E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AC fan stays on with key taken out and car turned off

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i / Black Sapphire Metallic / 6spd. manual / Sports package

Guys....My AC fan stays on and keeps blowing even with the key taken out and the car off. It does not stop at all...When I turn on the car and switch the AC 'on', it seems that the air blows stronger and it turns cold. But when it's switched to 'off', the air keeps blowing (not as hard) and the air is not cold. It seems that the air is coming from the foot and windshield area. I've talked to my mechanic and he doesn't know what it could be at this point and my local BMW dealer tells me that they don't have an opening until next Monday. I'm afraid my car's battery will die until then unless I disconnect it (which I don't if that is the best idea).

Have any of you guys encountered this problem or have any ideas to a solution?
Old 07-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by superhung' post='449302' date='Jul 18 2007, 10:30 AM
Have any of you guys encountered this problem or have any ideas to a solution?
Haven't encountered this myself, but the only thing that comes to mind is the Automatic Ventilation feature. I am not near my owner's manual or I could give a better reference. It may be under the Climate section of iDrive. Poke around and see if this is set to come on.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Black Sapphire, SMG, M-Aerokit, Sports Package, Comfort Access, Logic 7,

Mine does the same thing too, but it will turn off by itself after a few minutes. Not sure why it does that.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i

That happened on my '06 about a year ago...I was scared that the battery would run out that I immediatly drove to my BMW center. They then pulled my fuse for the final stage thing (sorry im not sure what its exactly called), to make it stop for the time being. They then reprogramed my computer (with an upgraded software version). The problem hasn't returned since...but she told me when I went to pick up my car that the car has a feature that shuts off everything when the car senses the battery is in danger of dying.

-Good Luck
Old 07-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i / Black Sapphire Metallic / 6spd. manual / Sports package

Thanks for all the help fellas.

I went back to the car about 20min. after I turned it off and the fan was off. Started it up again and all was fine. Like e60lover mentioned above, I thought the battery was going to die and called my local BMW dealer to quickly setup an appointment with my SA. I guess all is good now for the time being...I dread going to the dealer to get stuff done.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Members

Go to the I-Drive Climate, and turn off the Automatic ventilation. I think you have it on, so that you are facing such problem. And by the way, AFAIK, you have to set this off, while the engine is not running and the fob in place.

Omran
Old 07-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i

Originally Posted by omran' post='449599' date='Jul 18 2007, 11:01 PM
Go to the I-Drive Climate, and turn off the Automatic ventilation. I think you have it on, so that you are facing such problem. And by the way, AFAIK, you have to set this off, while the engine is not running and the fob in place.

Omran

No it isn't Auto Ventilation...The Key is out and the fan is blowing very hard...(at least I know it wasnt Auto Vent for me).
Old 07-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e60lover' post='449607' date='Jul 18 2007, 11:17 PM
No it isn't Auto Ventilation...The Key is out and the fan is blowing very hard...(at least I know it wasnt Auto Vent for me).
Yeah, it's not Auto Vent...I've had my E60 long enough that I would've figured that out at least
Old 06-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Make: BMW Model: 525i Exterior Color: Alpine White Interior Color: Beige Leather Trans: Steptronic Options Include: 205 Automatic Trans - Steptronic 6 spd 423 BMW Floor Mats ZPP Premium Package ZSP Sport Package

this problem just happen to me right now, thank god for e60.net, cuz I was getting scared and the first thing I did was come here for the solutions all I have to do now is wait
Old 06-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jochy69' post='598536' date='Jun 8 2008, 06:42 PM
this problem just happen to me right now, thank god for e60.net, cuz I was getting scared and the first thing I did was come here for the solutions all I have to do now is wait
The same thing is happening to me. I have owned my 2007 530xi for almost 2 months now and it happened the second time this morning. The first time I noticed it was when I realized that the a/c didn't calm down after running for a while on a hot day. The air continued to blow out of the floor registers only when the car was off and the key removed. I contacted BMW assist...was put in touch with a local dealer....who thought it was the blower resistor. He also told me that there wasn't a fuse for the fan only, and that I would have to disconnect the battery to make it stop. I was worried about a dead battery (I was in the South Bronx at the time) so I disconnected the battery. A little while later, I reconnected the battery and the fan remained off. I made an appt with my dealer the following week. They checked it out but since no codes were stored and the problem wasn't occuring they couldn't diagnose it. The receipt did indicate that they replaced the blower resistor however. They also indicated that there isn't a dedicated fuse for the fan.

This morning I was moving the car out of the garage and noticed that the fan sounded "funny". I immediately knew what was happening. Sure enough, I removed the key and the fan kept running! I let it run for a few minutes, hoping that it would shut off on its own, but I became impatient and went to the fuse diagram. I found a fuse with the fan symbol (40amp - #3 in the glovebox), so I pulled it and the fan shut off. I put it back in about a half hour later and it remained off. I don't know why 2 different dealers told me there wasn't a dedicated fuse. Mayber other components are on the same circuit? At least I know an easy way to stop it if/when it happens again.

In a way I am glad others have had this problem since the dealer didn't indicate that this was a "normal" problem. I think I saw him write in my chart that I am "difficult". (nod to Seinfeld).

Quick Reply: AC fan stays on with key taken out and car turned off