E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

525d 3.0/530d 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new 525d SE Touring comes this month. While the 535d has twin turbos and, I think, different entrails, is there any difference other than the ECU settings between the 525d 3.0 and the current 530d 3.0? If not, I would imagine superchips or some similar would be able to pep up the 525d without the um, generous, contribution of nearly ?4000 to the Quandt family profit of the 530d over the 525d. Why am I quibbling anyway - surely 197bhp ought to keep me happy (but I am trading from a 745Li).
Old 05-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by phoenix' post='588678' date='May 26 2008, 10:14 PM
My new 525d SE Touring comes this month. While the 535d has twin turbos and, I think, different entrails, is there any difference other than the ECU settings between the 525d 3.0 and the current 530d 3.0? If not, I would imagine superchips or some similar would be able to pep up the 525d without the um, generous, contribution of nearly ?4000 to the Quandt family profit of the 530d over the 525d. Why am I quibbling anyway - surely 197bhp ought to keep me happy (but I am trading from a 745Li).

It's mainly the ECU electronics. A lot of companies like DMS can easily go to 235hp/500nm with you 525d. Cost around ? 600,-
If you want real power, Hartge will do 271hp/590nm for ? 1350,- ex VAT.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by phoenix' post='588678' date='May 26 2008, 09:14 PM
I have an LCI 525d myself. I have never fully got to the bottom of what the exact differences are. Initially I was led to believe that the turbo's were different, as were the injectors and some other pipework - and of course the engine map itself. However, it does appear that the turbo's are in fact the same and I think I am right in saying everything else is the same (hardware wise) with the possible exception of the injectors although it has been suggested that these are in fact the same too. It therefore remains that the main difference may only be the engine map itself afterall.

As stated by 'Eddy' several companies such as DMS, ChippedUK, e-maps etc. can easily go to 235hp/500nm with the 525d (same as a standard 530d). However, Hartge can go one better and achieve 271hp/590nm, whilst ESS Tuning claim to be able to achieve 280hp/600nm. These last two are almost identical to what a remapped 530d can achieve, which must confirm the hardware between the 2 are the same or at least very similar.

A good choice you've made either way with the 525d as I believe this to be the best compromise between performance, economy and price - which is why I got one myself.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d LCI - xenon, tv function,grey dakota leather,titanium silver,244 radial spokes.

Frankly, I have been very tempted to get an ECU remap on my 525d, but wouldn't void my warranty? Some devices are plug-n-play so you can remove it every time your car is in the dealership but at the end of the day does it really harm your engine, since you are pushing it to another level it might increase wear-n-tear?

Also, i have heard that remaps have some side-effects like excessive black smoke from the exhaust and a drop in fuel efficiency?
Old 05-27-2008, 05:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Sahil' post='589051' date='May 27 2008, 12:57 PM
Frankly, I have been very tempted to get an ECU remap on my 525d, but wouldn't void my warranty? Some devices are plug-n-play so you can remove it every time your car is in the dealership but at the end of the day does it really harm your engine, since you are pushing it to another level it might increase wear-n-tear?

Also, i have heard that remaps have some side-effects like excessive black smoke from the exhaust and a drop in fuel efficiency?
Agree that warranty becomes an issue after having a remap. There are Plug & Play devices out there which are very good (I have experience of one of them) and as you say they can be removed for servicing etc. Not all are the same though and some are really to be avoided!

I don't think upgrades to the 525d engine we are talking about would cause any problems whatsoever to the engine, at the end of the day the engine is the same 3.0d as the 530d, and the basic engine is the same as used in the 535d (albeit without the extra turbo etc.). Therefore BMW themselves must think the engine is strong enough to run these increased outputs or they simply wouldn't do it.

The 525d is a strong engine IMHO. I have seen a few articles that quotes the new 3.0 525d to have one of the best hp increase potentials for your money based on the fact of how much cheaper it is to buy compared to a 530d & 535d in the first place.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='589104' date='May 27 2008, 02:48 PM
Agree that warranty becomes an issue after having a remap. There are Plug & Play devices out there which are very good (I have experience of one of them) and as you say they can be removed for servicing etc. Not all are the same though and some are really to be avoided!

I don't think upgrades to the 525d engine we are talking about would cause any problems whatsoever to the engine, at the end of the day the engine is the same 3.0d as the 530d, and the basic engine is the same as used in the 535d (albeit without the extra turbo etc.). Therefore BMW themselves must think the engine is strong enough to run these increased outputs or they simply wouldn't do it.

The 525d is a strong engine IMHO. I have seen a few articles that quotes the new 3.0 525d to have one of the best hp increase potentials for your money based on the fact of how much cheaper it is to buy compared to a 530d & 535d in the first place.
- many thanks to you all - I had an email from Superchips today which said that they had a remapping under development and would let me know when it was available - will post when I hear more.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:45 AM
Members

Any more news, i'm getting a 525d SE LCI, and very keen to see what the new engine could do. I used to run an E39 530d and this new one seems uber-similar in most respects. Chip away!
Old 07-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d LCI - xenon, tv function,grey dakota leather,titanium silver,244 radial spokes.

Has anyone ever tried retrofitting a 530d ECU in a 525d ? If someone can pull off this scam with a dealership, u could convert your 525d into a 530d for a fraction of the cost!
I dont see it being a big problem if you can get hold of a 530d ECU
Old 01-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

Why not just remap it. It's the same ECU, just with different settings.
A powerbox would also work, but i'm not sure that's a good idea (fools the ECU into thinking there is less air and fuel in the engine).

/edit:
Just noticed this was a really old thread
Old 01-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

There is many many rumours of what so called "chip boxes" / tuning boxes really do..........not one of them proved conclusively, if someone has conclusive and irrefutable proof I would like to see it.

The most likely scenario I had heard so far is that it fools the fuel pump into delivering higher fuel pressures because its thinking its delivering less than it already is.

I can say that I can conducting a test on this very subject..........I will be posting my results when I have them sometime in the near future.

Currently I'm running a tuning box, so far its proved powerful and more economical than standard.

More in another thread another time

Quick Reply: 525d 3.0/530d 3.0