E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Adaptive Cruise Control misbehaving!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

Normally the ACC would leave a good distance from the car ahead, and this is adjustable, for the past few days I tested it and now the distance is not so great and often times it doesn't even detect the car until it's really close.
Could it be the sensor? Is there a reset I can do?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Have you tried cleaning the sensor face/lens?
Old 09-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Senior Members

It seems like it's clean, I will try cleaning it tomorrow and see what happens, thanks.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco Blue 30k Sport | Ipod | Nav | Cold Weather| Ipod | HUD | L7 |

how do you know if you have ACC?

Im checking out a 2010 550i today ..
Old 09-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by aman27
how do you know if you have ACC?

Im checking out a 2010 550i today ..
If you are buying from a BMW dealership, just ask to see the option sheet or run the VIN. Otherwise look at the lower part of the front grille towards in the center area (between the foglamps). There is a circle hole cutout for the Active Cruise Control on the passenger side. There is also a circle hole cutout on the drivers side for Night Vision. If the cutout isn't there then you don't have that option.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Senior Members

Update, after a nice cleanup of the ACC sensor, it's working much better, also the grill bracket in front of the sensor was loose too, so I snapped it back in and all is good

Thanks again!
Old 09-22-2011, 01:07 AM
Members

be carefull...the sensor needs dealership calibration. even a slight modification in its angle could cause temporary or eratic malfunction, and it's needless to say what problems this could cause you (trusting a breaking device that is not 100% reliable). also, the distance can be set in 4 different ways...
Old 09-22-2011, 04:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 525xi

Features like this scare me

I'm a sucker for bells and whistles on cars. All those little details count. Things like lane departure warnings, blind-spot assist, etc are all pretty awesome. But trusting sensors to keep the car from accelerating into the car ahead? Yikes! =x

Also, on the topic of cars doing stuff for you... Has anyone ever tried one of those self-parallel-parking features on a car? Those also scare me.. but I'm curious to hear experiences.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricapar
Features like this scare me

I'm a sucker for bells and whistles on cars. All those little details count. Things like lane departure warnings, blind-spot assist, etc are all pretty awesome. But trusting sensors to keep the car from accelerating into the car ahead? Yikes! =x
Also, on the topic of cars doing stuff for you... Has anyone ever tried one of those self-parallel-parking features on a car? Those also scare me.. but I'm curious to hear experiences.
That is EXACTLY why I didn't get this option.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Senior Members

Well I drove all the way form Toronto to Indianapolis 1000Kms on cruise control, and never had a problem, yes you have to keep an eye on it, and have on occasion hit the breaks or the gas once or twice.

One great things about ACC is that it saves huge on gas, not sure why. I do however agree with you on the gadgets front, you can trust them entirely, and the BMW manual says that you also need to pay attention and not rely on it completely.

I will take it to BMW to have it calibrated as well.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruise Control misbehaving!!