E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530d Windscreen Wiper Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey Guys,

I was reading your forum a fair bit with regard to ipod integrations before buying my car - very useful there's a lot of great stuff on here! Hopefully some people will be able to help me out with this problem:

I've bought a 530d now, and everything has been good... except I didn't check the windscreen wipers worked correctly before I handed over the cash (whoops). Guess what the one thing that doesn't work properly is...

They wipe/wash correctly first time around, wipe continuously (no way of stopping them) and then stop at some random point on the windscreen. Occaisonally I can get them going again but normally they get completely stuck and don't move at all until the engine is turned off/turned back on. As soon as the engine is restarted, they wipe fine again, and then stop in the wrong place and no longer move.

I followed an example on the net about cleaning the wiper relay to no avail; exactly the same symptoms after filing down the relay contact. http://www.dgce.co.uk/ <- Great guide by the way.

I've ordered a new relay just in case that solves the problem, but in the mean time, has anyone got suggestions? I might replace the rain sensor if the new relay doesn't solve the problem.

Cheers,

Jon

Bonus pic: New e60 against old sold e46

Old 03-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi jizzleb and welcome to the Forum!

I don't think the rain sensor is the problem.
The relay is a good guess as I see it.

Hope it fixes the problem, otherwise it can get expensive
(at the dealers).

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='828284' date='Mar 27 2009, 12:12 PM
Hi jizzleb and welcome to the Forum!

I don't think the rain sensor is the problem.
The relay is a good guess as I see it.

Hope it fixes the problem, otherwise it can get expensive
(at the dealers).

Good luck!
Cheers,

In that case I'll wait until the new relay comes unless anyone has a better idea, and post the results with the new one fitted.

Jon
Old 03-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Members

+one thing I left out: The windscreen had been smashed by a vandal and replaced by the previous owner. With OEM glass? Who knows?

I read that the rain sensor might need resetting or something. Just thought I'd throw that in there incase it helped.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by jizzleb' post='828308' date='Mar 27 2009, 07:30 PM
+one thing I left out: The windscreen had been smashed by a vandal and replaced by the previous owner. With OEM glass? Who knows?
I read that the rain sensor might need resetting or something. Just thought I'd throw that in there incase it helped.
Hope it's a OEM, but that you easily find out of the writings on the glass.

This theory could also be the cause to the problem.
Have your problems occurred in interval- or normal "wiping"?

Actually now thinking deeper into your problem,
if the relay or the motor would be defected the wipers should not work at all!

Some kind of contact malfunction is also possible, but when you mentioned the
change of the glass...
Old 03-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

here is my guess: it could be bolt (or screw) that holds the wiper. If it is half way unscrewed this can happen.

I had this problem on my company scion and it was easy fix. Not sure if that's the case on E60
Old 03-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='828312
here is my guess: it could be bolt (or screw) that holds the wiper. If it is half way unscrewed this can happen.

I had this problem on my company scion and it was easy fix. Not sure if that's the case on E60
Cheers, I'll look into this over the weekend.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Members

i have the same problem with E60 525.The wipers windscreen stopped in the midle of the glass.But this problem happend once in a while.Know someone where is the problem ?the problem is relay or motor ?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:23 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535d Touring

Hi, lifting this old thread. Now I got the same problem....
When I turn on the wipers they make 10 sweeps and then stop in wrong position. I can restart the wipers and they do the same thing but stops in next wrong position. Then they are dead for 3-4 minutes and after that the same procedure can be done again. Washer is also not working. When stop and restart the car the procedure also can be repeated.
I had the car to BMW dealer and they said the motor and wiper arms must be replaced. >700 Euro!!
That doesn't seem logical as the motor works? In my mind it seems lika a relay or data box failure?
Anyone solved the problem?
Old 09-27-2016, 12:34 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 N52 525i M
Default E60 wiper problem

I've had the same symptoms as above. I've replaced the relay £40!!!! And it worked for a bit. I'm still getting about ten wipes on any setting then it times out. Turning off the car won't clear it either. My next step is to clear the fault by removing the power. Anyone have any other ideas please??

Quick Reply: 530d Windscreen Wiper Problem