E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i Flooded... worst day in my short BMW life...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much as this issue sucks, I'm glad I found this thread. Jaycal3, did your iDrive screen start flickering on and off by chance, before your dash started "lighting up like a christmas tree?" The reason I ask is because of this: https://5series.net/forums/topic/119...1#entry1405556

I've since written it up to a bad battery (haven't gotten it changed yet) and it's happened a couple more times since then. The latest was on Sunday night..pulling into my neighborhood it started flashing warning lights, and locked the transmission in the current gear until I restarted the car. Car lost pretty much all power so I shut it off, sat for a few minutes, and then started back up. What do you know, car ran just fine.

I'm trying to think back to the 3 or 4 times it's happened, and wondering if they were all on wet days. Sunday night was snowing, so the roads were rather sloppy. Cant' remember the other 3 days. I'm definitely going to have to check this out and see if it's the cause of my problems.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

I got no idrive flickering of any kind.... yours certainly sounds more like a battery issue than anything. It doesnt hurt to check the passenger floor for moisture - and its easy enough to remove the micro cabin filter housing to inspect the ebox on the passenger side. The drains are hard to get to but I would recommend to anyone with an "older" model to have them cleaned.

If your car has taken on any moisture, eventually it will start to smell musty - mold and mildew sets in quick if its not dried out well. Glad I had everything replaced!

Good luck with your issue!
Old 02-08-2016, 05:05 AM
New Members

My Ride: 525i Touring
Model Year: 2004
Default Blocked ebox drain

Hi,

I have been reading the threads on water ingress as I have damp carpets in the passenger [LHD car] foot well

It is a late 2004 E61Touring 525i.

Why is water directed through a box [ebox] containing electronics???
Where does the water come from?
When water gets into the car from this route does it come through the air vent or behind the carpet?

Until recently the car has lived in a garage, but now it has a harsh life outdoors. So have only just really noticed the water ingress.

It also has a panorama sunroof could it be those drains that are blocked?

Thanks for your replies

BB
Old 02-08-2016, 06:01 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 E60

Originally Posted by BlackBrian
Hi,

Where does the water come from?
When water gets into the car from this route does it come through the air vent or behind the carpet?

It also has a panorama sunroof could it be those drains that are blocked?

Thanks for your replies

BB
In my experience if the sunroof drains are blocked the water leads into the battery compartment in the trunk and typically ruins your IBS (expensive repair and you car won't start).

This is from the 1st post of the thread as to how your carpet may be damp...

"Evidently the drain holes below the e-box on the passenger side firewall were plugged/blocked and the water had nowhere to go. It filled the e-box and then backed into the passenger side of the interior of my 545"