E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i Flooded... worst day in my short BMW life...

Old 12-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Update: Met with the insurance adjuster. He praised the work that we had already done on the vehicle (removing the water, and the wet modules, and running a fan on the passenger compartment for 48 hrs) and credited me for 6 hrs worth of work already to be applied to my deductable. This brings me almost even in "out of pocket" expenses before the car even hits the shop.

Drying out the module on the passenger floor has allowed me to drive the car with only one error message for Active Steering. That module along with the subwoofer, rugs and padding will all be replaced so I shouldnt have to worry about a mold issue in the future. The car goes in Tuesday of next week and I will have a loaner. Anything else that is water damage related will be replaced and according to the insurance, if BMW says its related, its replaced... period. I just hope that the wiring harness for the car is ok - thats anywhere from $4,000-8,000 but extremely labor intensive. Not to mention the labor it will take to do all if the repairs and clear the drains.

Here is hoping for brighter days to come.
~J
Old 12-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Good Luck! Looks like she'll be as good as new soon.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2012 528xi
Model Year: 2012

Consider carefully that the real issue with water damaged cars are the issues that MAY show up years later - corroded terminals (wiring harness was submerged) cause weird intermittent problems that are really hard to correct.
Scott
Old 12-14-2010, 06:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by Scott2007
Consider carefully that the real issue with water damaged cars are the issues that MAY show up years later - corroded terminals (wiring harness was submerged) cause weird intermittent problems that are really hard to correct.
Scott
I agree completely... our high tech cars and water are natural enemies. Dropped it off at the dealer this am and got a 328xi loaner... tried to talk them into a new 550i - didnt work out for me this time . Either way, by tomorrow am I should have a good idea of how much damage they are assessing this at... insurance pretty much said if it got wet it gets replaced. We will see... oh, and my assessment of the 328xi - eh.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:57 AM
Contributors

let us know how it goes bro GL
Old 12-14-2010, 07:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i

I would be devastated
Hope it all works out tho..
Goodluck (Y)
Old 12-14-2010, 07:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with it all! Make sure they relocate all of the spare tire well components when they repair. Would completely suck. Hope you enjoy the 328xi - I just had one as a loaner and was fun even though it didn't have quite the kick of the 545...
Old 12-18-2010, 03:48 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 545i 6 Speed Silver Gray w/ Black leather M5 Sport package

Although I don't like admitting it I've flooded two cars, yes two - one in the ocean and one in a lake. Call me the U-Boat captain.

It may be too late since your last post but I recommend totaling the car, again if its not to late. Water damage and electronics are bad when together. The car will never fully recover, never. You may feel like it is fine, it may drive, for a while, like it is fine but trust me little electrical issues will start happening.

The only way to truly make sure everything works flawlessly is of course if you replace every single wire, fuse, etc. Of course I didn't actually see how bad your car was so maybe, just maybe it will be okay.

When I sunk my first car, which wasn't all the way underwater, I too thought the car could be repaired. Then my BMW buddies, who race, repair, etc. said, "you don't want to mess with this". You could be driving down the road a year from now and BOOM - the airbag deploys because the wiring has rusted/shorted, etc.

Oh, and replace the carpets 100%. Don't take a chance of the mildew smell starting up on moist days. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530, Manual tranny, silver gray metallic exterior, gray interior, poplar trim 1999 Ford Expedition 4.6L 1968 Ford Mustang 289 Auto

My story-flooded street in 2007. I watched a mid 00s Mustang go thru the intersection and thought I'd be okay. I got no water INSIDE the car but water got sucked up the air intake. $15K later and I had a new engine. I've put 56K on the engine and have had only a few problems since then-water pump went out about 4 months ago, control module went out 3 months ago and now I have periodic active steering outages (slow left turns only, occasionally)
Old 12-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

Just a quick update... I am going to pick up my car today!!! I am excited and cant wait to get her home. The cost of the repairs was just over $5k and included new carpets and padding, control module, clearing the storm drains, socket terminals, cable connectors, initializing ARS/AFT/Steering Angle Sensors, Adaptive Headlights, reprogramming and 22 hrs of labor. For me that equals a deductable only. And while it was in, the recall on the brakes was completed.

I know there may be long term effects as a result, but I have to hope for the best.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 545i Flooded... worst day in my short BMW life...