E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

550i M-sport - wandering and getting loose

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 12:42 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2008
Default 550i M-sport - wandering and getting loose

I'm writing this while being VERY angry with my local shop. I've spent nearly $1000 on "diagnostic"and guessing fees tracking down a shake and now a serious lane wandering problem with the car.

Every sign points to a bushing failing or has failed. The symptoms got much worse while making a 1800 mile round trip in the car. It just feels like it's windy outside and going full throttle from 50-80 makes the car get very loose.

I took it back to the shop which is a very well known, 25+ years of experience, BMW specialty shop and asked them to please fix this. I dont like wasting money and I'm not making the symptoms up. They agreed to just go ahead and replace the front arms with bushings "even though it wouldnt likely fix my problems". I dropped it off this morning, just called and asked for an update. "We didnt do anything to the car. There isnt anything wrong with it to repair."

Ive had the car aligned twice. I have had wheels trued by a wheel shop. I've had the car inspected, and paid for it, at least 5 times now. The dealership said the front bushings were "leaking" but I declined the service so my shop could take care of it as the hours vary and price is significantly higher at the dealership using "BMW time" opposed to "All-data" or whatever it's called. My shop says "they arent bad". The dealership even recommended not doing the bushings at this time.

I have a warranty and have no free time to do this myself. I am fuming right now. This car is all over the road and I refuse to drive it like this. It's awful and i look like a drunk driver.

I've added air pressure as well, lowered it, etc.. nothing helps.

Below is the last alignment that was done... this is making me sick to my stomach.
Attached Thumbnails 550i M-sport - wandering and getting loose-alignment.jpg  
Old 05-19-2015, 12:54 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N62

Hummm I have a 07 550i and i kinda have the same thing going on. My indy says I need a rack and pinion. I think I need bushings bc when I hit a Crack or bump my car seems to shift it's position on the road
Old 05-19-2015, 02:01 PM
New Members

Well.. I just went and talked to them and we went over a lot of things trying to talk about diagnosing it. It seems my last alignment (second one in a week), specifically the toe, is no where near BMW spec even though it is obviously green and within Hunter's specs.

"Alignment Numbers:

Left Front & Right Front:
Camber: Specified -1.3 Degrees/Range -0.7 Degrees
Caster: Nothing for Specified or Range
Toe: Specified -0.05/Range 0.12 Degrees
SAI: Specified 14.0 Degrees/Range 15.0 Degrees
Included Angle: Specified 12.6 Degrees/Range 14.3 Degrees
Turning Angle Diff.: Specified -2.33 Degrees/Range -1.33 Degrees"

Left & Right Rear: Camber: Specified -2.0 Degrees/Range -1.3 Degrees
Toe: Specified 0.03 Degrees/Range 0.20 Degrees

Seperate Section titled "Front":
Cross Camber: Specified -0.5 Degrees/Range 0.5 Degrees
Cross Caster: Specified -0.5 Degrees/Range 0.5 Degrees
Cross SAI Nothing for Specified or Range Degrees
Total Toe: Specified -0.10 Degrees/Range 0.23 Degrees
Cross Turn Diff.: Specified -0.50/Range 0.50 Degrees

Seperate Section titled "Rear":
Cross Camber: Specified -0.5 Degrees/Range 0.5 Degrees
Total Toe: Specified 0.07 Degrees/Range 0.40 Degrees
Trust Angle: Specified -0.20 Degrees/Range 0.20 Degrees"

They said that they checked every single bushing and connection point. They even dropped the rear subframe caps to inspect the sheet metal to see if I had a freak fatigue instance (for the e60). At this point, if the third alignment doesnt correct this, I'll just either trade it in or replace the arms myself.

Last edited by BrandonSS; 05-19-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:32 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

On E60, proper alignment requires sandbags to be placed on 4 seats (to simulate passengers sitting in the car). Was that done when the alignment was done?
Old 05-19-2015, 07:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

have you checked your tire pressures lately? low tires can cause driveability issues.
the main thing i'd check is the big rubber bushings in the front control arms. you need to use a prybar to try and wiggle and see if they are loose.
does your car have active roll bar system? if its not working, the car will definetly feel sqwirly.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:03 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
have you checked your tire pressures lately? low tires can cause driveability issues.
the main thing i'd check is the big rubber bushings in the front control arms. you need to use a prybar to try and wiggle and see if they are loose.
does your car have active roll bar system? if its not working, the car will definetly feel sqwirly.
Yes. I played with the tire pressures both front and rear and nothing affected it. All bushing
have been inspected over and over again by the dealership, indy shop (multiple times), and even the alignment shop.

I think we have it pinned to being the alignment. My indy shop noticed the specs are nowhere near what is recommended by BMW, even though, as you can see, they are GREEN according to the Hunter alignment machine's specs. I'll report back tomorrow when I get it back.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

OP,

Curious, have you checke dout your shocks/struts? Also what PSI are you running front and rear. Are you on a staggered setup?
Old 05-21-2015, 04:33 AM
New Members

I have. It's been rigorously inspected by the dealership, the best BMW indy shop in Indiana multiple times, and even the best tire shop downtown here in Indianapolis. It's a M sport so yes, it is running staggered oem 19" wheels and tires. The air pressure combos have been changed from 36f/38r to 36f&r to 38/40 to 38 all around to 38/40. This all started when I had tried tracking down a slight vibration which included me buying new rear Conti tires, truing up the wheels to be 100% perfect, road force balancing them (twice), inspecting all bushings and contact points, and finally getting it aligned (twice due to the wheel not being perfectly centered, I made them redo it). Afterwards this developed. We tested the dynamic drive, recalibrated the system and steering angle sensor and discovered that [luckily] my 550 was not optioned with active steering. This is verified according to the VIN and BMW.

Everyone involved is fairly confident that it is the alignment affecting the car since it was zeroed out, which is in spec according to the hunter machine's specs, opposed to matching the recommended specs from BMW.

It was just frustrating, initially, that the shop didnt do as they said they would. But, they are just trying to save me money since I've been paying to track this down. Hopefully, this is coming to a close this afternoon when I pick it up with the BMW spec alignment.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:31 AM
New Members

Update.

It still feels odd. The car was again, aligned 100% to BMW spec, tires were again road force balanced.

Another symptom I forgot to mention is the traction control kicks in when taking sweeping left bends on the interstate at 65-70. It's typically on the 55mph bends but nothing that the mini vans in front of me cant handle. I say left because its happened a few times only on left bends. Not sure that it's ever happened on a right bender.

Does anyone have any idea what could be doing this?
Old 05-28-2015, 08:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

Brandon,

Did the car actually lose traction? Did the car lean severley? I only ask becuase if the weight did transfer and lift the inside wheel then traction / stablity control would kick in. But why the excessive lean? Do you have ARS? Did anyone check sway bars, suspension. Front upper and lower control arms? I know yous aid dealer said they were up to spec, but honestly what else could be causing this. Tires? Steering rack?

Quick Reply: 550i M-sport - wandering and getting loose