E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

525d 3.0/530d 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

It just ramps the response curve of your throttle inputs making your car "feel" faster because its got crisper quicker throttle response, effectively shortening the stroke of your pedal.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d LCI - xenon, tv function,grey dakota leather,titanium silver,244 radial spokes.

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='767547' date='Jan 14 2009, 08:17 AM
It just ramps the response curve of your throttle inputs making your car "feel" faster because its got crisper quicker throttle response, effectively shortening the stroke of your pedal.
Yes, i know its basic funcation. But does it result in any improvements on your performance timings.
It probably does make the drive a little uncomfortable for passangers as you get jerked into your seat because of the sudden torque.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='766629' date='Jan 13 2009, 12:58 PM
Sorry, was referring to non-LCI cars... Anyway, thanks for the clarification and that you took the time to check!
No problem.....that's what these boards are all about - helping each other clarify "what's what"!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Sahil' post='767449' date='Jan 14 2009, 07:09 AM
Damn, there go all my plans to remap! So we 525d LCI owners have no option to quench our hunger thurst if any. Or probably the SpringBooster is the closest you can get, won't increase torque but would it improve the performance 0 to 60 timing at all?

Btw, several 525d LCI's here have had remaps, anyone reported a transmission problem yet ?
Not necessarily - firstly if depends if you have a manual or auto. If it's a manual, there's no problem. If it's an auto, then it is a debatable issue, as the gearbox, being rated at 400NM (as the engine output) will have built in extra tolerance by BMW - they will aways include a 'safety margin'. But it's whether an owner wants to 'risk' eating into that.

In my experience, I don't like the overall Sprintbooster experience on my particular car - which I know will go against what most people's views are on here!

Firstly bare in mind that I have a manual car. The Sprintbooster for a manual is 'more aggressive'. The problem I have is that the throttle pedal becomes way too sensitive for town driving e.g. queuing in traffic. The slightest touch lurches the car forward. I think this effect is exaggerated further with the car being diesel and therefore having a turbo. When this cuts in, the feeling is quite "aggressive" with the SB fitted even with the slightest touch of the pedal. When driving on more open roads in a spirited manner it's excellent! I did try the throttle reset procedure which improved the issue but didn't fully resolve it. It's a real shame as I love it in the right conditions, and hate it in other conditions. I really wish these could be fitted with a simple on/off switch!

Maybe my experience would be better with the "auto" version as this is less aggressive. This can be fitted to manual cars as a less aggressive option. Other's who have them on auto cars swear by them!

I now have another form of 'tuning' fitted to my car which does make a big difference but have removed the SB for everyday driving.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d LCI - xenon, tv function,grey dakota leather,titanium silver,244 radial spokes.

Palmo, mind sharing with us what other form of tuning you have on your car?
Btw, my car is automatic.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Sahil' post='767774' date='Jan 14 2009, 05:57 PM
Palmo, mind sharing with us what other form of tuning you have on your car?
Btw, my car is automatic.
Take a look HERE! Have a read about the way this works, its quite impressive.

245ps (up from 197ps) & 510Nm (up from 400NM), so slightly up on a standard LCI 530d. OK, so I'm not sure how accurate the figures quoted are as I've not had it on a dyno, but there is a noticeable difference, particularly in the midrange torque.

As a point of reference, along a local road there is a stretch up a steep hill where I have tried a comparison test of 40-60mph in 4th gear with & without it fitted. The speed limit is 40mph to begin with then increases to 60mph as it goes into the country on the steepest part of the hill.

As a test I set cruise to 40mph in 4th gear (manual gearbox) and when I get to the 60mph sign I floor it and set the stop-watch going, and time how long it takes to get to 60mph, whilst staying in 4th. Without the device fitted it takes 10 seconds dead (remember it is a steep hill). With the device fitted it takes 7 seconds dead - that's 30% faster! I did an average of 5 runs with & without fitted.

After 10k miles, no detrimental running effects at all. Some will argue it's not as good as a remap and they may be right, but I don't believe this device is much behind - it is not to be mistaken with the cheap crude eBay alternatives. The best part it takes 5 mins to fit / completely remove.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Members

All the tuning boxes I have seen fit in between the rail pressure sensor and the ECU.
This means the only way to acheive more power is to reduce the rail pressure feedback signal the ECU receives.
The ECU will then open the injectors for the pulse width needed at the reduced pressure (longer time), but in reality the rail pressure is higher so more fuel is injected.
If anyone knows different I'd like to hear it.

Jason

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='763103' date='Jan 8 2009, 07:32 PM
There is many many rumours of what so called "chip boxes" / tuning boxes really do..........not one of them proved conclusively, if someone has conclusive and irrefutable proof I would like to see it.

The most likely scenario I had heard so far is that it fools the fuel pump into delivering higher fuel pressures because its thinking its delivering less than it already is.

I can say that I can conducting a test on this very subject..........I will be posting my results when I have them sometime in the near future.

Currently I'm running a tuning box, so far its proved powerful and more economical than standard.

More in another thread another time
Old 01-15-2009, 12:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Everything can be broken!

I have had my car reprogrammed now 5 years and about 100k km and no any problems in motor or transmission. These are not race cars, even I can drive The Ring in around 8:45 at the empty, dry track.

I can recommend REMAP, If You are ready to accept POSSIBILITY of damages. I hit to armcor! Without remap, probably could not get so much speed to that corner!

Skaffa
Old 01-15-2009, 04:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

In the years I have been viewing the BMW forums of various types I have seen many many descriptions of how tuning boxes work, not one of those theories have been proven properly.

Until someone can prove beyond reasonable doubt how they work ( and indeed if ALL work like that ) I will keep an open mind.

I have even had contradicting explanations from reputable tuning companies claiming how they work..........just further confused the situation for me.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='768507' date='Jan 15 2009, 09:56 AM
In the years I have been viewing the BMW forums of various types I have seen many many descriptions of how tuning boxes work, not one of those theories have been proven properly.

Until someone can prove beyond reasonable doubt how they work ( and indeed if ALL work like that ) I will keep an open mind.

I have even had contradicting explanations from reputable tuning companies claiming how they work..........just further confused the situation for me.
You need to talk to someone who works with common rail diesels for an OEM, only then will you get the truth

Quick Reply: 525d 3.0/530d 3.0