E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

is the amplifier blown? muffled sound

Old 04-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 08 528i
Model Year: 2008
Default is the amplifier blown? muffled sound

I'm in the process of installing a JBL MS8 in my '08 528i with hifi. to make the installation easier I picked up the hifi pnp cables from technic, I wired everything as supposed to, the battery was unplugged all this time, after all was wired, connected the battery and started the radio but no sound ?? I messed around with it verifying all connections, no sound still, the good thing about the pnp wiring is that you can remove it and plug the OEM plug back into the radio and the amp (essentially removing everything aftermarket) and now my radio is muffled, very deep base and can't make out any voices, any ideas on what could be wrong? Since I'm getting some sound, does it mean that the OEM amplifier is blown or?

Here is the original thread of the jbl ms-8 install https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...8-hifi-137809/

Last edited by justoracle; 04-26-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:28 AM
Members

some more info, the first time I turned on the radio including the ms-8 all I could hear was the center channel very faintly with the volume cranked up, after checking connections and turning radio on and off, I got a faint smell of solder, no smoke or anything like that, I pulled out the HU to check the wires, nothing looked out of place, the relay from the pnp harness was warm to the touch. After going back to OEM only, all I can hear is deep base.

Could the head unit have been damaged and that's why I'm not getting a good clear sound? I checked the fuses based on the diagram in the trunk's tool kit but it does't really pinpoint which fuse is the amplifier. Any suggestions?
Old 04-28-2014, 08:21 AM
Members

found this bit of into from technic on another thread

"The iDrive unit -not the HiFi OEM amp (which powers only the underseat woofers)- powers the front speakers."

Since I'm getting sound from the underseat woofers than the OEM amp should be fine, I noticed there's a fuse on the back of the HU maybe that's blown? everything in the CCC appears to be working though, just the sound is what's affected ??

Here's a pic I found on another thread of the back of HU
Attached Thumbnails is the amplifier blown? muffled sound-ccc.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Members

Still trying to figure out what's going on with my car.

These are other things I tried
1. Checked the fuse behind the Head Unit and it looked fine
2. Over the last few days I charged the battery to make sure it read the correct voltage, after charging it read 12.8 (car cables disconnected) Connected the pos and neg cables, after starting the car and stopping, checked again, it read close to 12.54 or something to that effect. Car battery seems OK.
3. Tried both key fobs same result with the sound.
4. disconnected the amplifier, try using the radio, no sound at all.
5. Rebooted the CCC several times by holding the nav and cd eject button and the mute/volume button, same result after rebooting.
6. The only sound I get is from under the seat woofers, there is no sound coming out of the door speaker, tweeters or rear speakers.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-28-2014, 08:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

could you have shorted something with the initial wiring? sorry cant be much help, but start back tracking what you did perhaps?

and the amp only powers the subs?
head unit powers speakers?
Old 04-29-2014, 08:53 AM
Members

Yeah, i may have shorted something out, the woofer cables that connect to the OEM amp pnp wiring loom and to the JBL MS-8 were covered with a white shrink wrap and they wouldn't fit in the plug, I took a razor blade to shave off some of the material so it would fit in the socket, maybe they "arcked" when first got power. Not sure if this was enough to short the Head Unit. Or some other cable along the way was cut and shorted ??

Another possible cause is since I disconnected the battery to do all this work, the Head Unit just went haywired and lost sound (except for the subwoofers?). The battery was disconnected for about 2 weeks before I could do the first test. I hope this is the case, I just watched a video on youtube on someone that was able to fix a "no sound" by inserting key, pressing the start/stop (not starting car) remove the radio fuses by the glove box for the radio, turned on lights then removed the ground cable from the battery. Let it sit, connect the ground cable, insert key, press start/stop then put in fuses. He first got the subwoofer only, then went for a drive and was able to get full audio afterward. Here's the video

Attached Thumbnails is the amplifier blown? muffled sound-dscn3946.jpg   is the amplifier blown? muffled sound-dscn3948.jpg   is the amplifier blown? muffled sound-dscn3949.jpg  
Old 04-30-2014, 07:16 AM
Members

I did as the video suggested but it did not fix the problem. Only audio is from the underseat woofers.

Called a local indy shop to see if they could service my car and after I told them my story they were hesitant to take it in, they're more of a mechanic shop and not an audio shop. They suggested I disconnect the battery and touch the positive and negative cables and leave them for about an hour, this supposevely resets settings in the car. After about an hour connected everything back, same outcome as before, just muffled sound out of the subwoofers.

There's a local guy that does coding on these cars, I plan to make an appointment to see if he can check the CCC unit, maybe it's a coding issue.

If none of that works, does anyone know a place I can send my CCC for repair. Found an website but it's in the UK!
Old 08-30-2014, 02:07 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i

have you had any luck correcting the problem? I have read hundreds of post on bmw's with the same problem and I like you have tried all the ones you mentioned with the same results only I have had no sound at all for a year and my mute symbol stays on?
I am working on doing a MOST reset next, I truly believe something has gotten locked up and needs to be reset or disconnecting the battery has caused a loss of some of the programming? all the post I've read either the battery was disconnected or they had washed the car or something involving water.

Please post what you found, I have only read the replacement of the Logic 7 amp as a cure but I think a lot of these unknowledgeable service guys at the dealers ect... just replace the module for thousands of dollars.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:52 AM
Members

I ended up buying a used CCC and had it coded to my car, the voice commands don't work apparently the guy that coded my car didn't have the FSC codes ?? but now I have audio so back to normal I gave up on the MS8 install.