E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 550i M Sport under body panel question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 05:01 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 BMW 550i Sport
Model Year: 2009
Default 2009 550i M Sport under body panel question

New to me 2009 550i with M Sport package.

The rear most part of the bottom of the FRONT bumper didn't look right when viewed from the front of the car. I didn't think you were supposed to see the black screws at the rear and it looked like the bottom was angled too much and should be more level.

I raised the car to check out the underside and found the panel under the engine was loose and not supporting the rear of the bumper like I assumed it should. I also found evidence the bumper probably snagged a parking space stop and pulled forward so I thought it just came untucked.

The bottom of the bumper has a black channel that is attached to the topside by the screws that I can see from the front of the car. The channel is open to the rear where it looks like the under car panel slides into it and would hold up the bumper when the panel is anchored to the clips under the car.

However, when I removed the under car panel to slide it all the way into the channel there is no way to secure the screws into the clips under the car because they don't line up by almost 4 inches forward and back and about an inch up and down. The panel can be attached at the four side and four rear clips under the car but when it is attached the front of the panel has to go over the rear of the bumper by the 4 inches and does not support the bumper.

My question is: Are there two different parts for the under engine cover and maybe the previous owner ordered the wrong replacement part if it was damaged? Perhaps the sport bumper has a shorter version that connects the way I'm thinking it should?

Any thoughts? Anyone know the correct part number if they are different?

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2015, 05:19 PM
New Members

Part 51717200846 (Engine encapsulation, front) Is what I have found on realoem.com and I haven't been able to find separate parts for different models. However, there does seem to be a different part for pre LCI cars....
Old 03-04-2015, 09:10 PM
New Members

Upon further assessment, I overstated the variance a little.

When the panel is attached to the bottom of the car and goes over the bottom of the bumper, I can see that it is about an inch longer than the depth of the channel when I manually lift the bottom edge of the bumper up. I can also see that the five screws that connect the channel to the bumper stick up inside the channel and would appear to block the panel from being able to go all the way in, which is why it looked like a greater variance.

Assuming I have the original part, how does this get put together correctly?

With all the posts from people upgrading to the M sport bumper, there must be a post with step by step instructions with pictures, but I couldn't find one.

Could I get some advice on the proper install method, please..

Thanks!