E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

all wheel drive

Old 10-05-2015, 08:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005
Default all wheel drive

I been convinced that rear wheel drive is strictly for better performance and handling for most sport cars. but some my friends swear that all wheel drive beats rear wheel in every aspect. did some research and come with efferent results. a also see that some sport car manufactures like Lamborghini do all wheel drives now. why BMW's M devising not producing AW M cars? good to hear your thoughts.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

What were some of your findings that conflicted?
Old 10-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JayArras
What were some of your findings that conflicted?
Actually there is not to much information about the topic. Something like this.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...8105312AAbO1S4
But still not clear answer. I need to prove my friend that RWD is way to go when it comes to race and performance or I will loose the bet.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:29 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530d

Its not a clean cut answer. the short answer is the pinnacle of motorsport on track (F1) or circles (nascar) or in a straight line (top fuel etc) are all RWD

however in the real world where roads are not always perfect (rallying!?) AWD absolutely dominates. In the real world when the roads are a bit wet and greasy your not catching that subaru or audi out a slow corner any time soon. but you bet you will be having lots more fun
Old 10-06-2015, 06:28 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

the AWD version of any car will be slightly slower due to the added weight + the momentum loss going to BOTH axels. Also if you look at most cars the AWD version sits up a tad bit higher than the regular RWD version (BMW actually does a pretty good job at keeping both version almost identical) But a higher car means a higher center of gravity so that may or may not cancel out your handling depending on the situation and roads.

I've been driving for a long time, and I don't drag race, take crazy turns at hight speed or face a whole lot of snow so I would ALWAYS choose the RWD. (and more fun) version.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JDeezyNYC
the AWD version of any car will be slightly slower due to the added weight + the momentum loss going to BOTH axels. Also if you look at most cars the AWD version sits up a tad bit higher than the regular RWD version (BMW actually does a pretty good job at keeping both version almost identical) But a higher car means a higher center of gravity so that may or may not cancel out your handling depending on the situation and roads.

I've been driving for a long time, and I don't drag race, take crazy turns at hight speed or face a whole lot of snow so I would ALWAYS choose the RWD. (and more fun) version.
I agree with you That is what I think also
Old 10-07-2015, 07:14 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Engine: N62

[
But still not clear answer. I need to prove my friend that RWD is way to go when it comes to race and performance or I will loose the bet.[/QUOTE]

How can you lose the bet if it can't be proven either way?

One cannot use racing (including rallying) as a basis of comparison, since the conditions, drivers and cars are very different than the street versions.

Even FWD is faster than RWD in some conditions - before AWD was permitted in rallies, FWD outperformed RWD, but street car FWD didn't outperform RWD in normal driving conditions and drivers.

Salut, Bob P.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:16 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 BMW 528XI, 1954 Oldsmobile Super 88 324cui
Model Year: 2010

There's no definitive answer here.

- AWD is great for "all weather" type of conditions with great 60foot times and even 1/8th mile times, it's also good for autocross. However the down side is eventually as you go faster the rear wheels are pushing but with as much force as the majority of the work is being done at this point by the front wheels. Vehicle being pulled at a higher rate of speed than being pushed, this is by design it creates a more stable vehicle. AWD is a 60% of power to the front and 40% of the power to the rear ratio vs 4x4 is 50%/50%.

- RWD is great for southern states and better 1/4 mile times. Without the excess weight of a transfer case and the axles in the front, it helps the vehicle PLANT (see wheelies done by RWD on the strip) when launched at the drag strip. However a RWD car will struggle (depending on the design/intent of the suspension system) going around corners at a high rate of speed (unless you have GOBS of money and buy a Ferrari which again are engineered for race days). Even in the hands of a competent driver a RWD vehicle will struggle going around the corners due to over steer (see tail happy) as the weight transfer again is to the rear wheels (youtube mustang wrecks and you'll see first hand what I'm talking about).

Summing it up, an AWD system is better for a more 'balanced' feel, more control over the vehicle when driving/maneuvering is key for autocross.

RWD is better for a real old school drivers performance type of feel. There's no "Better" or "Worse" of the two it's a preference based on what your driving conditions are.

I've driven a 500+hp RWD car, and a 400+hp AWD car, both are stable at high speed, and acceleration. The RWD vehicle tended to slip if you were to 'ambitious' with the throttle where the AWD was more forgiving. Which car was faster? RWD ran the 1/4 in 12 flat, the AWD ran it in 12.5 with a 1.41 60 foot time vs the RWD had a 1.81 60 foot time.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:14 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

+1 Agree.. there is no way to prove right vs wrong. In terms of the most diverse and CHANGING conditions, AWD will win.. which is why I have AWD on all my cars. If I lived in Texas or CA I would certainly be driving a RWD car for the "fun" factor. This is mostly because it's hot and sunny and I wouldn't necessarily have to deal with any snow or ice. In terms of all other racing I've personally done.. my PREFERENCE is awd car.. my style it's easier to manage and harder to get into trouble, not that it's non-existent. There is certainly no good way to win this argument.