E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

545i oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Silver,Gray, Metallic. Blk Dakota leather. Nav. Heads up disply. PDC. Pro logic 7 sound. 35% tint. Mods. MTECH body kit. OEM trunk finisher and M5 spoiler.OEM 166 wheels. Blk and wht CF Roundels. Orion V2 AEs. LCI taillights with Ricky effect. LED interior lights. LED license plate light. HID fogs. Smoked LED side markers. White cluster mod. Coding. RPI scoop & BMC filter. Gloss black OEM grills.CF interior trim. B&B exhaust.

Okay, I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

I took my 04 545 to the local Stealership for the famous "brake vacuum pump recall."
They performed the service and called me to tell me the vacuum pump was leaking oil.
I thought that was part of the recall and tried to get hem to handle it.
They said it would be $790. I declined.

I had read treads about this and heard it was an easy DIY just replacing the O ring.
I order the $10 part and took it to my indy guy and asked him to do it.
He charged me $60 labor and I thought I was done.

Well, it was still leaking. I had read here that you should do the oil pressure switch at the same time
so I figured, dumb ass me, I should have done it.
Back I went and told him the story and he looked with his mirror and sure enough there was oil on the switch.
We replaced the switch for $50 and done, right.

A few days later I see more oil in the same area.
I go back down there thinking one of the repairs just wasn't right and he inspects
and says it a valve cover gasket. $600. Ok, gotta do it.

Three days later he calls me and says it's still leaking and it's now coming from the timing cover.
WTF??? He wants another $200 and I'm wondering what next??

Crazy shit, huh?

What do you guys think?
Old 12-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i: Silver Grey Metallic | Sports Package | | Cold Weather Package | Navigation | Tinted Windows | Adaptive Headlights | Heated rear seats| 166 rims| Matte black kidney grills| Interior: Angel Eyes, LED license plate bulbs, HID fogs, Interior LED

I would get a second opinion.... sounds like hes trying to nickel and dime you, basically he doesn't know what it is and he's just changing things to see if it corrects the problem
Old 12-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

It happens oil gets flung everywhere when it drops onto the belts. You could have had leaks from all those spots. Plus I don't think there is a replacement o ring currently for the leaking portion of the vacuum pump. There is also another spot behind the alternator as well that leaks.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Silver,Gray, Metallic. Blk Dakota leather. Nav. Heads up disply. PDC. Pro logic 7 sound. 35% tint. Mods. MTECH body kit. OEM trunk finisher and M5 spoiler.OEM 166 wheels. Blk and wht CF Roundels. Orion V2 AEs. LCI taillights with Ricky effect. LED interior lights. LED license plate light. HID fogs. Smoked LED side markers. White cluster mod. Coding. RPI scoop & BMC filter. Gloss black OEM grills.CF interior trim. B&B exhaust.

Originally Posted by healthservices
It happens oil gets flung everywhere when it drops onto the belts. You could have had leaks from all those spots. Plus I don't think there is a replacement o ring currently for the leaking portion of the vacuum pump. There is also another spot behind the alternator as well that leaks.
There is a replacement O ring set. I actually found it on this thread.
https://5series.net/forums/topic/912...n/page__st__30.
I think it was you that posted it!

I hear what you're saying about oil getting flung everywhere but the leak (leaks?)were pretty minor.
Also after doing the vacuum pump O rings and the oil pressure switch we thoroughly cleaned the area with degreaser
so we could see where any new leaks were coming from.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 BMW 530I

Make sure they check the oil stand gasket also. It is under the and behind the alternator. That could very well be the issue.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan
Make sure they check the oil stand gasket also. It is under the and behind the alternator. That could very well be the issue.
Isn't that on the left side? (drivers side)
All of my leaking is coming from the right side.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 BMW 530I

Originally Posted by deansimpson
Isn't that on the left side? (drivers side)
All of my leaking is coming from the right side.
Yes it is on the driver side. I know I had a similar issue and I had everything on the right side and top and I still had a leaking issue. Then I took it to an indy shop and he found that the leaking oil was coming from the oil stand gasket. I haven't had a problem since. Let me check my files to see actually was done for all the leaks.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

remember if you still have a belly pan under the car, the oil will leak onto the pan first, run to the lowest corner before exiting, which could be at a totally different area from your oil leak.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
remember if you still have a belly pan under the car, the oil will leak onto the pan first, run to the lowest corner before exiting, which could be at a totally different area from your oil leak.
I do have the belly pan but like I said we have been keeping it clean and monitoring exactly where it's coming from.
Thanks for all of the input. I really appreciate it.

I just talked to the mechanic and it looks we we've got it all. Almost $1000 later.
Boy, that could've been some nice mods.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan
Yes it is on the driver side. I know I had a similar issue and I had everything on the right side and top and I still had a leaking issue. Then I took it to an indy shop and he found that the leaking oil was coming from the oil stand gasket. I haven't had a problem since. Let me check my files to see actually was done for all the leaks.
Thanks. I'd be curious to know what yours was.
It seems these cars all have the same common problems.

Quick Reply: 545i oil leak