E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident and front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 12:08 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i base model
Model Year: 2006
Default Accident and front bumper

I had rear ended an suv that cut in front of me and stopped, I'm hoping the insurance allow me to request the m sport bumper and LCI headlight but I don't think they'll go for that.
Any suggestions?

Thanks....
Attached Thumbnails Accident and front bumper-20150214_134642.jpg  
Old 02-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

I once had an accident that was ruled my fault when someone cut in front of me. I simply got an estimate with the replacement bumper that I wanted (MTech) and my insurance company picked up the tab. You might get scrutinized more if the other party's insurance was paying for it, but your company shouldn't give you a problem. They'll just jack up your rates anyway, lol!
Old 02-15-2015, 01:38 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by jayarras
I once had an accident that was ruled my fault when someone cut in front of me. I simply got an estimate with the replacement bumper that I wanted (MTech) and my insurance company picked up the tab. You might get scrutinized more if the other party's insurance was paying for it, but your company shouldn't give you a problem. They'll just jack up your rates anyway, lol!
You must have been dealing with someone that was in a really good mood. Most insurance companies will only pay to replace damaged parts with replacement parts that are identical to what you had, unless there is a cost savings involved with replacing your damaged part with something you found that is cheaper.

OP, my biggest concern for you is whether or not there is any structural damage to your E60. If there is, and it doesnt take much on an E60, your car is done for.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:13 PM
New Members

They won't let me get the Mtech bumper,they'll replace with what there now.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport

Dang, that sucks. At least your e60 will be put back together.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dakest
They won't let me get the Mtech bumper,they'll replace with what there now.
Not even if you agree to pay the difference? Seems to me the way this works is, you agree on the repair cost and they cut you a check. They may even insist that the check be made out to the body shop. That's okay. You order what you want, and the body shop installs and paints. Many will work with you and eat all or part of the cost difference to earn your loyalty and referrals (if they didn't pad their estimate ). If not, suck it up and pay the difference. No one should EVER let an insurance company dictate how your car should look. They're already ruining the health care system, don't let them ruin your ride.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by jayarras
Not even if you agree to pay the difference? Seems to me the way this works is, you agree on the repair cost and they cut you a check. They may even insist that the check be made out to the body shop. That's okay. You order what you want, and the body shop installs and paints. Many will work with you and eat all or part of the cost difference to earn your loyalty and referrals (if they didn't pad their estimate ). If not, suck it up and pay the difference. No one should EVER let an insurance company dictate how your car should look. They're already ruining the health care system, don't let them ruin your ride.
If you agree to pay the difference, they shouldn't care what you do with the car.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:55 AM
New Members

I'm going to try to get a check and then do my own ordering and installing then take it to get painted.
It just doesn't make sense to get a new bumper and then replace it with the MTech and paint again.
I'll keep you all posted on the progress.
Thanks.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a plan. Good luck!
Old 02-18-2015, 02:00 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

dakest - I'm not sure about the laws in FL, but in CA you can take it to whatever shop you like.

So if you can? go find a high end bodyshop and talk to them, tell them what you want and they should be able to work out the amount with the insurance. Once the amount is settled, the bodyshop should be able to order you whatever parts you want.

Don't let the insurance company dictate on which shop you can or can not go too. ( if FL laws are the same as CA)

Quick Reply: Accident and front bumper