from the trunk area. The MPM probably shorted out during the course of the night. Luckilly the car did not caught on fire, cause it could have then burned down my house as well, as the car was parked in my garage. From what I could visually access, only the MPM unit burned out completely, and the wiring loom and 15 pin multi connector (first 3 inches closest to the MPM) melted. Also the fuses; 3 of them - Power Distribution module in trunk on the right side - if I recall correctly fuse # 52 - 10 Amp; fuse # 57 - 20 Amp and fuse # 60 - 7,5 Amp, were all blown. I just hope that by blowing these fuses, it knocked the MPM out before it could cause any more damage to the car's other electronics. If anyone else on this board had a similiar experience, I would be glad to hear from you, and also the damages and cost that you suffered to have this fixed. My car is unfortunately no longer under warrantee. The car has already been taken into my local dealership to access the damage and to give me a quote to repair, but they did inform me that it is going to be a costly affair. They also said that I won't be able to claim from my insurance company, as I was to blame for not drying up the water spill in time.

I find it very interesting that BMW AG decided to move these modules from the trunk area to the body gateway module which is a much safer environment, on all of these cars manufactured after 09/2005. Makes you think that they realized that there was a defect with the vehicle in placing them there in the first place. :thumbsdown:
Old 08-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hummm I'm going to put mine in a zip lock bag now... at least help prevent some water damage...
Old 02-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Titanium Gray/Black Leather 545i, 6SP Manual, Sport Package, Anthracite Maple Wood, Satellite Preparation. H&R coilover suspension, Radenergie 20's

Originally Posted by nmsmith' post='457378' date='Aug 10 2007, 05:29 AM
I just read some other member's post about the micro power module in the trunk that was burnt out after a salt water spill. I had a similiar experience just yesterday when I opened my trunk. It was raining heavily, and when I opened the trunk on my 2004 545i, some of the water run-off from the trunk lid got into the sparewheel well area and shorted everything out. In my opinion - what a stupid place to put these highly sensitive modules!! Now my iDrive / Audio / Nav and PDC has shut down. Car starts and drives normal, except the previously mentioned accessories that no longer work. What I would like to know from other forum members that have had this happen to them as well is what other damages (if any) resulted from a MPM meltdown. I've read some horror posts of similiar events that caused everything on the vehicle to short out, which meant that basically everything CCC / M-ASK / TV module / CD etc etc had to be replaced!! When this happened on my vehicle, the car was actually switched off at the time when the water got into the trunk area. Didn't think much of it at the time, because it was probably about the equivalent of 3 cups of water. It was only when I got back to the car the next morning when I got this strong electrical burn smell from the trunk area. The MPM probably shorted out during the course of the night. Luckilly the car did not caught on fire, cause it could have then burned down my house as well, as the car was parked in my garage. From what I could visually access, only the MPM unit burned out completely, and the wiring loom and 15 pin multi connector (first 3 inches closest to the MPM) melted. Also the fuses; 3 of them - Power Distribution module in trunk on the right side - if I recall correctly fuse # 52 - 10 Amp; fuse # 57 - 20 Amp and fuse # 60 - 7,5 Amp, were all blown. I just hope that by blowing these fuses, it knocked the MPM out before it could cause any more damage to the car's other electronics. If anyone else on this board had a similiar experience, I would be glad to hear from you, and also the damages and cost that you suffered to have this fixed. My car is unfortunately no longer under warrantee. The car has already been taken into my local dealership to access the damage and to give me a quote to repair, but they did inform me that it is going to be a costly affair. They also said that I won't be able to claim from my insurance company, as I was to blame for not drying up the water spill in time.

I find it very interesting that BMW AG decided to move these modules from the trunk area to the body gateway module which is a much safer environment, on all of these cars manufactured after 09/2005. Makes you think that they realized that there was a defect with the vehicle in placing them there in the first place. :thumbsdown:
This just happened to me. How much did it cost to repair it. Can you tell me how much for cost for parts and cost for labor if you still remember. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Saloon / Carbon Black / E-maps re-map / 20" Vortex R alloys - carbon black / Pro-Nav / Vis pack / heated leather / enough for now /

I'm interested, but not following exactly what bits you guys are referring to - any chance of some pictures?
This sounds like a serious design defect to me - I'd get your local BMW distributior to repair FOC., and if they refuse to sue for the cost of replacement parts + labor.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Members

This happen to me. Good thing that it was under warranty. When the dealer replaced the MPM, they did not put it back under the spare tire. They put it in the back panel of the trunk so no worries about it getting wet. Just got to get the smoke smell out. My MPM burned completely out.
Attached Thumbnails Another micro power module (MPM) blown!-mpm.jpg  
Old 03-23-2008, 08:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by jersey-kid' post='549468' date='Mar 23 2008, 08:40 AM
This happen to me. Good thing that it was under warranty. When the dealer replaced the MPM, they did not put it back under the spare tire. They put it in the back panel of the trunk so no worries about it getting wet. Just got to get the smoke smell out. My MPM burned completely out.

Lucky you! BMWUSA was kind enough to replace yours. They gavve me BS about it being my fault. Instead of forking over 1100 to Center BMW, I gave em 152 for the part and put the damed thing in myself. I guess they are selective in who gets warranty coverage for this. PS - drove it to Vegas without a hitch. Getting ready for the drive home.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Members

i think someone should try it out. Line the top of hte spare wheel area with vapour barier and add some insulation to it... so even if water goes in it would be deterred by the vapour barier and insulation.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Lucky you! BMWUSA was kind enough to replace yours. They gavve me BS about it being my fault. Instead of forking over 1100 to Center BMW, I gave em 152 for the part and put the damed thing in myself. I guess they are selective in who gets warranty coverage for this. PS - drove it to Vegas without a hitch. Getting ready for the drive home.

did you have any other problems?
i have a dealer that I think is giving me the run around programming this part.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by porksoda
i think someone should try it out. Line the top of hte spare wheel area with vapour barier and add some insulation to it... so even if water goes in it would be deterred by the vapour barier and insulation.
it's much easier to just move the MPM to the pass. side wheel well. there's plenty of cable on the harness to do it. I did it a year ago.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:01 AM
Senior Members

Mine failed about a year ago. Part is £100 fitting is 5 min job. No need to re-code, dealer will charge you a fortune to re-code :thumbsdown:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another micro power module (MPM) blown!