E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Annoyed at wheel shake until tires warm up any ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it's cold and the car sits overnight the car shakes in my butt and steering when I drive for the first 20 min or so or it's over 50 degrees it not there as much, I have had all the wheels rebalanced 3 times at 3 different shops with same results, new rims I think the tires might be defective or is this normal, the shake sometimes and sometimes the car is smooth, it's very annoying and I would think hard on the suspension. It did the same thing with the old wheels so I am thinking tires, if I max air pressure out it seems to smooth it out a lot but the ride gets harsh and I don't think it's safe, anyone else have issues like this or suggestions
Old 12-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by ericdiver' post='1078338' date='Dec 22 2009, 06:45 PM
When it's cold and the car sits overnight the car shakes in my butt and steering when I drive for the first 20 min or so or it's over 50 degrees it not there as much, I have had all the wheels rebalanced 3 times at 3 different shops with same results, new rims I think the tires might be defective or is this normal, the shake sometimes and sometimes the car is smooth, it's very annoying and I would think hard on the suspension. It did the same thing with the old wheels so I am thinking tires, if I max air pressure out it seems to smooth it out a lot but the ride gets harsh and I don't think it's safe, anyone else have issues like this or suggestions
I had a similar experience (not a BMW) but not as bad as yours,it was the prop shaft centre bearing.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by ericdiver' post='1078338' date='Dec 22 2009, 08:45 PM
Yes, you're right, it's definitely your tires. Sometimes some tires have a tendency to create "flat spots" when the car stands still. After few kms/miles it gets round again and shaking disappears. During cold weather flat spotting can be more apparent too. What tires you are on? I suggest you change them if you feel this phenomenom too annoying.

- Antti -
Old 12-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Performance summer tires can turn very hard during winter. Run-flat even more so. Add plus-size wheels, wider treads. less sidewall, sports suspension and it can all add up to more vibration (when tires are cold).

My W-rated non-runflat summer tires are aired to 32 psi front / 39 psi rear. My Bizzaks run at 34 psi at all coners
Old 12-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='1078353' date='Dec 22 2009, 03:07 PM
Yes, you're right, it's definitely your tires. Sometimes some tires have a tendency to create "flat spots" when the car stands still. After few kms/miles it gets round again and shaking disappears. During cold weather flat spotting can be more apparent too. What tires you are on? I suggest you change them if you feel this phenomenom too annoying.

- Antti -
They are made by michelin, riken raptor I had another brand on my e39 that did the same thing... does more air in the tire help with flat spot 45psi vs 35
Old 12-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Members

Also does this mean balancing them now I will have re balance them in the summer?? Also every freakkin time time they rebalance them they say they where off by a ounce, is that enough to cause a shake??? And why every time u rebalance a tire u get new results
Old 12-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by ericdiver' post='1078391' date='Dec 22 2009, 01:55 PM
Also does this mean balancing them now I will have re balance them in the summer?? Also every freakkin time time they rebalance them they say they where off by a ounce, is that enough to cause a shake??? And why every time u rebalance a tire u get new results
An ounce definitely will cause an imbalance. One of my wheels only has one 1/4 ounce weight. You shouldn't have to rebalance them in the summer.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 BMW 545iA ZSP, ZCW, HUD, Silvergrau

My Mazda5 commuter does the same thing in the winter even when the tires are set to the proper PSI. I always add about 5-6 PSI to that recommended setting and the cold flatspotting is gone.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 MINI Cooper S - lightly modified - 2006 BMW 525i
Model Year: 0000

I think it's called a flat spot. I have that issue generally with Pirelli tires. Overnight, the rubbers get hard in cooler temperatures and they flatspot on the bottom where the tires contact the road surface. Driving around will warm up the tires and once warmed up, the rubber become compliant and the tires are very quiet.

Currently, our summer tires are Continentals and they don't seem to have that issue. It is likely Continental uses a softer rubber compound in their tires. Snowtires stay quiet even when cold as the rubbers are made to stay compliant even while sitting in cold weather.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Contributors

Flat-spotted tires are a logical place to look. Can't do much about that though except drive it out. Another more common area is after driving on snowy roads and parking for the night .. and some may melt onto the wheel and freeze overnight. After driving the ice may fly off or brake heat melts it.

Quick Reply: Annoyed at wheel shake until tires warm up any ideas