E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i Flooded... worst day in my short BMW life...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Hey guys - thanks for all the support. I have had some time to breath, and think and then my phone rang. My friend/BMW tech called to tell me some "ok" news. After drying and reinstalling the Active Steering module on the passenger floor and getting the car running I am showing a single error only - Active Steering. This is good because I think the damage was only limited to a few areas now - that module, the subwoofer and the rugs depending on how they dry out in addition to the labor to do all the above plus program the module and also to remove the e-box and clear that drain completely. As I mentioned I did start an insurance claim so I will be responsible for the deductible which is $500 and the insurance would pay the rest as part of what they are calling "flood damage" once the adjuster looks at it. I will make sure a BMW Center does the repair and hopefully everything that needs replacing gets replaced.

Feeling just a bit of relief... if you have any suggestions about anything please let me know.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Senior Members

I hope everything works out. The rain was terrible especially during the afternoon I just parked under a bridge with other motorists I have heard too many stories of BMWs hydrolocking...And now look how cold it is.. all the water is frozen :thumbsdown:.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jaycal3
insurance would pay the rest as part of what they are calling "flood damage" once the adjuster looks at it. I will make sure a BMW Center does the repair and hopefully everything that needs replacing gets replaced.

Feeling just a bit of relief... if you have any suggestions about anything please let me know.
Find out how the "flood damage" is going to be reported & tracked in your car's VIN and the insurance claim ... it might throw a CarFax red flag too.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Find out how the "flood damage" is going to be reported & tracked in your car's VIN and the insurance claim ... it might throw a CarFax red flag too.
I was wondering the same.. you already have $500 deductable..check the total damage and make sure it does not go into vehicle history while claiming insurance, it would be a pain selling the car with flood damage tag...
Old 12-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Thanks guys... I will clarify with them but I dont think it gets listed or labeled as a flood vehicle unless its totaled that way. Carfax will most likely list the problem as water damage to a module - I have seen this, but thats easy to explain. The $500 deductable will be a lot easier to swallow than a minimum of a few thousand dollars for all the parts and labor if I didnt go the insurance route, but I will double check what negatives may be associated with making a claim. If any of you have USAA for insurance out there you know how amazing they are...
Old 12-03-2010, 02:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Yep a USAA former military rear ended my first BMW and totaled it. An adjuster came in an E39 M5 and wrote it up as 'fixable' lol...I took it to BMW's certified repair shop who I've done business with in the past and they hooked it up. I drove the car for 4 years and make a couple thousand on top of it all.Good deal....I had to fight for that but I know what I'm doing....so great deal. Easy insurance to work with.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by healthservices
Sorry but if it is as bad as you say it is, it is totaled...
Sorry to say I think he's right.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Sorry to hear. I hope everything works out for the best!
Old 12-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I had this nightmare the other night...that water was pouring into my car from the roof and engulfing it from the floorboard. Don't know why it turned into a 'nightmare' .... as I could really give a shit if this happened. Lol. Better for me. Weird stuff.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Next Gen LEDS

sorry to hear, this is very unfortunate to occur

Quick Reply: 545i Flooded... worst day in my short BMW life...